Remove this ad

sera234

Casual User

Lead

Jun 15 15 5:40 PM

Tags : :

I was poking Tumblr until I found this;
http://bismuth-butterfly.tumblr.com/post/113742099576/johnnyskarate-hey-hey-hey-guys-if-you-want-a
What makes me furiously mad is this sentence
'Jeph Jacques is amazing'
While not realizing he's an asshole in real life. Tumblr and blogspot only care about making new labels
of genders and race (appearances) than they do about character background or personality. When it comes to a aromatic/demusexual/homosexual agender half Latino half half fillipino half African whatisname
get to write *UMMAAZZING* (cough shitty cough) story, They treat them as a fucking god, But when it comes to a simple white straight author knew ALL research of the LGBTQA people
and even SUPPORT them or support a POC community, they treat them as the fucking villan.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

oneof5

Casual User

#1 [url]

Jun 15 15 9:55 PM

I don't really understand what you're trying to say here? Yes, that post is BS. In order:

the main character is pansexual (or bisexual i’m not sure)! {no hes not}

there is a bisexual character! {true}

also a trans character! {true}

also a character with mental illness! {who is the butt of many jokes}

and one that suffers from addiction! {true, but is a generally unlikeable character}

it’s been around for years!!! {so???}

and seems to still be going~ {yay?}

jeph jacques is amazing {blergh}

it doesn’t discriminate!!!! {??}

deals with real life problems! {being a hipster?}

is just great{???}

But I think I agree with you here. Tumblr is more interested in having one of every orientation/identity than they are with good representation. I think it was Girls with Slingshots that was asked "when would a trans character be added". Its fine to want to see people like yourself in media, god knows I'm tired of 30ish white dudes with dead girlfriends/wives, but demanding that every work ever has to have a cast of 50 people to make it inclusive is ridiculous. Its also damaging when people take this kiddie pool depth, SJW-pandering, upsucking as great representation. JJ hasn't done anything great or noble including these characters, he took the easy route with every single one of them, and people (like this Tumblrtwit) just slurp it up.

I don't know what your last sentence means, JJ is white and as far as I know, straight.

Last Edited By: oneof5 Jun 15 15 10:00 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 16 15 2:44 AM

Bisexual Butterfly wrote:
endosex 

So I googled this term, and apparently it means "Not intersex". Ugh, tumblr

Anyway, on topic, I don't understand why so many people obsess over having characters that resembles themselves. My own demographic isn't that well represented, but I don't really care. Why would I want to read about myself, anyway?
It also bothers me that so many people can't differentiate between the opinions of a character and the opinions of the author. I bet that were JJ to introduce a character who was critical of the transgendered girl or something, he'd get blasted to hell and back for being transphobic. 

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 16 15 2:31 PM

I'm confused by this rant. JJ is a white straight male.

While inaccurate the tumblr post just seems to be appreciation for the comic and there's nothing wrong with that.

There's a couple comics on the wiki I happen to enjoy.

People have a common defense mechanism they employ to defend themselves from the threat of contrary viewpoints. This shield they wield is the act of dismissing such contrary viewpoints by arbitrarily undermining their validity.

Quote    Reply   

sera234

Casual User

#4 [url]

Jun 26 15 9:38 PM

What I meant to say is, That there's a lot of
POC or queer author (labeling) who write stories on about themself (mainly 90% of the hipster books I saw on Tumblr are usually autobiography or slice of life and people will still shove down my throat because of how 'amazing' the 'story' is) . And when they do, Tumblr will usually go "OOHH MA GAWD REAL POC/QUEER PEOPLE A CHARACTER
WITH AN SO MANY IDENTITIES! !!!" "personality, what's that?" But it's come to
a white straight author (regardless of gender) with good research on history (on what story there telling) or the respect of the LGBT community, They will get a lot of flag
Unless they obviously tell the readers so many time 'it's
poc/lgbtqa character' to the fucking ground.
This is why I avoid lgbtqa comics like the plague. (Like Khaos Komics, Bridges, assigned male, and others I could count made by queer 'expert' author. ) Because it made me feel bad, it made the lgbtqa communities feel bad! As a African-American bisexual girl in her late teen ready for freshman year, I'm not ready for this. Cause It's all about "believe in yourself!!" or gays been always depressed because there parents are mean or extremely religious and
shit and I'm sick and tired of this. They use as gays as happy fantasy unicorn with no personality just aside there gay and that's it. *Cue the Tumblr homoerotic subtext sex!*I remember a blip review (reviewed by a lesbian feminazi) about 'Blue is the warmest colour' (which in my opinion is a actually good lesbian movie that doesn't follow the cliché regards of flaws). Who she said the difference between the original author and male director. And how misogynistic and sexist the director he added the sex scene (which I didn't like) and how he saw lesbians
from his point of view (which I found out that bullshit) and the current issue from Batgirl about the transsexual villain (which was a mistake because Barbara didn't know her in the first place.) and I still disagreed that Batgirl's friend (the transsexual one) is a believable character because I DIDN'T KNOW HER!! I would've like it alot more if she's themain character but she's not so why do I give a shit? Thankfully the saving grace known as Mundane Matt posted this video about writing diverse character over identity.
(inhale a breathing bag.)
Forgot the link-
http://fandomsandfeminism.tumblr.com/post/105058608759/autostraddle-now-at-this-moment-batgirl-had
And another (video)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jerRhukHEEw
(sorry I couldn't found the other video I was talking about).

Quote    Reply   

plarblman

Living Spambot

#5 [url]

Jun 27 15 4:17 AM

So... Tl;dr overemphasis on representation runs the risk of being patronizing? I think that's the point you were making.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Jun 27 15 9:17 AM

I'm glad someone understood that post. I got lost when it went from tumblr to movie reviews to I think batgirl but not sure.

People have a common defense mechanism they employ to defend themselves from the threat of contrary viewpoints. This shield they wield is the act of dismissing such contrary viewpoints by arbitrarily undermining their validity.

Quote    Reply   

fallinq

Heavy User

#7 [url]

Jun 27 15 11:06 AM

plarblman wrote:
So... Tl;dr overemphasis on representation runs the risk of being patronizing? I think that's the point you were making.

Of course it's patronizing. That's why it's called PATREON, Baby! ...I'll show myself out.

Quote    Reply   

Culhwch

Casual User

#8 [url]

Jul 23 15 4:23 PM

Huh. I thought he was trying to say that he was pissed off because Tumblr will leap on a WASP writing a minority character with an eye for any possible way that they character could conflict with their ideological screed but will blindly approve any character written by someone who is a minority themselves, even if they're blander and less well defined than the WASP's character.

Further, they equate a multitude of minority labels with a rich and enjoyable character as opposed to actual depth and development. I think Batgirl's friend is included in the post as an example of this; She's a very minor character who happens to be trans but has virtually no development. In spite of this lack of development, she has had long blog posts and adoring rants about her simply because the writers thought to include the detail that she was born with a penis.

Quote    Reply   

sera234

Casual User

#9 [url]

Jul 25 15 7:25 AM

Since it's funny because Tumblr informed advice or there rant list 'we don't want poc/queer characters as diversity quota', and look how they got distracted with some media. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help