Remove this ad

oddguy

Living Spambot

Lead

Aug 24 15 12:46 PM

Tags : :

https://www.change.org/p/http-badwebcomicswiki-shoutwiki-com-shut-down-this-site?recruiter=356848768&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_twitter_responsive

Looks like we got our first ever change.org petition to shut us down made by what looks to be a 15 year old furry (https://twitter.com/18jacja)
I've signed it
feel free to join me
maybe we can teach those damn trolls over at BWW a lesson!

Last Edited By: oddguy Aug 24 15 8:25 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 24 15 6:15 PM

I thought that sure was for bigger issues than wanting to shut down the opinions of some random dudes on the net that don't agree with your webcomic tastes.

People have a common defense mechanism they employ to defend themselves from the threat of contrary viewpoints. This shield they wield is the act of dismissing such contrary viewpoints by arbitrarily undermining their validity.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 26 15 5:12 AM

If you had a dollar for every time someone wanted to take the site down.... I can relate though, because back when my comic got reviwed, I thought the site was just run by a bunch of Trolls who put people's work down for no reason, but now I've gotten to know the site. And I've also been a 15 year old who just started making comics, and didn't take rejections very well either. But I do think the reviews can be a bit over the top by being rude when reviewing someone's work.

Quote    Reply   

peabrain

Regular User

#6 [url]

Aug 29 15 4:49 PM

Oddguy makes a great point; the reviews need to be engaging to be read. Fortunately, a lot of webcomic artists are so great at making asses of themselves that I feel that the reviews practically write themselves.

Concerning the change.org petition, I feel that the real change should be sending that kid to grammar school. Christ.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#9 [url]

Sep 9 15 5:01 AM

I think this site is invaluable for use with the Top Webcomics list. The list is helpful finding webcomics you otherwise wouldn't ever find out existed, the voting is helpful in that as long as a comic is picking up even a handful of votes, it's probably still online (beyond the first 1000 or so, it's a veritable forest of dead links for the remainder of the 8550+ listed) and this website is very helpful in that some of the comics attracting votes are here and for good reason. The forum posts on probable vote fixing were very interesting.

On the flip side, good reviewing is an art in itself and can create even further entertaining material as an extension of the original work. Even if I like the work that's being criticised (and sometimes even being taken down viciously), a well done review can add to the enjoyment, both in its own right but also of the original material. It can also raise interesting points about the flaws and even alternative directions the material could have gone that I'd never have thought of. In a nutshell it can both entertain and make you think.

Also the forums are very informative, I'm working my way through Dr McNinja at the moment (haven't reached the twist yet though) and I doubt I would have ever thought to read it (or even found it) without this site and it's the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

Mind you, some of the things getting votes on Top Webcomics can fall through the cracks. I saw this: "Sam the Black Knight", saw it had a respectable handful of votes and read this: "Modern student Sam wakes up in the body of the Immortal and Evil Black Knight in the fantasy land of Denada. He is hunted by Good and Evil as he struggles to remain sane.", so thought it'd be worth a quick look. However, I didn't really fully register the significance of this bit "Graphical sex and violence R-18.". After a few pages, I'm surprised my eyes didn't start bleeding. I'm one of those people who hate to be the one being critical of other people's work (yes I know, so why am I here) as I know how much work even something objectively bad can be but this one is frequently just ghastly.

Quote    Reply   

Gamma

Casual User

#10 [url]

Sep 13 15 9:19 AM

Honestly, change.org has never worked.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Sep 13 15 2:08 PM

Hehehehehehehehe only 8 supporters and most of them are bww members.

People have a common defense mechanism they employ to defend themselves from the threat of contrary viewpoints. This shield they wield is the act of dismissing such contrary viewpoints by arbitrarily undermining their validity.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#15 [url]

Oct 31 15 5:33 PM

Gamma wrote:
Honestly, change.org has never worked.

It might have least worked once in possibly helping us get a limited cinema release of Cabin in the Woods in Australia.

Quote    Reply   

plarblman

Living Spambot

#18 [url]

Dec 22 15 9:13 PM

I see this kind of argument a lot and yes, people are capable of caring about more than one thing, but there's still something to be said about priorities and proportionate response. For example, we wouldn't be worthy of the kind of ire you would reserve for ISIS. You can still hate us, but if you seriously tried to compare us to a bunch of decapitating terrorists, it just makes you look like a fool.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Mar 10 16 9:58 PM

Only 9 supporters.

Some of these comments look like jokes.

"thos dang jerks trashed talked my favorit webcommec sonichu we must detstroy them!!! >:(" - Some guy from Antarctica

"Help I've fallen and I can't get up" - Other person

SmashLampjaw wrote:
Oh dear lord no. Not an online petition. We may as well kill ourselves, because we're over. It's only a matter of time before there's a hastag...

Oh, I almost forgot: #KillBWW

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help