Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 9 17 4:02 AM

Tags : :

Heyo

Not that long ago, Gyno-Star had an arc where a not-trump (in the very subtle form of a large blob of shit) was the villain

towards the end of that, a sparkly blue cloud of what I think is supposed to be the alt-right or something, points out "You'll never win over the base by driving it away"

http://www.gynostar.com/archives/comic/dont-keep-losing-faith

By base they mean the people voting right wing - and driving it away... fairly self evident.

The kicker is the response to this: This is rejected. Gyno-star says she doesn't want to win the base over.

I think this is worth adding to the review. It is a great example of the comic and its maker's overall MO. It doesn't want to win anyone over - it just wants to bash things/people they do not like.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

#1 [url]

Jun 9 17 6:34 AM

I'm against piecemeal updates, myself. I would prefer it that an update look at everything since the review was written in 2013 and write up a comment on all of the content since then in at least a paragraph or more. Ditto Misfile if that ever happens and so on.

If anything, I would like to discuss the possibility of ... let's say in 2020, any webcomics that got reviewed in ... let's say 2010-2015 have maybe even a whole new update section or even page covering all the major things that happened since then.

Quote    Reply   

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#3 [url]

Jun 9 17 2:26 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
We have minor updates all the time. You yourself added stuff that happened in 2013 to YU+ME Dream a week ago without recounting anything that happened in the year since it got reviewed.

I do periodic sweeps of the reviews I contributed to, and I find anything of significance happened with that webcomic, I change the review accordingly.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#4 [url]

Jun 9 17 3:07 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
We have minor updates all the time. You yourself added stuff that happened in 2013 to YU+ME Dream a week ago without recounting anything that happened in the year since it got reviewed.

That was just a small bit of trivia. This kind of goes a bit beyond that. I'm not saying don't update it (nor do I have the *power* to stop an update) but I was just thinking something more expansive if anything is going to be added.

Here's the strip in question and my 2 cents.

I would think it's already been established with the character from some time back that this would be the character's position in universe with the story but stepped back into the meta-commentary on the real world, I think it's also showing that whether or not we agree over why our side lost (for this is an argument going on to this day), it also tacitly seems to imply that the author agrees that we did indeed lose this round.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#6 [url]

Jun 9 17 3:28 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
Significant changes to a review requires approval, though, and a lot of times adding to a review doesn't enhance it. It's not a wiki entry for a comic, it's a review in a wiki format.

Well, exactly. I completely agree with that. I think it's possible that this falls under that category, therefore either do nothing (even if not the specific event itself is in the review - obvious because this is a few years later - it should be easy to extrapolate that this would be obvious from the premise and character set up) or if it's thought there should be an addition to refer to something along these lines, make it part of a bigger entry after approval.

(eg: When I first got here, the Exiern review from 2013 only covered up to early 2008, after a lot of back and forth in the forums, I got the OK to update it to cover everything to at that time late 2015 especially as it had changed quite a lot by then. So basically, if something's happened with Gyno-Star along the same lines, if approved, same thing here.)

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#8 [url]

Jun 12 17 1:11 AM

I'm not eliminating anything. I'm just giving my opinion that it's not necessary in and of itself as it could be projected based on the existing content of the review and its description of the character/storyline. Are we going to do this for all the other ones with a potential political slant? Every time there's a change in administration?

But that's just my opinion. You're the man upstairs, the big cheese, the man with the plan, the man in charge*. It's your call. We all play the hand fate dealt us.

*Well, after izzus enters a state of drunkenness he never surfaces from, Long Tom get trapped by a broken zip, plarblman stands up too fast and snaps in two, and oddguy finally catches on fire that we can't put out. Of course, you have nothing to do with MakarovJAC's continued absence either ...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

Jun 12 17 3:35 AM

Interesting

well, it was DrShaym and MakarovJAC who wrote the original review. Should I ask them if its ok to add this to the review?

Like I said - I think its a worthwhile addition to the comic, to highlight the overall theme of the comic of simply bashing people and concepts that the author doesn't like, instead of actually trying to talk to people.
and like I

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#10 [url]

Jun 12 17 3:40 AM

webkilla wrote:
Interesting

well, it was DrShaym and MakarovJAC who wrote the original review. Should I ask them if its ok to add this to the review?

Like I said - I think its a worthwhile addition to the comic, to highlight the overall theme of the comic of simply bashing people and concepts that the author doesn't like, instead of actually trying to talk to people.
and like I

MakarovJAC hasn't been seen since August 2015 and DrShaym since February 2016. Smash has nothing to with their absence since those dates. I assure you, he totally has nothing to do with it. He also has no wish to take over the administrator position from oddguy who is also repeatedly missing but periodically comes back.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#12 [url]

Jun 12 17 12:14 PM

webkilla wrote:
Oh I know that feeling

so... does that mean its ok to add this to the review or not? I wont remove anything from it, only add a new bit to it
Yeah, if it's a short addition just throw it in. Try to match the tone and style of the rest of the review.

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#14 [url]

Jun 13 17 3:37 PM

The update really should have been put into the review, not given its own section, and it's more than a couple paragraphs. I wish oddguy was around because I forget the maximum addition something could be to avoid approval.

The other problem is you led with "it was like she was trying to prove the review right" but it's kind of the opposite. The review contended she did want to change people's minds and your conclusion was she was proving she didn't. I'd take some of what you said and throw it into "Not trying to spread a message, huh?" Maybe argue from the point she was trying to reinforce her claims rather than prove us right.

It could also use more links; you mention a whole plot line but only link to a page of its conclusion you also put in an image for.

EDIT: Yea, it's going to need some work. I finally just jumped to the beginning of the story line (in January) and I think you misinterpreted it. I mean, it's awful, and you're sort of right that Trump is kind of a part of it, but the whole thing is far stupider than you described. Internet comments-turned-golem eat the establishment GOP which, after pausing for a joke delivery so old it's practically dust, goes on a predictable rampage of saying mean things. Then Republican heroes show up in this terribly typeset comic, where the idiot doing Gyno Star demonstrates she has no clue what was going on with half the voting population of the country during 2016. This happens then the same thing happens to Gyno Star.

Apparently that floating cloud thing was the result of hitting some of the shit golem matter with the "Enlightenmening Ray" to get it off of her. I think it represents the less-crazy-but-still-WRONG intellectuals of the political right.

Where it really goes off the rails is when the author just starts accusing it of everything true about her side. Calling for boycotts, getting triggered by words, and needing a safe space.

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Last Edited By: SmashLampjaw Jun 13 17 4:06 PM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jun 14 17 12:20 AM

Well dip me in butter and call me July - here I was focusing on that one bit so much I failed to get the bigger picture. I didn't want to reread the whole arc because I too found it to be so incredibly stupid...

Should I just remove what I put up, or amend it with what you put into your edit? I mean, it is still a perfect shitstorm of the whole comic, showing how Cohen projects her bullshit onto her strawmen. I mean, to think that you can frighten off an internet commenter blob by repeatedly saying "trigger word!" is so incredibly stupid.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help