Remove this ad

avatar

peabrain

Regular User

Posts: 167

Lead

Jul 14 15 1:35 PM

Tags : :

I'll start of by saying I've liked "The Oatmeal" comics I have read, but I have by no means read every single Oatmeal comic. Probably ten tops, which makes me no expert. I've really enjoyed many of the reviews I've already read on this site, and felt they've reflected my own observations rather well. I simply don't understand the purpose of "The Oatmeal" review rather than to vent jealousy? If I didn't know better I'd think that the Bittersweet Furries creator wrote it.

I've noticed a few simple errors that can be easily verified as false through the links that the review's author himself provided.

For example:
Well, again, this comic is the first part of this Cracked.com article, word for word.

I might be completely missing something, but that is not "word for word." Unless I'm missing a joke? I dunno. I'm sure if I had the time I could find more errors such as that one, but I feel that would be better left to the editors.

I also find the entire Author Biography to be really... well... pathetic. I know the author of this review didn't want to come off as jealous, but as someone that just likes "The Oatmeal" in passing even I could tell that he was stretching. Am I just oblivious to the outrage because I don't have a failed webcomic? I dunno.

Anyway, I just wanted to point this all out since this was the first comic I ran by that had weird errors. I apologize if I broke some posting etiquette or made an ass of myself, but I just felt like bringing this up.

(Now that I have an account I can go post on that Goblin's thread I've been lurking forever!)

Last Edited By: peabrain Jul 14 15 4:48 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad
avatar

hots

Casual User

Posts: 12

#1 [url]

Jul 23 15 8:22 PM

I agree peabrain.
Personally The Oatmeal comics are pretty weak and not worth my time, but it's not worth a review on this site.
Think of The Oatmeal like Pewdiepie, or Justin Beiber, if you aren't 13 years old then you aren't his target demographic, so you likely won't care about his stuff.

That said, a number of the comics are actually funny and educational (as educational as you can get with pointless reddit-style trivia). The art is a little janky and bad but it fits the purpose well. Faulting him for using Adobe Illustrator is really weird, considering it's a great purpose-built cartoon art program. The Author Biography section is an embarrassment to this site, so many unsourced accusations it just makes you stop reading. The Oatmeal is probably the world's most popular webcomic considering it raised the most money ever on Kickstarter for a dumb card game. He knows how to sell himself well and that's not a fault. If it's worth noting The Oatmeal has raised a ton of money for charity too.

So I think the badwebcomics wiki review should be removed .

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Sindy

Living Spambot

Posts: 833

#2 [url]

Jul 23 15 11:21 PM

The charity is the type of example you should've avoided if you were arguing that he's good. Because it went like this:
> Draw a retarded comic with an unfortunate subject (if I recall correctly, it was rape)
> Be called a mysoginistic fuck
> Scream "NO GUISE I LOVE WOMEN RLY HERE I'LL SHOW YOU HOW MUCH I'M REALLY NOT A MYSOGINISTIC FUCK"
> Attempt to prove point by asking your readers to donate money so you could give it to charity
> Raise a lot, lose nothing by just passing it forward to a rape survivor charity
> Pretend to be a nice guy to your fans. They lap it up
> Someone says this still doesn't prove you're not a mysoginistic fuck
> Tie up loose ends and brush the shit under the carpet to prove no really, I'm a nice guy, because I took the evidence against it away
> Less than two months later, continue proving you really are a mysoginistic fuck (he uploaded some dumb lol look at how bad girls are at anything beside sammiches amirite strip, it either was the girl gamer or another one)

So yeah. You brought one of the more mentally retarded and socially crippled things he ever did as an up point. Good job.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

peabrain

Regular User

Posts: 167

#3 [url]

Jul 24 15 7:59 AM

Sindy wrote:
The charity is the type of example you should've avoided if you were arguing that he's good. Because it went like this:
> Draw a retarded comic with an unfortunate subject (if I recall correctly, it was rape)
> Be called a mysoginistic fuck
> Scream "NO GUISE I LOVE WOMEN RLY HERE I'LL SHOW YOU HOW MUCH I'M REALLY NOT A MYSOGINISTIC FUCK"
> Attempt to prove point by asking your readers to donate money so you could give it to charity
> Raise a lot, lose nothing by just passing it forward to a rape survivor charity
> Pretend to be a nice guy to your fans. They lap it up
> Someone says this still doesn't prove you're not a mysoginistic fuck
> Tie up loose ends and brush the shit under the carpet to prove no really, I'm a nice guy, because I took the evidence against it away
> Less than two months later, continue proving you really are a mysoginistic fuck (he uploaded some dumb lol look at how bad girls are at anything beside sammiches amirite strip, it either was the girl gamer or another one)

So yeah. You brought one of the more mentally retarded and socially crippled things he ever did as an up point. Good job.
 

Too bad none of that evidence exists anymore. Does that other strip still exist, at least?

Got to give him credit for not having a mental breakdown when he's called a mysoginist, though.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Sindy

Living Spambot

Posts: 833

#4 [url]

Jul 24 15 1:12 PM

Yeah, sadly the rape comic was removed as soon as he was overwhelmed by criticism. Then he posted the charity money photo which I'm sure still exists. Much like in court, though, eyewitness accounts don't matter much.

The girl gamer comic seems gone as well from his site and tumblr, but Google search still has it.

He has some undertones in some other comics too, but harder to pick up and honestly I've only seen a small number of his strips. Happened to be around for the "charity" though. All I can think is he has the social skills of a one year old, throwing tantrums and making peace by giving you his toys. But even toddlers soon learn you buy them the toys, so they just give you rocks or bugs. And that tantrums aren't socially acceptable. Can't say this guy got to that stage even now.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

hots

Casual User

Posts: 12

#5 [url]

Jul 24 15 3:12 PM

O so hard to google things
Here's the strip with the final panel removed http://theoatmeal.com/comics/keyboard
Here's the offending panel of the comic: http://slacktory.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Shitty-Oatmeal-rape-joke.jpg
Here's his response to the controversy: http://media.salon.com/2012/12/Screen-Shot-2012-12-10-at-5.39.50-PM.png
And even though Salon is idiotic here's a forgivable article on the issue http://www.salon.com/2012/12/10/the_oatmeal_makes_a_rape_joke_internet_fails_to_laugh/
Where he also mentions giving $1000, but that was before he made the comic and nowhere does anything say that he got his readers to donate to charity because of his mistake. Encouraging to raise money for charity in general is a good thing though because somebody has to do it. If charities don't ask for money than they don't get money.

Girl gamer panel 1 http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4at8ddfS91rvmh7xo2_500.png
Girl gamer panel 2 http://d35brb9zkkbdsd.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/The-Oatmeal.jpg

I'm not a fan of rape jokes because it's pointless shock humour, but what exotic brand of feminism do you subscribe to Sindy? He jokes about genocide and you think rape is worse? Also what on earth makes a rape joke instant misogyny? the F5 button didn't even have a gender!
Misogyny - if you didn't know - is the "hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women, or prejudice against women".
Also This might blow your mind... but men can be raped too. Does that make him also a man-hater since he joked about rape? No because it's a crappy unfunny pointless joke that means nothing.
Finally on the subject - IF DONE RIGHT - rape should not be a taboo for comedy to touch on, here's someone who makes a decent rape joke believe it or not: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=70&v=b4hNaFkbZYU&user=ossBASHA

Same dealio with the girl gamer, it's an overdone joke and unfunny but to call him a misogynist is like if you joked about someone committing assault and I called you an ISIS supporter. Think about that for a second.
You're not his psychologist, you have literally no idea what his views of women are based on two bad jokes, stop spinning a narrative based on magical "undertones".
Besides, if anything it's making fun of the guys playing the game because they're the ones hating on the other guy while hitting on the random girl. Quite the gender-discrimination those guys have... remind you of yourself a bit?

Anyway if it comes down to your tumblrina views against my normal human views then we won't convince each other of anything and let's go on with our lives. That aside let's at least agree that the current badwebcomicwiki article has more of its own idiocy and tantrums than theoatmeal ever pulled.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
avatar

Sindy

Living Spambot

Posts: 833

#6 [url]

Jul 24 15 4:04 PM

Top kek, first time I've been ever called a tumblrina. Guess there's a first for everything.

Also you put quiiiiite a bit of effort into that comment for thinking the comic is not worth your time.

I stated him as a mysoginist because that's what the people who dogpiled on him called him. The undertones do exist in the way that he uses girls as the dumb characters or the sexy horny waifu in a bunch of comics. He also uses dumb kids, gamers as 12 year olds, fat betas, and a whole bunch of other "bad" stereotypical depictions of everything he's butthurt about, including animals. I believe that makes him a bitter, tantrum-y (tantruming...?) child, like I already stated, and how he handles criticism and his "charity" follow the same pattern.

I mean, shit. Dude's "informative" comics have wrong facts, his "this is how people act" comics are clearly offensive stereotypes for the lowest denominator when it comes to humor, and his "this ttly happened to me" comics are obviously exaggerated butthurt. You admitted so yourself. Yet you're defending him against someone you ad hominem'd into a make believe role to fit your narrative just because they stated a line of events you either weren't around to see happen live or just don't consider bad.
As I said, good job. You're sure showing how little you care.

And I find it funny that the only way I "attacked" you personally was telling you good job and you made a whole post trying your darndest to rip me a new one. When I wasn't even dreaming of an argument, let alone aiming for one. But if you honestly were offended by my sarcasm, then sorry. If you just jumped at me to vent frustrations aimed at other people, well...

You hand on heart made my day though with that "feminist tumblrina" . I guess you didn't venture into the rest of the forum but eh.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Sindy

Living Spambot

Posts: 833

#7 [url]

Jul 24 15 4:18 PM

Double post because I'm on mobile but 1. You just made a narrative about me judging him over some shitty jokes yet you made a whole supposed psychological profile of me over one word. Friendly piece of advice, don't do that in the future, 'cause in this particular case you didn't nail anything. Like, at all. But this is the internet and shit happens, like I said in the other post, you didn't even see me in the other threads where SJW issues came up, let alone me in real life or other sites or games, buuuut you felt the need to judge me over the use of one word. You should've picked up on my more obvious bitterness that retards like him get away with dumb shit and get rich too.

And 2, yes, Oddguy does come off as butthurt as well in the review. But that is his general style, although in this particular review it comes off as hypocrisy thanks to him mocking another obviously butthurt individual.

However I think the review should stay since clearly all three of us agree the comic is meh to bad despite the review and the ... misunderstanding and shit flinging. Probably a less bitter and more funny edit should be in place. Especially since there's tons of other bad strips he could just add to expand one part of the review while trimming the other.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

peabrain

Regular User

Posts: 167

#8 [url]

Jul 24 15 5:05 PM

Sindy wrote:
However I think the review should stay since clearly all three of us agree the comic is meh to bad despite the review and the ... misunderstanding and shit flinging. Probably a less bitter and more funny edit should be in place. Especially since there's tons of other bad strips he could just add to expand one part of the review while trimming the other.
 

I agree that there needs to be an edit; at the very least to remove some of the errors that are currently in it.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

hots

Casual User

Posts: 12

#9 [url]

Jul 24 15 8:33 PM

Oh boy damage control

This is hots speaking, this text editor has glitches so I can't unquote this text or fix any of the ugly formatting below. I wrote a response below but it's just some damage control and still being sore about the same issues so I just wanted to say sorry that this convoluted mess is pretty far off of the original goals of reworking the review. So this probably isn't worth reading since it's still focusing on that dumb disagreement of ours, but I still feel like you want some sort of response. As for Oddjob's review itself I should definitely reread it and I'll comment if I have any worthwhile ideas on how to improve it.

Sindy wrote:
Top kek, first time I've been ever called a tumblrina. Guess there's a first for everything.
I stated him as a mysoginist because that's what the people who dogpiled on him called him.
You felt the need to judge me over the use of one word.
In this particular case you didn't nail anything
 

You're saying you parroted tumblr (the only two groups which blasted him were tumblr bloggers and buzzfeed/gawker bloggers (I checked the facebook comments and they supported the rape joke)) but you don't understand why I thought you were a tumblrite? IDK maybe the >MemeArrows were supposed to denote someone else's point of view? I still can't tell.
Like, do you understand how often and out-of-context the word misogyny was being used? You used it 4 times in one comment; that's more than the average person uses it in a year. If you're still defending this then we're going in circles.
Also you put quiiiiite a bit of effort into that comment for thinking the comic is not worth your time.

LOL you got me, I like arguing on the internet more than reading random trivia and flat jokes designed for preteens.
The undertones do exist in the way that he uses girls as the dumb characters or the sexy horny waifu in a bunch of comics. He also uses dumb kids, gamers as 12 year olds, fat betas, and a whole bunch of other "bad" stereotypical depictions of everything he's butthurt about, including animals.

Nothing really stuck out to me, but in general I don't see anything wrong with using any stereotype for comedy as long as it's not every comic.
I believe that makes him a bitter, tantrum-y (tantruming...?) child, like I already stated, and how he handles criticism and his "charity" follow the same pattern.

Seems like he uses his honest and brash approach for views and validation. His honesty makes him seem more human, and makes the watcher feel like they were on the right side of a justice-fueled conflict. Not sure if he has a victim-complex but he's clever at using negative attention. His responses, as immature as they are, are mostly funnier than the comics; IDK maybe that means I'm on his childlike level.
I mean, shit. Dude's "informative" comics have wrong facts, his "this is how people act" comics are clearly offensive stereotypes for the lowest denominator when it comes to humor, and his "this ttly happened to me" comics are obviously exaggerated butthurt. You admitted so yourself.

Yet you're defending him against someone you ad hominem'd into a make believe role to fit your narrative just because they stated a line of events you either weren't around to see happen live or just don't consider bad.

I guess in this case i was defending him from whoever would call someone a woman-hater for making a unisex rape joke and a predictable girl gamer comic. If that's not you then I apologise I went overboard.
As I said, good job. You're sure showing how little you care.

Professors and students have been dismissed from colleges because people were so super offended that the prof/student joked about such a taboo. It's a serious enough issue that I think it should be discussed, and I'll learn best by discussing it with someone I disagree(?) with.
And I find it funny that the only way I "attacked" you personally was telling you good job

It felt like the whole post was trying to make me feel bad for mentioning something worth mentioning. That makes me a bit of a hypocrite to say since I attacked you, but at the same time I don't think misogyny and other baseless buzzwords are worth mentioning.
and you made a whole post trying your darndest to rip me a new one. When I wasn't even dreaming of an argument, let alone aiming for one. But if you honestly were offended by my sarcasm, then sorry.

You didn't offend me (not that you should care since people get offended about anything) but you definitely had all the controversial bases loaded.
 

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Brerose

Casual User

Posts: 9

#10 [url]

Jul 29 15 4:53 AM

Memearrows are 4chan, pal.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help