Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

Lead

Jun 13 17 3:27 PM

Tags : :

https://comicfury.com/forum/viewthread.php?id=33374

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2017/06/13/webcomic-fans-rejoice-library-of-congress-is-launching-a-new-archive-for-you/?utm_term=.3b826f9306c9

"About forty comics are currently archived, including The Abominable Charles Christopher, xkcd, Girl Genius, Octopus Pie, and Nimona."

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#3 [url]

Jun 13 17 5:47 PM

I don't say this very often, but I'm a little offended. I can't believe my money is paying for this. The worst webcomic I recognize in that list is "Scenes From A Multiverse" which I could have sworn I threw into the Bad Comics subforum...

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#4 [url]

Jun 13 17 5:58 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
I don't say this very often, but I'm a little offended. I can't believe my money is paying for this. The worst webcomic I recognize in that list is "Scenes From A Multiverse" which I could have sworn I threw into the Bad Comics subforum...

I thought this place runs on perpetual outrage? Look, I think it's a mostly accepted premise that most webcomics are terrible especially since there's no barrier for entry. The disagreement often tends to be on what falls into the "most".

I'll post this link here in the dedicated thread for this as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Film_Registry

So we can all see how a more established setup with a longer history handles a similar premise. Now film production has a barrier just by cost alone before distribution even comes into it but I'm sure we all have titles on what's been archived which we can't stand.

Anyway, I think this is overall a good thing. For starters, a few good ones will make it by virtue of being ... well, good and you've got to look at this another way. It's an opportunity.

How so? A whole new world of targets that might not otherwise have come to attention, for starters ...

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jun 14 17 3:08 AM

Nomstuff wrote:
Does this mean they take it seriously as an artform though?

probably not - more likely its simply to preserve it for later

they already archive ALL TWEETs

Its actually something that a lot of historians wonder about: How will we read .Jpg files in 200 years? Can we be sure that there will be backwards compatibility forever?

Its that kind of stuff that archives like this actually help address

but ya - not that impressive selection so far, but I'm sore more crap will be heaped on it

Quote    Reply   

plarblman

Living Spambot

#8 [url]

Jun 14 17 5:58 AM

Maybe we should make a sassy new banner template for this along the lines of "Your tax dollars at work, folks"

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#12 [url]

Jun 15 17 1:43 PM

plarblman wrote:
Maybe we should make a sassy new banner template for this along the lines of "Your tax dollars at work, folks"

When I took a motorcoach tour of Florida many years ago, I saw a sign along the highway which said, "WELCOME TO DUMP CITY YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK".  Would have liked to have known what it was about.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#13 [url]

Jun 15 17 1:49 PM

Long Tom wrote:

plarblman wrote:

When I took a motorcoach tour of Florida many years ago, I saw a sign along the highway which said, "WELCOME TO DUMP CITY YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK".  Would have liked to have known what it was about.

My guess is that it's a landfill.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#15 [url]

Jun 15 17 2:58 PM

Long Tom wrote:
plarblman wrote:

Given it's Florida we're talking about, the motive is impossible to guess. In looking for what you were talking about I stumbled onto these instead. Tag inspiration, maybe?

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jun 15 17 6:33 PM

IMO, I think the only comic on that listing that's "Great" is The Abominable Charles Christopher. But that might be becaue I've never heard of half of those.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help