Remove this ad

Lead

Sep 26 13 2:58 PM

Tags : :

Original thread by MisterFlamesThis is my first post here, good day to you, gentles.

I've been reading Too Much Information for about five years now, and up until recently, I've been enjoying it. The composition could use some work, since everyone looks rather stiff, but I enjoyed the combination of slice-of-life with a bit of the supernatural.

There's always been a certain amount of fan service, although I would say it's been artistic rather than exploitative, at least in the beginning. But recently things have gotten… worse. I would say it started around the time of the fire, back in 2010, and since then it's been a bit of a hash. There's been yakuza with horrible tattoos, unsettling fan service, and the most recent chapter adding in some half-baked science fiction with a Star Trek TOS bridge and a Stargate under Cheyenne Mountain.

But now we've been getting flashbacks from the main character about how he was abducted by the little green girls and willingly had his memory suppressed, and my belief could be suspended no more. To me the fan service falls deep in the Uncanny Valley, and then there's the morality of abducting people and getting genetic samples and "suppressing" the memory of the event. Now to me, that sounds as morally skeezy as using roofies to impregnate someone, then hop out to another state where they can't be tracked down.

So tell me, Gentles… "Is this comic bad?"

Edit: Interesting… my comments seem to have disappeared, the ones that were critical of things. I went out of my way not to insult the author, but mentioned a different interpretation of his characters. It appears that he did not care for me suggesting his little green aliens weren't anything but sweetness and light. This does not speak well of the author.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

juju98

Casual User

#2 [url]

Sep 30 13 2:44 AM

I didn't read this comic, because the art is just painful to look at. -.-

3D comics are a major turn-off for me, unless done right.

(Datachasers is an example of a good 3D comic, btw)

Last Edited By: juju98 Sep 30 13 2:58 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 3 14 12:48 AM

It's a damn shame what's happened to TMI. It was actually really good back in the day, despite the Uncanny Valley poser artwork. The characterization was sensitive, the plot was thoughtful and sometimes touching, and the whole thing felt human. There was some charming humor, too--remember the zombie bonus comics? Since all the gross fanservice and icky contrived harem setup, though, it's been straight downhill. I think Ace has slept with every woman in the series by now, and for a character who delayed becoming sexually active because he wanted to wait for the right person, that's especially jarring. It feels like it's being made by a cheeto-stained basement-dwelling otaku, and I know this author can do better.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Mar 27 14 6:34 PM

It's not just the content, the delivery makes me weep. I dropped it 2 or 3 years ago, went to catch up in the middle of last year, and ranted about it at the bottom of a thread on the old forum. I'll have a go at this one tomorrow if I feel up to it.

Edit: Oh, what a matter of taste! Datachasers looks 100 times creepier to me than TMI! lol~ I'm not saying TMI is any good, but I really didn't need to see Datachasers just before bed.

Last Edited By: eekee Mar 27 14 6:44 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

BigBurkhart

Regular User

#6 [url]

Oct 13 16 11:55 AM

Frankly, I'm surprised that this one didn't already have a review. I stopped reading it back around 2012, and that was because the writing really started to go downhill. By downhill, I mean driving off a cliff like Thelma & Louise. It's like the person writing this thing just got bored with it and wanted to write a sci-fi story, then a supernatural story, but didn't want to start over. I definitely hope someone rips this one apart.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#7 [url]

Jun 13 17 8:47 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
This is in the top 10 on TWC. Anyone think it merits a review?

As per the authorisation for MakarovJAC who is still technically a mod here and whose absence Smash continues to have nothing to do with as he's not plotting to take over, as self-appointed ambassador to the CGI Nation, I hearby state that I wish to claim this one.

"If anyone feels like making a review, you have full permission to make one. We still have here a review template you can follow, rememeber to add at least one picture, then link whatever pagfe or information you feel is important for the review. To find the review template, got to the text box in the left bar, right above the create page button. First type the webcomic name correctly, then click on "Create Page". Everything should be easy from that point onwards."

http://badwebcomics.wikidot.com/forum/t-663508/too-much-information

To paraphrase that tip-off I got from an interested party "This is the one that makes people think of CGI comics and it's making us all look bad."

It's fascinating what you can learn about the mechanics of CGI graphics, apparently you can tell which generation of software was used from just looking at the armpits.

Also, I've been digging through all the old threads and other sources and everything is already there, it mostly just needs to be assembled in the one place. On the subject of assembly ...

... I tend to be not bad at the technical writeups of stuff but my real failing is writing about the writing. So, anyone want to work in tandem? We could even put together the Oh Joy Sex Toy team (or at least part of it) for this one if that's what you want/is allowed. 

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jun 13 17 11:59 PM

damn that comic looks ugly

I don't like 3D comics like that at all - it looks way too stilted, with so much uncanny valley, plus the limited character movements. Its so... dolls in a playhouse.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#9 [url]

Jun 14 17 12:03 AM

My contacts say that the latest software is Gen 7. This is apparently using Gen 2 software from 1999. Even if it turns out that it's now Gen 3, I was told by my contact that they were skipping talking about it as almost no-one uses that anymore either.

You should also read the FAQs. First ever webcomic that's going to need its FAQ section reviewed on top of everything else.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jun 14 17 12:11 AM

so... the joker making it is using an old pirated copy probably?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

#11 [url]

Jun 14 17 12:22 AM

webkilla wrote:
so... the joker making it is using an old pirated copy probably?

Honestly, who knows? Between the lack of art evolution (believe it or not, there really is a skill to using this stuff plus you know, not every upgrade's a scam to sell you more stuff), the hostility to criticism (as opposed to you know, just ignoring it), and general antagonism permeating the whole thing (believe me, there's some spectacular passive-aggressive and aggressive-aggressive while we're at it in the FAQ), I think there's all the ingredients of something right up the alley of this place. I almost forgot, there's also a premature reaction that totally misunderstands the whole raison d'etre of this place.

http://badwebcomicswiki.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Premature_Reactions#Too_Much_Information

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#13 [url]

Jun 14 17 12:39 AM

webkilla wrote:
ok... damn

that is some grade A salt

Its like Movieblob and his game-overthinker video series. Such incredibly bad effects and writing, and a stubborn refusal to improve

Well, I dropped a line to the Major as well. Shall we make the Oh Joy Sex Toy Team ride again (permission permitting)?

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#15 [url]

Jun 14 17 1:31 AM

webkilla wrote:
Cry wiki and let lose the chans of war?

We just have to wait for a passing mod and then we can put the band back together.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jun 14 17 3:11 AM

Shan wrote:

webkilla wrote:
Cry wiki and let lose the chans of war?

We just have to wait for a passing mod and then we can put the band back together.

There's 9001 memes to 4chan, we've got a full tank of salt, half a pack of pepes, it's dank out, and we're wearing guy-fawkes masks.

Hit it

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#19 [url]

Jun 14 17 4:29 AM

Nomstuff wrote:
I want in this time! I was offsite last time

I want to do all the technical stuff, I practically have it all already. I think it would be best if someone else does the part on the writing, for starters. Once we have a reconfirmed go-ahead from the Mod Squad, I guess we can assemble this jigsaw (seriously, all the parts we needed are practically fully formed in the wild).

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#20 [url]

Jun 14 17 10:54 PM

Shan wrote:
Well, I dropped a line to the Major as well. Shall we make the Oh Joy Sex Toy Team ride again (permission permitting)?
Aren't you already working on another review and possibly reworking your thing from Oh Joy Sex Toy? Multitasking reviews is a terrible idea. Also the Major just volunteered for Everyday Feminism.

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help