Remove this ad

#201 [url]

Apr 15 17 6:31 AM

SmashLampjaw wrote:

Lt Art Major wrote:
Smash did not deliver. :(

A bunch of crap all happened at the same time and stalled production. :(

Still working on this. Albeit more slowly. If you want to review something gigantic, I'd (once again) recommend Girl Genius. It's been on the list for ages but I don't think anyone but you and me have read the whole thing.

I'm not trying to take over the review. I don't want to review it here anymore. I'm occupied with something else at the moment. Girl Genius is still on my list for reviewing, but it may take a while to start, as I need to re-read the webcomic.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Drewski

Casual User

#202 [url]

Apr 21 17 7:09 AM

Yeah, now that you mention it, Sluggy has no tunes. I agree its animations and games were much simpler than HS, and the reader-chosen plot points were small and few. But that's a matter of degree, not kind.

Likewise, HS pulled some neat tricks like using the title banner to show a perspective of the action. While not in itself a groundbreaking idea, he used it to good effect and pushed its narrative ability maybe farther than anyone else.

I don't mean to detract from Hussy's work, which was ambitious, merely to suggest that multimedia presentation is a feature of webcomics. Partly because others do so, if on a smaller scale--and Sluggy is one of the best examples for sheer variety of presentation.

Quote    Reply   

z

Casual User

#203 [url]

May 9 17 7:16 AM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
Gonna review this bastard next week. I'm pretty sure I can get the first draft ready by the Ides of March. I'm going to open the draft up to suggestions, because I know a lot of us have strong opinions about this thing and I will be intentionally leaving out material (which someone may make a compelling argument should be included), but I will be writing it with the angle of infuriating his tumblr fanbase.

I'd like to shoot for dropping the review on April 13, for reasons that should be obvious to other people who've read Homestuck.

Attacking the Tumblr fanbase is sortof an easy target and wouldn't be really funny, since it's kinda dead at this point, outside of a few dedicated artists and fans. It would be beating a dead horse at that point.

If you want a challenge, try to infuriate /r/homestuck. It's probably the only active public part of the fanbase outside of private chatrooms and the like.

Also, is the next date for dropping the review gonna be 6/12, in spite of you getting stalled? (since that is the second date that is used a lot.)

((In case anyone was wondering why I respond to this thread, as much as I personally am a fan of Homestuck, I can see why others could dislike it and am one of the first to agree that after Act 6 Intermission 3 it kinda dropped in quality.))

If you are curious about what I think should be included, pick and match any of the following:
  • Act 6 Intermission 3 (Alterniabound): You know why. The personal point where Homestuck started going backwards for me. The mass of useless characters introduced shortselled Alterniabound on being good. It should just have focused on Meenah and Aranea, the only new characters that were relevant later on.
  • Killing off Spades Slick in Collide: It's probably one of the least eventful deaths in the comic, and didn't add any progress to the characters arc, which was already needlessly extended past Cascade. He should have been killed off in Cascade as it was the logical conclusion of his arc at that point. <-- Strong argument towards this one. This is still a sore spot for me.
  • The non-ending. Act 7 basically focused on completely irrelevant parts of Homestuck (joy, they win the game. when was the last time we heard about it? half a comic ago?) and felt like Hussie just wanted to get it over with. Kinda like the author dropped his interest and wanted to move on. The credits resolved that mostly, but at the time there was NO messages at all from the author on the status of it, and I personally don't think the Credits took 6 months to produce and that they wanted to do meme dates again.
  • The needless fan-appeasing at the end: In short, the latter quarter of the comic (after the retcon), was a lot of fan-appeasing. I already discussed my reasoning about davepetasprite earlier (which also goes up for almost all other sprites post-retcon), but a lot of other (not-killed) characters became almost unrecognizable after the retcon. This goes up in particular for these characters: Dave, Vriska (who after promising to be a better person moments before the retcon goes back to her old ways) and Terezi.

Quote    Reply   

#204 [url]

May 9 17 10:19 AM

z wrote:

SmashLampjaw wrote:
Gonna review this bastard next week. I'm pretty sure I can get the first draft ready by the Ides of March. I'm going to open the draft up to suggestions, because I know a lot of us have strong opinions about this thing and I will be intentionally leaving out material (which someone may make a compelling argument should be included), but I will be writing it with the angle of infuriating his tumblr fanbase.

I'd like to shoot for dropping the review on April 13, for reasons that should be obvious to other people who've read Homestuck.

Attacking the Tumblr fanbase is sortof an easy target and wouldn't be really funny, since it's kinda dead at this point, outside of a few dedicated artists and fans. It would be beating a dead horse at that point.

If you want a challenge, try to infuriate /r/homestuck. It's probably the only active public part of the fanbase outside of private chatrooms and the like.

I wanted to say something about "writing it with the angle of ingurating his tumblr fambase" because he doesn't have a tumblr fanbase any more. I don't mean they have faded back into obscurity, I mean it's dead. You might rustle a few people who care, one person might make a post, and that's it. /r/homestuck might be an easier target than one would think to jest, but it would be harder to let people know the article is directed toward them. While they have a simmilar mindset with tumblr towards the webcomic, they don't have the same culture. They have a fairly standard reddit milquetoast approach to discussion where every opinion is valid but you have to stick to your own thread. If you want to piss them off just say that act five, any segment, wasn't that great and someone will make a thread saying they are "mildly upset". Just creating an article on Homestuck will ravage a majority of TvTropes users, as they already hate the wiki, but also anyone who critisizes what they think is the greatest webcomic of all time, presumably because they thought the webcomic was catering to them.

Believe it or not, the true hard mode, and untapped source of fandom butthurt, is 4chan. Specifically, /hst/ on /co/, who are so jaded when it comes to the webcomic, they sneer at anyone who wants to talk about the webcomic and its flaws and only allow waifuposting and complaining about waifuposting. If someone were to write a review of homestuck just to get someone mad, it would be most impressive if they could infuriate /hst/.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#205 [url]

May 9 17 1:03 PM

Well, to be totally clear on what I meant, I was going to explain how the unique design and direction of the comic were increasingly abandoned due the fan appeasement, and how the fans he was pandering to directly resulted in the complete collapse of the story. To be blunt: they ruined the comic by getting what they wanted.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I had shit come up in March that completely killed my momentum and tax season didn't help either. I'm back on this now.

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Quote    Reply   

z

Casual User

#207 [url]

May 11 17 11:02 AM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
Well, to be totally clear on what I meant, I was going to explain how the unique design and direction of the comic were increasingly abandoned due the fan appeasement, and how the fans he was pandering to directly resulted in the complete collapse of the story. To be blunt: they ruined the comic by getting what they wanted.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I had shit come up in March that completely killed my momentum and tax season didn't help either. I'm back on this now.

That does indeed make a lot more sense, and I agree. Fan appeasement likely ruined Homestuck near the end in the way that he started appealing specifically to Tumblr. No disagreements there. Personally, to me the drop off however only started right after the retcon (which on it's own is the pinnacle of fan appeasement by reviving Vriska). Up to GO it seems he had the plot averagely under control (as much as the Alpha Trolls were a mistake, they at least were characters rather than Tumblr-bait, which the squareds and post-retcon sprites are.) But I stick to my earlier list of things that I recommend you include in the review (with the empahsis on Slick's death still remaining as my biggest sore spot).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

kyrtuck

Heavy User

#208 [url]

May 16 17 11:16 AM

~~Vriska (who after promising to be a better person moments before the retcon goes back to her old ways)

I've seen lots of fans butthurt over that.  The way I understood it, Vriska trying to be a better person, ie, trying to be heroic and face off with Bec Noir, whom she helped to create, is what started the timeline going bad, so getting stopped from that path made her think that she should just go back to being her old nasty self.

I also heard fans butthurt over Vriska being an overly competant, overly liked Mary Sue, even though in her plans, she overestimated Bec noir and Postmistress' importance, and underestimated Spades Slick and the Felt.  And while she was apparently the one who beats Lord English, its treated as a total formality for some reason, and none of the other characters at the end, except Terezi, give any crap about where she is.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#209 [url]

May 17 17 4:49 AM

I'm not back up to that yet, but if memory serves me correctly the real Vriska got put on a bus, being replaced with a different timeline version of herself who was still a murderous, unrepentant bitch in the span of like 2 comics.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#211 [url]

May 17 17 7:33 AM

Oh wait, I'm thinking of the Vriska ghost part of the retcon. The one who got mocked by Hussia via a separate Vriska ghost after John altered things so the original Vriska didn't die. Damn there's so much convoluted shit in this comic.

Quote    Reply   

Jerry

Casual User

#212 [url]

Hi everyone! I'm back, sorry that I didn't continue the talk about the homestuck fiasco. I just wanna say I'm really happy to see that the review is finally being made! I'm also glad that Lt. Art Major made an account because of this thread, he's made some great reviews! That's all I'd like to say. :)

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#214 [url]

Then there's the dramatization of the making of this review, the gripping conclusion next week!*

(*some events may have been dramatized for dramatic effect)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help