Remove this ad

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#3101 [url]

Kraken wrote:
Fumbles as bad-ass. What. The. Fuck.
It might -MIGHT- have been plausible if he'd suddenly realized his mustache was retarded and had thrown it away before doing that thing with his hood. At least then we could have assumed some past teller was supplementing his projection of Hunt's cutesy behavior personality with an adult's.

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Kraken

Forum Leech

#3102 [url]

SmashLampjaw wrote:

Kraken wrote:
Fumbles as bad-ass. What. The. Fuck.

It might -MIGHT- have been plausible if he'd suddenly realized his mustache was retarded and had thrown it away before doing that thing with his hood. At least then we could have assumed some past teller was supplementing his projection of Hunt's cutesy behavior personality with an adult's.

I thought we were finally done with the moustache in an earlier strip, but nope, it came back.

Also... I don't suppose anyone knows why the hem of Fumbles' cloak is on fire. And not burning him. I actually did take the trouble to look back at the stupid item dump page, and the only cloak mentioned was the one they've already wrapped around the broken Axe of Prissan. So... yeah. I don't know what that's about. Maybe the ceremony is somehow actually happening or something? Hunt seems to be saying the imprints are not absorbed yet, so I can only read this as meaning everything we are seeing is an unmodified Fumbles in action, suddenly becoming an ass-kicker for no reason. With a burning cloak.

The only thing I can give Hunt some degree of credit for here is he did not pull another "I'm late, so I'm going to wait until next Monday to update" cop-out. Delivering a partial page is at least an attempt to stay on track so... clap, clap.

Quote    Reply   

Morgaln

Heavy User

#3103 [url]

Apparently, the cloak is on one of the cards for the "upcoming" card game:

Which is seriously stupid. People shouldn't be required to keep tabs on a non-existent game to understand what's going on in the story. But clearly, Hunt needed a cloak to make Fumbles look like a superhero, complete with exaggerated manly chest and a cape fluttering behind him, and the "be in constant pain" cloak didn't cut it, so he just added that one into the story at an arbitrary moment.

Quote    Reply   

Kraken

Forum Leech

#3104 [url]

Morgaln wrote:

Which is seriously stupid. People shouldn't be required to keep tabs on a non-existent game to understand what's going on in the story. But clearly, Hunt needed a cloak to make Fumbles look like a superhero, complete with exaggerated manly chest and a cape fluttering behind him, and the "be in constant pain" cloak didn't cut it, so he just added that one into the story at an arbitrary moment.

Wow. This page just gets dumber. It's amazing.

Incidentally, are there any fans of the "Darth Jar Jar" theory out there? I'm not one. I think any theory which calls upon a ham-fisted storyteller like Lucas to have been setting up something deviously subtle is a fundamentally flawed theory. But even for the sake of argument, say there's something to it.

This page shows you why it would never have worked.

This is what it looks like when the bumbling, idiotic, comic-relief character suddenly reveals hitherto undemonstrated badass skills. Fumbles is the Jar Jar of Goblins. Now he's suddenly morphed into a Jedi with burning shins, and it is ludicrious to behold.

Quote    Reply   

Morgaln

Heavy User

#3106 [url]

Also note that this cloak is now the fourth item we have seen that must have come from the wall of loot, survived the explosion, but was never seen or mentioned before the explosion. While out of the eleven items we have seen and got identified before, only two seem to have survived. Which means we had forced exposition on stuff we'll never see again and will now need additional exposition on things that we could have seen in that context already. Storytelling-wise, that is incredibly wasteful, especially considering the glacial pace Goblins is already running at.
Of course that means Hunt can pull additional powers for these items out of his ass whenever he needs them, because he hasn't spoiled what they do yet. I'm pretty sure that's the whole point. I'm also sure people will applaud him on his "surprise twists" whenever one of these items suddenly exhibits new powers that just so happen to help the group.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#3107 [url]

Kraken wrote:
Incidentally, are there any fans of the "Darth Jar Jar" theory out there? I'm not one. I think any theory which calls upon a ham-fisted storyteller like Lucas to have been setting up something deviously subtle is a fundamentally flawed theory. But even for the sake of argument, say there's something to it.

This is what it looks like when the bumbling, idiotic, comic-relief character suddenly reveals hitherto undemonstrated badass skills. Fumbles is the Jar Jar of Goblins.
Exactly. It's too much of a stretch.
Kraken wrote:
Now he's suddenly morphed into a Jedi with burning shins, and it is ludicrious to behold.
It's so ridiculous that at I'm actually forced to give Hunt the benefit of the doubt. It's possible this is another one of those really confusing scenes where we're actually seeing what Fumbles is imagining rather than what he's doing. Just going by consistency, Minmax should have won initiative, and going by positioning they should have already been attacked by Minmax and Complains.

Quote    Reply   

BoredDuck

Regular User

#3108 [url]

SmashLampjaw wrote:

Kraken wrote:

This is what it looks like when the bumbling, idiotic, comic-relief character suddenly reveals hitherto undemonstrated badass skills. Fumbles is the Jar Jar of Goblins.

Exactly. It's too much of a stretch.
Kraken wrote:
Now he's suddenly morphed into a Jedi with burning shins, and it is ludicrious to behold.

It's so ridiculous that at I'm actually forced to give Hunt the benefit of the doubt. It's possible this is another one of those really confusing scenes where we're actually seeing what Fumbles is imagining rather than what he's doing. Just going by consistency, Minmax should have won initiative, and going by positioning they should have already been attacked by Minmax and Complains.

Just remember that this is only a D&D related comic when it suits Hunt.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#3109 [url]

Granted, BoredDuck, but I mean they entered the room by pushing past Minmax and Complains. How in the hell weren't they getting attacked already?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#3110 [url]

I am really enjoying that you can see the ends of his stupid fucking mustache poking out from his BADASS HOODED CLOAK.

This whole scene reads so much like a middle-schooler's self-insert amateur manga. "DON'T MESS WITH MY FRIENDS!!!!" [unlocks ultimate powers, becomes surrounded by flame]

Last Edited By: BlueAmaranth . Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

BoredDuck

Regular User

#3111 [url]

SmashLampjaw wrote:
Granted, BoredDuck, but I mean they entered the room by pushing past Minmax and Complains. How in the hell weren't they getting attacked already?

Not disagreeing with you. In fact I am with you on that. I have no idea. I was just being sarcastic. If this is a D&D game, those Demons wouldn't have made it past Minmax and Names. He may however pull some bullshit "surprise attck" if challenged personally, however that doesn't hold up in my eyes and Names clearly saw them before they sprung.

Quote    Reply   

Morgaln

Heavy User

#3112 [url]

So, the page has been up for five days and we haven't had a colored version yet. I seriously doubt a professional like Cheyenne Wright would take this long to do the coloring, So why is there no colored version?

- Hunt is too lazy to upload the page?
- Hunt intends the colored version to take tomorrow's update spot, so he has another week to work on the next "insanely detailed" page?
- The business relation between Hunt and Wright is already falling apart?
- All of the above?

Quote    Reply   

BoredDuck

Regular User

#3113 [url]

Morgaln wrote:
So, the page has been up for five days and we haven't had a colored version yet. I seriously doubt a professional like Cheyenne Wright would take this long to do the coloring, So why is there no colored version?

This wouldn't surprise me. The last guy only lasted a few pages.

Quote    Reply   

#3114 [url]

Morgaln wrote:

- Hunt intends the colored version to take tomorrow's update spot, so he has another week to work on the next "insanely detailed" page?
- All of the above?

Perhaps none of the above—he's been busy making fully colored and shaded Overwatch art.

Quote    Reply   

Kraken

Forum Leech

#3115 [url]

Morgaln wrote:

- All of the above?

I've been wondering that myself. Wright's working speed is well-established as being quite fast. If Wright is somehow out of commission or unable to work, this would be an easy thing for Hunt to announce on his Twittter. If Wright has delivered the page and Hunt hasn't posted it, that's... not real professional, I would say.

Hunt has been unusually silent (for him) on Twitter the last few days.

Quote    Reply   

Swiftbow

Casual User

#3117 [url]

Morgaln wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-yfnOxUMAEQMdZ.jpg

I was going back to see which items have actually been identified. Fumbles staff still hasn't, probably for the previously cited reason of Thunt being able to make up anything he wants for it. Anyway, I THINK the reason the cloak is on fire is because Fumbles used (though it certainly doesn't appear that way from the artwork), the potion from this update: http://www.goblinscomic.org/04032017-2/

Again, though, we don't see him actually using it, so it may just be that dumb game card. If it is that potion, look for Fumbles to suddenly be flying around like a cartoon character the next installment.

UPDATE: He updated... sorta. The last episode also got a color job (blue flames on the cloak), but now his archives are broken. You can't go back past the last update. Also, the Archives themselves have no active links for the latest chapter after number 22. The workings of his website confound me.

Last Edited By: Swiftbow . Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help