Remove this ad

Bertbutt

Heavy User

Lead

Feb 9 15 3:06 AM

Tags : :

Paranatural is a genuinely funny comic with interesting lore and great pacing. It's not perfect, the lack of explenation in places can get frustrating, but you still get the impression that it leads to a richer world and will(at some point) be explained. Some sub-plots(particularly the one with Max's Mom) sparks some serious intrigue, but seems to have been shifted to the back seat for now. These aren't major issues, as the comedy breaks up any drama before things get too heavy. It's also one of the few comics I've seen that makes puns funny through great timing. I give the comic a hearty recomendation
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#1 [url]

Feb 9 15 1:32 PM

I second this. I'm fairly certain the creator was either influenced by Jhonen Vasquez directly or through another creator influenced by him. The comedy style, level of realism, and art sometimes reminds me of Squee!, but not in a way that I'd even call Paranatural derivative from it.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#3 [url]

Apr 12 16 8:25 PM

EssTiiEphYu wrote:
It got better when the creator removed that damn Disqus section.
Ain't that the truth? I recommend not bothering with a comments section or a forum be added to a media website pretty much whenever the subject comes up.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 16 16 6:43 PM

It's pretty funny actually for a well based comic, I remember reading it for a while back and it showed promise. Good to know its still showing said promise to this day.

Quote    Reply   

EssTiiEphYu

Regular User

#6 [url]

May 10 16 1:48 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:

EssTiiEphYu wrote:
It got better when the creator removed that damn Disqus section.

Ain't that the truth? I recommend not bothering with a comments section or a forum be added to a media website pretty much whenever the subject comes up.

Agreed.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#7 [url]

Dec 17 16 10:21 PM

As much as I initially liked this comic, the author's seeming inexhaustible desire to use Max as a mouthpiece to gripe about narratives and plot twists he hates is really grating on me. It's like someone saw him yelling at a movie and said, "Dude, just go make a comic where your protagonist does what you're doing ALL THE TIME."

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Quote    Reply   

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

#9 [url]

Dec 18 16 3:25 PM

Yeah, Ive started to wane towards Paranatural when Dr. Zarei was revealed to be gay. Oh, its not becuase she was gay or that it felt forced. Its becuase she became the same overly exaggerated, quirky person that every other goddam character is in this comic.

Paranatural went full-shonen. You never go full-shonen 

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#10 [url]

Dec 19 16 10:40 AM

EssTiiEphYu wrote:
And no one's stopping the idiot too. This used to be good, but now it's just. . . .getting nowhere.
The train sequence dragged a bit, but the pacing ground to a crawl during dodgeball. It's another example of someone pacing their webcomic like it's a cartoon. You can't do that. If this was episode 4 of Paranatural! on Cartoon Network we wouldn't be having this discussion, but it's month 8 of a storyline that was mostly still images of what might have been fast-paced action followed by Max repeatedly yelling at people.
ohitsyou wrote:
Yeah, Ive started to wane towards Paranatural when Dr. Zarei was revealed to be gay. Oh, its not becuase she was gay or that it felt forced. Its becuase she became the same overly exaggerated, quirky person that every other goddam character is in this comic.
I'm with you on Dr. Zarei. She's gay? Fine, whatever. Why is she going totally spastic over vague flirting? Her character had previously been portrayed as extremely emotionally reserved. The only time her face showed an emotion other than "general disdain" or "enhanced disdain" was when it looked like she was being vaguely threatened to turn over her lantern. Her expression at that was still understated but appeared to be "Fuck yeah! FINALLY! I'll fight all of you motherfuckers!"

EDIT: For posterity, this is the current comic.

Last Edited By: SmashLampjaw Dec 19 16 10:07 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Jan 21 17 12:31 AM

SmashLampjaw wrote:

EssTiiEphYu wrote:
And no one's stopping the idiot too. This used to be good, but now it's just. . . .getting nowhere.

The train sequence dragged a bit, but the pacing ground to a crawl during dodgeball. It's another example of someone pacing their webcomic like it's a cartoon. You can't do that. If this was episode 4 of Paranatural! on Cartoon Network we wouldn't be having this discussion, but it's month 8 of a storyline that was mostly still images of what might have been fast-paced action followed by Max repeatedly yelling at people.

The dodgeball arc was basically a parody of over long fights in Shounen anime generally, with large chunks of it being parodies of this or that popular shounen anime in particular. I've been rereading Naruto for reasons, and I noticed this, for instance

[...]

And while I still think the dodgeball arc was WAAAAAY too long live (it's a lot less bad if you were to start reading the archive now, as is usually the case with these things, and part of the joke is it being really long), I'd probably enjoy it a lot more if I were more familiar with battle manga  and got more of the references

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#12 [url]

Jan 21 17 1:42 AM

The comic was an interesting comparison, but the point of a parody mocking something that takes too long gets lost when your parody itself takes too long. That arc was an eternity. He needs to stop pacing this damn comic like it's an animated series.

Quote    Reply   

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

#13 [url]

Jan 22 17 12:15 AM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
The comic was an interesting comparison, but the point of a parody mocking something that takes too long gets lost when your parody itself takes too long. That arc was an eternity. He needs to stop pacing this damn comic like it's an animated series.

Or just make an animated series. Propably could get a deal from Cartoon Network. They seem pretty open-minded.

Or instead of taking cues from anime, take them from mangas which are usually better paced then their anime counterparts.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jan 22 17 6:53 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:

He's writing for the trade. If you read the hitball arc now, it's not that bad (though still a bit too long even there). It's only live that it (and the Ghost Train arc that got similar complaints) feels overlong. 

"Slow pacing" is just inherent to webcomics as a medium, especially 2-a-week ones. See also: Sleepless Domain

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#16 [url]

Jan 22 17 8:08 PM

Essay Mod wrote:
SmashLampjaw wrote:
He's writing for the trade. If you read the hitball arc now, it's not that bad (though still a bit too long even there). It's only live that it (and the Ghost Train arc that got similar complaints) feels overlong.
He's writing a webcomic and pacing like shit for a webcomic. I don't give a damn how this will look 8 months from now when the arc finally wraps up and he publishes this in the print comic medium via Kickstarter. It's a webcomic now, he's being paid for it as a webcomic now, and his pacing is shit for a webcomic which I feel I must stress one last time is what he has now.

Look at this mess. The train ride, which dragged on forever, was a bunch of stills of action that opened up a handful of new mysteries. When it finally ended his fans (which included myself) were wondering what we'd learn next about the "Goddess" or "Forge" or even Spender's shadows. So what does ZM do? He introduced another new, possibly unrelated mystery then immediately put on that hold for dodgeball. Then he dragged out dodgeball with stills of action for months just like with the train. When he finally had to do a couple comics of the new mystery finally being investigated he wrapped those around the introduction of lengthy new background shit like the School Store. Now that things are finally moving again we're interrupted to learn that Isabel's new spirit is thematically inconsistent.

The pacing would be semi-tolerable for a cartoon and tedious in a print comic, but it is absolute garbage for the medium he's actually in. There's no way around that.
Essay Mod wrote:
"Slow pacing" is just inherent to webcomics as a medium, especially 2-a-week ones. See also: Sleepless Domain
Why did you put slow pacing in quotes when I didn't say it? I said he was pacing this like a cartoon and it isn't one.

Last Edited By: SmashLampjaw Jan 22 17 8:26 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#17 [url]

Feb 10 17 8:29 AM

Anyone remember when Paranatural's plot advanced more than 1 smidgen per 2 needless distractions? No? Can't blame you. August 25, 2016 was a pretty long time ago.

As of today, the 4-page side character introduction interrupting another 4-page side character introduction interrupting a single comic of maybe plot movement that's really just stalling for time interrupting six pages of side information interrupted by a 4-page subplot that still didn't go anywhere interrupting 4 pages of fleshing out a side character's business interrupting 14 pages of another subplot that hasn't gone anywhere beyond jumping the shark with generic brown lesbian tumblr-pandering interrupting the last time the plot was crawling at a glacial pace but at least stuck to the main arc for a noteworthy number of consecutive comics...

(gasp for air)

... has itself been interrupted by the first of a series of vacation comics.

I can no longer complain ZM is pacing this like animation. Upon giving this another look, I believe he's just shifting topics because he's gotten bored that the story hasn't been turned into a webcomic quickly enough.

Last Edited By: SmashLampjaw Feb 10 17 9:00 AM. Edited 4 times.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#19 [url]

Feb 10 17 1:25 PM

I don't believe it's a lost cause. It's always possible after some reflection ZM learns from this. Like maybe with the next chapter he commits to having short bits for introducing things and longer uninterrupted runs for plot advancement and limited subplots. He has to know dodgeball was a disaster.

Quote    Reply   

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

#20 [url]

Feb 10 17 2:17 PM

I agree.

It could just be a rough patch. Maybe it will pick up when the next chapter starts...which is due by the end of this decade. 

Joking aside, I feel that if the next chapter stinks, than this should be taken into consideration for a review.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help