Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 3 14 9:54 AM

Tags : :

Why does everyone take Brew so goddamn seriously? Do you see how he's dressed? Do you see how he acts?

image

Seriously does anyone think he was meant to be a real life person? The whole 2007 era of this comic was based off the "refuge in audacity" trope and people treat a character who's meant to be a jerk like he's a real life criminal. He wasn't even meant to be like Rayne Summers or Ethan MacManus because he is frequently demonstrated to be a hyper sensitive idiot.

On the flip side, why do people hate Monique? The lead female character who stands up to Brew's sexist fratboy persona?

She's a fundamentally flawed character with human urges but she's tough, brave and a caring mother. Despite being a feminist, she sees redemption in Brew because she sees him as a human being who can change. She saves him from execution at the end of a long story arc about her daughter being kidnapped and he remembers her risk she made for him and realizes women are human too.

Yes I am a fangirl of this series but people generalize way too much about it. If it was TITS AND VIDYA GAMES for all three years of its production I'd hate it too but it changed. Plus even in the early comics Brew seems like a parody of Mary Sues rather than the real thing.

 
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Mar 3 14 2:48 PM

MakarovJAC wrote:
There is so much wrong with this post that I can't decide wether to laugh; or laugh harder.

What's wrong with it? Defending a good character and an ironically funny character?

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 3 14 6:29 PM

Well, starting up with the "it's fiction, Geez!" argument which pretends to excuse mistakes simply because it isn't real. I did check the comic after your comment, and the guy kept with the sexist jokes after this "revelation". And the fact that Anita's strip is from last September was of very bad taste.

AGE QUOD AGIC

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Mar 3 14 6:54 PM

First of all, the anita strip was by the shittywebcomics tumblr as a twisted prank probably to damage Brew's reputation. The art isen't even similar and I'm a hardcore fan so I would know.

Second, its kinda sad if you're gonna ignore my argument just because I'm not charging a stupid cartoon fratboy with real life crimes. The author even said that "most of this is going on in his [Brew's] head". Refering to all of the retarded shit he does. Also I wasn't saying he wasn't reprehensible but he gets mocked way more than Rayne Summers does and I don't think it is ever intended that Brew's actions are that of an ideal human being.

What about Monique? What did she do that makes her so hated?

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Mar 3 14 9:50 PM

Not necessarily crimes. I knew it would turn to this. Listen, I'm not going to say something like "SM is like consenting on murder, rape, and genocide". However, just like Ma3 Zii, and Las Lindas Mora, for somebody with poor social skills and experience, such acts are totally unnacceptable from a character which is supposed to represent "the norm". Regarding the girl, we get to see a Deus Ex Machina twist where she somehow forgets all he's done, but also she goes after him.

Not everybody likes such flat plot twists, and personalities. It's even less likely they will trivialize them. And it's very unlikely we will just forget all that happened out of sudden.

Regarding the Anita's sketch, thanks for clearing that one up. For a moment we thought that 4Chan post by Brew was real.

AGE QUOD AGIC

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Mar 4 14 12:40 PM

Yeah that bullshit angers me because Brew NEVER made statements like that, he was an ironically funny libertarian, entertaining because he was so politically incorrect to most people.

Brew's character isen't the norm buddy, even the author says that and I quote:

"The other point about Shredded Moose, a point I’m just staggered that some people don’t seem to get, is that by taking the content of the comic so seriously, they seem to think the Brew in the comic is somehow being portrayed as an uber-misogynist ass hole, who’s better then everyone else. Am *I* the only one who thinks that the shit “Brew” does in the comic seems ridiculous, off the wall, unrealistic and – in some cases – really fucking stupid? In “We Love You Too”, how can his response of face-fucking a doll be considered anything serious? From reading the reviews and the comments it’s pretty clear that there are a lot of people taking a *comic* way to god damn seriously. I’m failing to recall anything that “Brew” has done in the comic that could indicate that he has a solid grasp on the way the “real world” works. Most of what he does makes little sense, is goofy, conflicts with functional social etiquette, and in my opinion, wouldn’t work in a real social setting. He’s hip, he’s cool, he’s a badass… and most of that is going on in his own “brain”; the comic “Steamed” is probably the most recent blatant example of this.

Again, I’m not here to change anyone’s mind. People can hate the comic, they can love the comic, and they can create voodoo dolls and subject them to all sorts of unholy and sadistic tortures as they pray to whatever faith they believe in that Shredded Moose be wiped from the face of the Internet. I can only hope that somewhere along the way that *someone* out there realizes that this is a comic, it’s not real, it’s not meant to be real, it’s not meant to reflect reality, and “Brew” isn’t meant to be some “shining example” of how mankind should behave."

I know you'll say that he was just trying to "save face" and defend his "Mary Sue's" behavior but you really don't think Brew's character is not meant to be exaggerated, stupid or "comical" (in the sense that the character was meant to be funny, not saying he actually is)

As for Monique, she never forgot about Brew's crimes, she even tells him the only reason she wants him to help her get her daughter back is because she's terrified of him in a sex offender kind of way. She acknowedges how violatile he is but still helps him regardless. I don't see why that's so bad.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Mar 4 14 9:29 PM

There's a thin line between "hardcore" and "outright insane". Many comics falls in the former hole. Just because a cartoon depicts water droping on a pot all night, it doesn't mean a person which doesn't like it have to "let it go". Go on, tell me that I have no right to express myself and if I don't like it, I shouldn't watch it.

By the way, I don't know if you proof read what you write, but those last lines in you paragraph are batshit insane.

AGE QUOD AGIC

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Riffraff

Regular User

Posts: 140

#8 [url]

Mar 5 14 12:52 AM

I had forgotten about this comic till this guy showed up. It's been dead for how long now? Dose anyone still think about it anymore, and why should anyone care about it?

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Mar 5 14 10:54 AM

Riffraff wrote:
I had forgotten about this comic till this guy showed up. It's been dead for how long now? Dose anyone still think about it anymore, and why should anyone care about it?

Am I not allowed to be a fan? I find it very entertaining and I'm really sad its gone forever.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Mar 5 14 11:01 AM

MakarovJAC wrote:
There's a thin line between "hardcore" and "outright insane". Many comics falls in the former hole. Just because a cartoon depicts water droping on a pot all night, it doesn't mean a person which doesn't like it have to "let it go". Go on, tell me that I have no right to express myself and if I don't like it, I shouldn't watch it.

By the way, I don't know if you proof read what you write, but those last lines in you paragraph are batshit insane.

Express yourself about what? This is a forum for challenging the Badwebcomics wiki review and I believe that SM is heavily outdated and it doesn't have a solid grasp on the big picture. I'm just expressing my opinions, and you're more justified then I am to do the same. I'm not censoring you just because I don't agree with you. I don't get the pot analogy at all.

How is it batshit insane? Monique helps Brew become less of a shithead because she sees the good in him but she still admits he's menacing. That's what I was saying, maybe it came out wrong.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Mar 5 14 3:17 PM

To put it simple. You say there's no problem with having a problem with Brew's personality, just because it's not real. The pot analogy makes reference to the fact that the sound of water droping on a pot is annoying for some people. And if that people sees a depiction of it, they are going to get annoyed by it, despite not being the real thing.

Catena had something like it; yet, the authors managed to fix it in an appropiate manner. They were having an insane (yet digestible) humor comic where grown people (furries actually) where supposed to act in a childish way. Then they suddenly begun developing more elaborated arcs, like slight-of-life and the sorts, and that started to enter in conflict with the original premise of the series (reference jokes, and odd behavior. They fixed it by rebooting the comic into a more dramatic setting, allowing for more complex stories and character development.

What they did in SM was just to bitchslap (no-pun intended) character development in a comic where one character was a straight-woman, and the next one an A-class, A-hole just for humour. Specially when this character starts accepting a character after another one acted in a completely opposite way. And this is pulled out of the authors butt. Suddenly he becomes good, and people accepts him. That only demostrates poor writting skills. And there you have why people hates SM, and Monique.

You know, some people out there actually puts a lot of effort into making their works consistent. When people comes and recklessly does what this guys did in SM, pretty much they feel like dying.When you said "M tags along B, despite him being a dangerous asshat and she doesn't likes him. Then B's personality takes a u turn and acts in a contradicting way to his own self." , people over the net felt like being fooled into accepting something they didn't like anyways.

Want another example of kidnapping done right in comedy? Sequential Art. A roommate is confused by evil people and thus kidnapped. After a short (2-3 strips developing) a character by demostrating how dumb she is (remeber it's comedy), we get to see the evil as a batshit insane computer which plays dolls with corpses (not graphic violence for the sake of decency). In the end, nobody end up loving nobody, nobody's personality got a sudden turn, nothing got be developed any further. Indeed, more annoying characters, rescued from the kidnappers, were added to the cast to the dismay of the original cast. See the irony in there? See how properly handed was the whole subject?

Again, you can be a fan, and we still hate that shitty, poorly-made comic. You asked why people hated on it, and you got your answer. Just don't try to justify it by trying to glorify a one-dimensional character's random, yet unexplained, actions.

AGE QUOD AGIC

Last Edited By: MakarovJAC Mar 5 14 3:25 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Mar 5 14 4:08 PM

MakarovJAC wrote:
To put it simple. You say there's no problem with having a problem with Brew's personality, just because it's not real. The pot analogy makes reference to the fact that the sound of water droping on a pot is annoying for some people. And if that people sees a depiction of it, they are going to get annoyed by it, despite not being the real thing.

Catena had something like it; yet, the authors managed to fix it in an appropiate manner. They were having an insane (yet digestible) humor comic where grown people (furries actually) where supposed to act in a childish way. Then they suddenly begun developing more elaborated arcs, like slight-of-life and the sorts, and that started to enter in conflict with the original premise of the series (reference jokes, and odd behavior. They fixed it by rebooting the comic into a more dramatic setting, allowing for more complex stories and character development.

What they did in SM was just to bitchslap (no-pun intended) character development in a comic where one character was a straight-woman, and the next one an A-class, A-hole just for humour. Specially when this character starts accepting a character after another one acted in a completely opposite way. And this is pulled out of the authors butt. Suddenly he becomes good, and people accepts him. That only demostrates poor writting skills. And there you have why people hates SM, and Monique.

You know, some people out there actually puts a lot of effort into making their works consistent. When people comes and recklessly does what this guys did in SM, pretty much they feel like dying.When you said "M tags along B, despite him being a dangerous asshat and she doesn't likes him. Then B's personality takes a u turn and acts in a contradicting way to his own self." , people over the net felt like being fooled into accepting something they didn't like anyways.

Want another example of kidnapping done right in comedy? Sequential Art. A roommate is confused by evil people and thus kidnapped. After a short (2-3 strips developing) a character by demostrating how dumb she is (remeber it's comedy), we get to see the evil as a batshit insane computer which plays dolls with corpses (not graphic violence for the sake of decency). In the end, nobody end up loving nobody, nobody's personality got a sudden turn, nothing got be developed any further. Indeed, more annoying characters, rescued from the kidnappers, were added to the cast to the dismay of the original cast. See the irony in there? See how properly handed was the whole subject?

Again, you can be a fan, and we still hate that shitty, poorly-made comic. You asked why people hated on it, and you got your answer. Just don't try to justify it by trying to glorify a one-dimensional character's random, yet unexplained, actions.

Unexpected actions? Do you mean Brew's redemption? Monique risked her life to save his so he had a change of heart. Is that really unplausible. Also the writers weren't just shoehorning in backstories so you'd care about the characters. They were explaining why Brew was an asshole and why Monique was so angered by his misogynistic behavior.

As for Monique tagging along with him. She actually blackmailed him into helping her save her daughter as revenge he did all that shit to random girls. Both of them were fighting the whole time until its revealed she does care about him enough to save his life. When he sees how much she loves her daughter and cares about him, thats when he vows to change himself.

Is that incoherent somehow?

 

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Mar 5 14 7:06 PM

MakarovJAC wrote:
Keep writting. I want to keep reading.

Its obvious this place is a troll wiki, you just want to keep a misguided man's name in perpetual infamy. Its not about respect or growth as a writer. Shredded Moose was the greatest thing on the internet and you people pissed it away for Shortpacked, Sinfest and Questionable Content. Both suck a hundred times worse than SM ever will. I could never write something as over-the-top as that but I'm going to avenge him nonetheless.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Mar 6 14 12:50 PM

MakarovJAC wrote:
Go on.

Why bother, do you even consider what I read or is it just Shredded Moose is forever the worst comic on the internet? Is it worthy ANY updates on the article because it doesn't even take Monique's character into account save a comic about Brew sleeping with her. It also believes Brew, Trip, Monique, Lisa, Nicole and Muff are all complete irredeemable stereotypes. Not true at all. Maybe Brew is a stereotype for most of the comic and Muff does something truly horrible very early in the comic but aside from that all the others seem to be nice, modest characters who don't conform to a SPECIFIC stereotype. Maybe you'll call them "spliced tropes" or some bullcrap like that but none of them save Brew are truly obnoxious.

But like I said, why bother arguing about this. You guys will never consider anything I say even though I give careful thought to what I say about your thoughts. But don't put this down as an agitated response on the wiki because I'm not angry about this, all of your responses I've already heard before from others.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Mar 7 14 11:12 AM

TL;DR: Another angry fan came to try to convince us of how is his favourite comic the BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST!!!1!, and how wrong we are for existing. Bonus points for using the worst sentences in history of disputation.

AGE QUOD AGIC

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help