Tags : :
This author is a bit of a known face in the Pokémon fandom and she has gathered a massive following due to a Pokémon RP/comic themed group called PMD-Explorers, which was also mentioned in this forum in the past. PMD-E itself got no review due to having been interrupted, and to the fact that most things wrong with it mainly had to do with what an unpleasant person Purplekecleon is.
Now she has an original comic that I find worthy of being on this wiki, and I have quite a lot to say about it so I’d be inclined to put it in the Most Wanted category. But I’m afraid my personal views on the author may make me biased, so I decided to submit it here so you can judge it yourselves.The comic has no real main story, it is just a bunch of different stories all set in the same context, called Floraverse (there are also abundant porn plots that are grouped under Forbidden Flora, but you need to pay to see most of them). So far these include a comic called Seeds whose book has been successfully kickstarted, and a flash novel called Itchy Itchy, which interrupts the Seeds storyline halfway through, plus some one-offs that bear no relevance to the plot and are mostly for the deviantart group. Here are some things I have to say about it:
- PK is a competent artist when it comes to painting and color choice. I dislike the abundant use of pink everywhere that may be headache inducing, and how little variation there is between different environments, but I’ll cross that out as personal preference for now.
- The character designs are easy to like if you are into Pokémon. There are a lot of species and, at least superficially, some worldbuilding. Whether you like the species or not is a different business.
- The idea of making an open world for people to play with is appealing.
- PK is productive and makes comics very quickly, so the people that funded her kickstarter won’t be left empty-handed. Currently there is no way the comic will ever be on hiatus.
- I guess the cast is diverse in terms of gender and sexuality. But there are some cons to that.
- Where is the plot and why should we care?
- No anatomy and very little sense of perspective. PK, in spite of her characters being bipedal anthro animals, admittedly does not know how human anatomy works and she protests if somebody points it out by saying that she is not interested in drawing humans anyway- so basically it boils down to “it’s my style!!!
- The comic has a severe case of same-face syndrome. All characters have a standard round head with a nubby nose except for two or three exceptions. They also all have the exact same set of expressions.
- Personalities are also all same-ish. There is only one kind of character that PK writes with more dedication, and that is usually her self-inserts (oh btw I can see at least 2-3 characters that have some tell-tale signs of being self-inserts): easily agitated, needy, kinda-selfish, kinda-loving, somewhat preachy, impatient. All the others have very little depth to them, which leads to the next point…
- Many characters, especially in the recent arc, have little personality beyond being part of the LGBTQ. You’d think that as someone big on tumblr social justice, PK would at least know how to handle them well, but then she proceeds to make a fetish comic about her mtf trans character having a huge dong and wanting to be spanked. The ratio of female:LGBTQ:male characters in the comic is 2:2:1 and it is a reason for her to boast but a LGBTQ character still has to have a personality. All this porn is also very creepy/ridiculous since the characters look like small cartoon animals.
- Pokémon rip-offs. The two main characters are admittedly expys of her old PMD-E characters, a Celebi and Manaphy. Other characters look like they are taken directly from MLP.
- Actions have no consequences. There does not seem to be any risk, any tradeoff to the choices characters make. In one chapter they are put against an “angel atrocity” that is supposedly a big deal, but no harm is made.
- Furries go to hell. Nothing about hell is interesting or different from the rest of the world. Even demons often have no reason to be called demons, or even to carry the names from the Ars Goetia. Baphomet (supposedly the empress of hell, so Satan) is a good guy (girl actually cause she’s female). The capital sins are also implied to all be good guys. I’m a big nerd when it comes to Christian mythology so this bothers me to no end.
- PK is a very unpleasant person and I could go on and on about this but I will only elaborate if you want me to.
For porn, (obviously NSFW) http://www.forbiddenflora.tumblr.com
Last Edited By: Hazazel Jun 1 15 3:07 AM. Edited 1 time