Remove this ad

Riffraff

Regular User

#41 [url]

Aug 28 14 10:54 AM

There are a good number of situations that can cause PTSD in a person other then heavy combat. Getting mean emails and mean twitters is not one of them. I really want to know what is wrong with this guy. He has no spine.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Aug 28 14 1:19 PM

I just hate comparing somebody who receives a scathinly snide message online to a guy who has to concern himself with IEDs everywhere he steps.  It's ridiculous that somebody suffering Tumblr backlash is able to to call his problems "PTSD" as if they're going through the same thing as a soldier in a warzone.

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Sep 23 14 1:14 PM

I'm still confused as to whether or not we'll ever see the end of his web-comic.

He entitled his post as "I Quit" yet, he continues on through his first paragraph saying that he actually isn't quitting?

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Sep 23 14 2:04 PM

Red Potassium wrote:
I'm still confused as to whether or not we'll ever see the end of his web-comic.

He entitled his post as "I Quit" yet, he continues on through his first paragraph saying that he actually isn't quitting?

Uh...an "attention whore"?

AGE QUOD AGIC

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#46 [url]

Sep 23 14 2:42 PM

The title was an eye-grabber. He never actually quit, he just took 40 paragraphs to say, "I'm going to relax my delivery schedule, because I'm an emotional basket-case. I based too much of my self-esteem on positive attention for my work, so when I couldn't put stuff out fast enough I got terrible attention withdrawal and responded to it in an unhealthy way. Also, give me sympathy, because it is delicious."

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Sep 24 14 2:51 AM

I never dontated a dime to his webcomic, but I do know his readers bascially paid for his house.  Now that he's sitting on ass taking as long as he damn well pleases with his webcomic, I wonder how his fans feel?

I mean, they're probably still dribbling over it, don't get me wrong, I won't deem cow-towing as being far-flung from his audience.  But the fact still remains, the return on viewer investment is ridiculously low since his whole ptsdgasm episode over the last few months and unless his viewers enjoy long chaotic essays to hold them over, well...I'm just saying I'd feel quite cheated if I'd been one of the people who helped pay for his house.

But, then again, this is why I don't make donations to people who put out free material on the internet.  I expect to get what I pay for.  If what I'm "paying" for (donating to) is free, then it must not be worth much.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#48 [url]

Sep 24 14 4:56 AM

Hey, let's be fair. When he asked people to pay for his house he promised them an epic Tempts Fate that he quarter-assed. He took seven months off to be crazy after that.

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Sep 24 14 6:36 AM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
Hey, let's be fair. When he asked people to pay for his house he promised them an epic Tempts Fate that he quarter-assed. He took seven months off to be crazy after that.

To be fair, I wish I could take seven months off to be crazy.  Actually, just the seven months would be fine, I'd leave the crazy.

Quote    Reply   

oddguy

Living Spambot

#50 [url]

Oct 5 14 10:08 AM

Anyone notice that this thread has had 17,000 pageviews? I think everyone on his forum is watching this thing like a hawk.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#52 [url]

Oct 5 14 5:59 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:

oddguy wrote:
Anyone notice that this thread has had 17,000 pageviews? I think everyone on his forum is watching this thing like a hawk.

Damn. I hadn't noticed. Well if that's the case, someone should tell Thunt the whole "having a bunch of voice clips" next-episode teaser doesn't work well in a non-auditory medium.

Funny thing was that I knew exactly what he was doing with it but my attention span wasn't long enough to give a shit about who was saying what, why they were saying it, and what context it fell under.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#53 [url]

Oct 5 14 8:53 PM

Red Potassium wrote:
SmashLampjaw wrote:

oddguy wrote:

Damn. I hadn't noticed. Well if that's the case, someone should tell Thunt the whole "having a bunch of voice clips" next-episode teaser doesn't work well in a non-auditory medium.

Funny thing was that I knew exactly what he was doing with it but my attention span wasn't long enough to give a shit about who was saying what, why they were saying it, and what context it fell under.
Exactly. That shit works in something like a 10 second TV clip because you can hear the emotion and recognize the voices; a lot of the work is done by your subconscious. The clips can overlap or be delivered at a frantic pace to really suck the listener in.

Reading it...? Well... it's not so effective... and it's definitely not pulling emotion until after you've already finished reading it and had to process it consciously.

Quote    Reply   

Kraken

Forum Leech

#54 [url]

Oct 7 14 7:51 AM

Well hell. If they're watching, I might as well give 'em something to chew on.

I write from the perspective of someone who is strangely fascinated by Goblins in spite of its many well-documented flaws. Here's a bit from Hunt's blog (I'm not using his asinine nickname)... something about "eight questions you were too polite to ask." The first four are about his nervous breakdown thing.

1) "Did you see a professional?” – Yes. I got myself a psychiatrist that I see regularly. He’s awesome and has helped quite a bit.
2) “Are you diagnosed with anything?” – Yes, I was diagnosed. I’m going to keep that diagnosis to myself, though.
3) “Are you on any medication?” – Yup, I’m on an anti-depressant. This is the third medication tried out on me, and this seems to be the one that’s got me able to, you know… live.
4)“Well, are you going to be acting all crazy now?” – No more than usual. None of my symptoms are psychotic, meaning that I’m in no way confused about reality. No hallucinations or bouts of paranoia, etc. What I’m dealing with is anxiety based. Here’s a beautifully portrayed example of what I commonly deal with. It’s a scene from Iron Man 3. Somehow, seeing Tony Stark going through what I go through, makes it a bit less embarrassing.

So all this is about his mental health issues which... yeah, well, sorry to hear about that. I never did quite understand the alleged reason for his breakdown... in his "I Quit" blog post was that he went crazy because he was acting like his fans were his "boss." So in what was supposed to be a life-changing revelation for him, he decided that a collection of random people on the internet weren't his boss. That seems fundamentally obvious stuff. Well done, I guess?

How about we stop talking about Hunt's mental issues and get into the questions about the comic itself...

5) “Is this going to affect the comic? Is Goblins going to be different, now?” – Yes and no. The entire story for Goblins was written years ago, so that’s not going to change.

Wait, what? Let's go over that first part again. "The entire story for Goblins was written years ago, so that's not going to change."

What is that supposed to mean?

It does not mean he scripted out every piece of overwrought dialogue and has it all written down on note paper somewhere, nor that each page has been storyboarded out far in advance. Nobody does that. So he could learn a thing or two about writing and at the very least tighten up his prose and pacing, even if he refuses to change the plot.

What he's saying with the "already written" statement is that he has an outline. Congratulations. Lots of writers work from an outline. But as any decent writer will tell you, outlines aren't perfect. Hell, any first draft a writer produces probably sucks. It's nothing to be ashamed of... pretty much all great writers generate shitty first drafts.

But Hunt is saying he's a slave to his outline. "The entire story was written years ago..." as if it came down off a mountain on stone tablets. What he's saying is that he cannot possibly have a better idea now than he had years ago when he made the original outline. It means he refuses to revise or review his storyline, because everything that dribbled out of his brain back in those whirlwind days of creating the precious outline is somehow golden and immaculate. It means he refuses to improve his writing.

Which makes him a pretentious little amateur.

Let's take the second part of that answer...

5) [continued] "But in the last seven months, I’ve been drawing things that are very different than Goblins and I’ve learned quite a bit about new techniques, etc. This is bound to create a bit of a leap in artistic quality. Aside from that, Goblins is still going to be Goblins."

Subtext: "My writing is perfect and wonderful, but maybe I could improve my art."

Well, I would submit that his writing could use a lot of work too, but there's no argument that a leap in artistic quality would be much warranted. So let's look at the first page of this bold new era.

Hmm...

We have a new logo that looks like someone sprayed purple snot all over it, rendering it barely legible. And it has more Photoshop effects. Not an improvement.

Looking at the comic, I see that multicolored snot effects are part of the new Hunt artistic revolution. Blood looks like red snot, the bridge looks like grey snot, Forgath-dwarf's beard looks like light brown snot or translucent strings of snot, and Kore-dwarf's beard looks like ropes of dark-colored snot. All this snot is drawn with a lot of attention to detail, but in such a way that reduces clarity.

We have a variety of confusingly-done motion effects. Very hard to tell what's going on, which has always been a trademark of Hunt's art. No improvement there... in fact, some steps back as he tries to use a lot of motion lines and clumsy translucency effects to compensate for weak composition.

Oh look, floating panels. How sophisticated. This is a layout gimmick that adds nothing--in fact, it eats away at a page's usable real estate. Several of these action panels are made smaller than they would be in a conventional layout so they can float over the background panel, giving him less space to draw a clear picture of what's going on.

This is the leap in artistic quality? For Christ's sake, if he wants to revolutionize his art, Hunt should spend some time with Will Eisner's Comics and Sequential Art. Practice composition and layout. Increase clarity. Added complexity is not always an improvement. In fact, simplicity works better most of the time. All he's done with this "leap" is add a lot of time-consuming new snot-rendering techniques that don't actually enhance anything. And the last thing he needs is to slow down his pace.

6) “What of the comic’s update schedule?” – I honestly don’t know. Although I’m still dealing with those “Tony Stark” issues, they are getting less frequent and I’m certain this is all totally temporary and there will come a time when all of this stuff is a distant memory.

Obviously he didn't create any kind of buffer for himself, because he's had one update and going on three weeks of dicking around with his unnecessary, self-indulgent artistic tricks while crafting the next (assuredly snot-intensive) page.

Oh and this thing about "Tony Stark" issues? Sounds like he's enshrining his mental problems as some kind of noble virtue here. I try to be understanding of people's health challenges, and mental health matters have all sorts of unhelpful stigmas attached to them... but Hunt so often comes across as a drama queen that it's hard to maintain sympathy sometimes.

7) “Isn’t Goblins your job? How have you lived this long without an income?” – I wield the sword of debt, brandish the shield of IOUs and don the armour of ‘Please Don’t Cut Off My Power’

But God forbid Hunt does anything to make himself better at his job. He spent a lot of time making a new website (which is awful and no improvement), a new logo (which is awful and no improvement), and a new artistic style (which is overly-complicated, ugly, addresses none of his real artistic weaknesses, and is more time-consuming). Well done.

8) “Do you have less readers after the hiatus?” – I’m certain that I have lost some amount of readers after seven months of silence. I’m not sure what that amount is yet, but I suppose we’ll see, after a few updates happen and some of those readers that (understandably) wandered off, decide to come back. But it’d be crazy to take this much time off and not expect there to be some damage to the size of my reader-base. We’ll see what the future holds.

That would be "fewer readers." Ahem.

Hunt has probably lost a lot of readers, but he does have a pretty sizable fan base. He's also have decided to indulge his worst artistic impulses, listen to his enablers ("You don't need to behave like a professional and stick to an update schedule! Take your sweet time, fragile genius!"), and give himself a free pass to update at whatever sluggish pace he can maintain between bouts of feeling heroically sorry for himself. At this rate, he may well dip past the critical threshold of readership that allows him to maintain this as a full-time job. Stay tuned for the probable Tempts Fate "please bail me out of debt" fundraiser.

But hey, look! On that latest page, Forgath is openly weeping during his battle scene. Hunt can still bring the SAD, baby! So it's all good.

Last Edited By: Kraken Oct 7 14 10:51 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#55 [url]

Oct 7 14 10:13 AM

Kraken wrote:
Well, I would submit that his writing could use a lot of work too, but there's no argument that a leap in artistic quality would be much warranted. So let's look at the first page of this bold new era.

Hmm...

We have a new logo that looks like someone sprayed purple snot all over it, rendering it barely legible. And it has more Photoshop effects. Not an improvement.
You know what's most confusing about that logo? Hunt's repeatedly established goblins have red blood (and so do other monsters). In fact, the only thing I could find with blueish blood was this monster that looks like it was partially recycled into this monster that turns your fluids blue when it rots you. Both monsters are dead, and the goblins never encountered either, so... well... what's that purple-blue snot supposed to be?

Kraken wrote:
Looking at the comic, I see that multicolored snot effects are part of the new Hunt artistic revolution. Blood looks like red snot, the bridge looks like grey snot, Forgath-dwarf's beard looks like light brown snot or translucent strings of snot, and Kore-dwarf's beard looks like ropes of dark-colored snot. All this snot is drawn with a lot of attention to detail, but in such a way that reduces clarity.
It's also worth pointing out there's 7 months of "learning" between this and this, and the only difference is the latter comic has slightly more detail than the third panel in the former. Not more realistic detail, just more detail.

Kraken wrote:
But God forbid Hunt does anything to make himself better at his job. He spent a lot of time making a new website (which is awful and no improvement), a new logo (which is awful and no improvement), and a new artistic style (which is overly-complicated, ugly, addresses none of his real artistic weaknesses, and is more time-consuming). Well done.
I do not understand the new webpage at all. Just what in the fuck is going on with it? I checked it in three browsers and it looks just as bad in all of them. It's also larger than I usual size my windowed browser. I don't typically maximize my browser because most sites don't typically have enough content to fill it anyways.

With that said, though, the whole thing has a set width so the alignment/whitespace issues can't be blamed on browser size. For the sake of laying out how sloppy it is, I will divide the webpage into four sections vertically:
1) The Banner: Left-aligned, with whitespace on the right. Reason unknown. This is the smallest section, and the arrangement of banners seems somewhat slapdash.
2) The Comic: Center-right aligned; there's 50px of extra whitespace in the left margin. Reason unknown. The bottom-left of this section has a glowing symbol that, to the best of my memory, has never appeared prominently (or at all) in the comic. Then there's the bottom nav, which doesn't align centered in relation to... let's see... anything else on the page, including the comic image.
3) The Egocenter: Tarol Hunt talking about himself in blog posts and Twitter. It has a left margin of about 105px and a right margin of about 280px. Reason unknown. What in all of the fuck was he thinking? It makes every part of the experience of looking at the webpage feel like you're visually following an avalanche. Everything just kind of falls randomly and it gets more extreme as you go.
4) The Whitehole: Roughly 2/5 of the page is nothing but whitespace. Reason unknown. Seriously. Two-fifths, 40%, or just under half of the page, however you want to phrase that, is literally nothing. It's not a thing. It doesn't even show off the new detailed whitespace filler, because that's non-repeating and ends long before this begins. Instead you get to see a repeating pattern of stone bricks and grass, with an empty blog section in the middle.

Last Edited By: SmashLampjaw Oct 7 14 10:18 AM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#57 [url]

Oct 7 14 2:26 PM

I added a fullsize browser capture of his comic to the Art Review. It was tricky to find a place to fit it because the damned thing is so tall, but I think it serves as a great example of everything being described. The archive comic I picked was from when he advanced to doing excessive shading, but he only bothered doing the first three panels.

Last Edited By: SmashLampjaw Oct 7 14 2:31 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Oct 7 14 6:01 PM

Anyone else thinks it's ironic that he compares his situation to that of some fantasy millionaire playboy from a comicbook?

That's gotta be the most insulting thing ever to the people who donated to him and helped pay for his fucking house.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#59 [url]

Oct 7 14 7:04 PM

Red Potassium wrote:
Anyone else thinks it's ironic that he compares his situation to that of some fantasy millionaire playboy from a comicbook?

That's gotta be the most insulting thing ever to the people who donated to him and helped pay for his fucking house.
Oh, that's not the only gem of a comparison. He claimed to have PTSD from stress over his own standards for his own comic. He even invented a fictional scenario where he thanked a soldier for not punching him for saying that.

Quote    Reply   

Sindy

Living Spambot

#60 [url]

Oct 9 14 10:42 AM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
Oh, that's not the only gem of a comparison. He claimed to have PTSD from stress over his own standards for his own comic. He even invented a fictional scenario where he thanked a soldier for not punching him for saying that.

I'm gonna take a moment and laugh about that PTSD from stress over his own standards.
There are people out there who do comics like this. Shit, I've been planning a comic for 5 years and I keep postponing it because I feel my art is not good enough yet.
And a guy like this gets fucking PTSD from... what standards, exactly? It apparently was just mentioned he can't be arsed to update his story with better writing or change anything in it as he might be getting better or more polished ideas. He apparently keeps adding irrelevant detail to his stylization which has been the same since this comic begun, the extra shading/details/whatever do nothing and don't fit on a non-realistic or non-semirealistic art.

I guess being a pretentious fuckwit on the internet is a truly lucrative business with so many people calling PSTD from twitter comments, dreams, being called fat, or 'having high standards' for something they visibly don't fucking work on to achieve those high standards.
Where do I sign up for free money for complaining about nonissues?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help