Remove this ad

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#21 [url]

Jan 15 17 8:06 PM

As I mentioned in the past, if a webcomic is meant to be of a certain genre, the best reviews would be by someone with the most familiarity with that genre.  A webcomic based on Sonic The Hedgehog would be best written by someone familiar with the actual Sonic The Hedgehog scenario, for example.

​Of course, when I wrote the review of Wormcurse, I had little familiarity with the swords and sorcery genre.  However, that webcomic was done so badly that it didn't matter.  I was the only one who had the stomach to read much of that horribly-drawn webcomic!  If a webcomic is TOO terrible, of course, you don;t need to know the genre it is based upon to write a review of it!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Beardfist

Regular User

#22 [url]

Jan 15 17 8:07 PM

In the descriptions of the pages, he usually lists who the characters belong to and so on and so forth. The Goku character looks familiar to you because that's his self-insert, wearing the same hat and sword thing as he is in his profile picture thing.

A lot of these references I've honestly missed myself, even if I can see some of them looking back. So in a way, I'm certainly not the intended audience-though even if I were, yeah, this still doesn't work out. A friend of mine seems to have some qualms because of just how low-hanging of fruit this is, and the reality that any criticism probably won't influence the way that anyone at all thinks, especially not the artist...

but at the same time I cannot resist something so perfectly bad. I've honestly been just laughing page after page at what new things the guy throws in to keep it confusingly confoundingly bad.

It might be best for me, then, to just work partwise and go over some of the more subtle flaws in the art department, for example. Things that you see, but you don't really notice that you see. Certainly, for example, it's easy to notice that every single shot is a fucking medium of characters standing in the same poses from torso-up, but what about things like continuitiy of character position--or even the way clothing is drawn on characters, that is broken from panel to panel? Those sorts of little juicy details I'm adept at picking up. 

Last Edited By: Beardfist Jan 15 17 8:13 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#23 [url]

Jan 15 17 8:23 PM

"and the reality that any criticism probably won't influence the way that anyone at all thinks, especially not the artist..."

I think it rarely does. In some ways, it's almost not even the point. If you can create (or co-create) a review that is its own distinct entity that's also entertaining, your work here is done.

If someone does take the criticism on board and makes a better product too, well, that's an added bonus but we don't go in with a default expectation of it ever happening.

Added bonus for the creator (whether they deserve it or not), increased referral traffic too.

Usually, everyone gets something out of this.

Quote    Reply   

Beardfist

Regular User

#24 [url]

Jan 15 17 8:27 PM

Mm. I suppose, yeah, I can see the value in that. You take all the joy and amusement of reading through something so beautifully awful as this, condense it down into a critical segment, and let people just enjoy that brief little taste of backgrounds ripped from games and shoved in as establishing shots.

I'll fiddle with writing some parts to a more complete review, I think, and leave the areas that require more knowledge of the genre to people who... well, do. And I suppose go along from there.

EDIT: may take a while longer than I originally planned, since I now won't have much in the way of free time until thursday at the earliest. 

Last Edited By: Beardfist Jan 17 17 7:26 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

plarblman

Living Spambot

#25 [url]

Jan 16 17 12:19 PM

FUCKING HELL THIS WAS LABORIOUS

Okay, so I went through both books one and two. And while nearly every female character gets naked at least once, I decided not to count minor characters or statistical outliers. So, that leaves us with Coco, Julia, Cora, Steph, and Kate as the most frequent stripeteers.

Number of panels in book 1 featuring these characters: 243
Number of panels where they're ass-naked: 115
Average time spent in their birthday suits: 47%

Number of panels in book 2 featuring these characters: 299
Number of panels where they're ass-naked: 83
Average time spent in their birthday suits: 28%

Hopefully you'll find this useful because I'm not going through it a second time.

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Jan 19 17 4:18 PM

It's about time someone brought him up.

Though it's a shame that he didn't have a proper website to put them in; all he had is a Deviantart Account.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Jacob Jones

Regular User

#28 [url]

Feb 4 17 9:34 AM

SpazzticBunnyhood wrote:
Oh my gosh, just saw this now and this comic is just...wow. XD Good luck to whoever has the courage to tackle this!

Something tells me we're gonna need another co-op for this one.

Quote    Reply   

Beardfist

Regular User

#29 [url]

Feb 5 17 7:31 AM

I still intend to do the art analysis, but almost immediately after saying I would the two weeks or so, my workload at work and around the house increased. Throw in birthday celeberations and old friends popping out of the woods to get angry at me, and it makes a problem.

Quote    Reply   

Beardfist

Regular User

#30 [url]

Feb 7 17 5:40 AM

To point, yesterday I set aside a block of time after work to ram something out--and I got dragged into something else. So I think if someone else wants to do the art review, by all means--but even so, I'll still write my own, in the event there's snippets I grab that someone else may not. And I'll expand it out to writing, too, though I'll also stay away from story (as I don't know nothin bout the damn game). They'll just be dubiously slow to arrive, I suppose.

Quote    Reply   

plarblman

Living Spambot

#31 [url]

Feb 7 17 6:13 AM

I could probably help. I think the basics of the art itself could be covered pretty quickly (linework sucks, flat colors, inconsistent anatomy, etc) but I could also go into some depth about how the characters are just recolors cosplaying as final fantasy characters. 

Quote    Reply   

Beardfist

Regular User

#32 [url]

Feb 7 17 10:35 AM

There's that, too, yeah. More thematic problems. I was actually going for an angle of 'we know it's obviously awful, but let's peel that away and look at the more subtle ways in which it fails as a comic.' Off of the top of my head, how two characters will be on one side of the panel division for a while, and then suddenly they switch sides to the opposite in a completely jarring way.

Because on a basic level, yeah, it's easy to just look at the art and realize it was drawn on a single layer, in MS paint, by someone who had no interest in improving.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help