Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

Lead

Sep 6 15 12:24 AM

Tags : :

I'm going to follow the advice given to me and sandbox a review for Exiern here. I don't want to even think of attempting to replace the existing review for various reasons, one being that my writing is presently nowhere near good enough and will need a lot of work, secondly I actually quite liked what the reviewer had reviewed up to and hated, however what I think is just my opinion and no more valid at best than anyone else. So anyway, my plan for now is to just write a review in the form of the template, post it here and then discuss it; using the feedback to improve it but currently, just plan to leave it here.

Also, about this forum where I was discussing this with other more established posters, something weird is going on here, old posts are continually disappearing and reappearing. Also, trying to reply to some of those posts leads to a page not found page. I don't know if it's just my computer or a wiki problem.

http://badwebcomicswikiforum.yuku.com/topic/207/Posting-A-Review#.Vev1RhGeDGc
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

#1 [url]

Sep 6 15 8:15 AM

OK, I promise I'll get on this as soon as this thread seems to stabilise a bit and both stops winking in and out of existence all the time and also doesn't display a 404 page doesn't exist error when I go to click add reply. Just seems to be playing up a bit at the moment, either just my computer or the site.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#2 [url]

Sep 8 15 12:36 AM

OK, I thought I would post the original text of the review and then in subsequent posts, tackle each section with additions, updates, my own commentary and the like. I thought it would help to have the review on the site visibly nearby for reference.

Original review author: Yaoi Huntress Earth; images, captions and some commentary by Lesbot
Webcomic name: Exiern
Author: Drowemos
Start Date: June 9, 2005
End Date: Ongoing
Genre: Fantasy, Fetish
Defining Flaw: Large doses of shallow transgender fanservice that waste professional artists' time and talents.
Things that are fucking terrible about this webcomic: It’s shameless whack-fodder that refuses to admit its whack-fodder all while trying to grab your wallet.
Things that aren't terrible but could use improvement: Compared to a lot of gender-swap comics, the art is pretty decent.
Summary: Drowemoss wants nothing more than your money with his cliché story, shameless fanservice and an annoying geek hero later on.

Rating Summary

Art: 4/5
Very good by webcomic standards.

Storyline: 1/5

Originally a Conan The Barbarian-type fantasy comic, but then it brings up transgender issues when the hero is suddenly transformed into a woman. (Yes, really!)
Characters: 1/5

Unrealistic fanservice stereotypes.

Miscellaneous Details: 1/5

If you want to actually see the naughty bits, you must send money to the author. I wonder how much money the author actually gets, when naughty bits are easily found on the Internet for no charge at all?
Overall: 1/5

Hideous fanservice comic.

Disclaimer: Drowemos recently contacted us explaining that he wasn't interested in money and that he hated the character "Denver". For those interested, his complete response can be found in the reactions section of the site.

Contents [hide]
1 Background
2 Story and plot
3 Downfall
4 Author biography
5 Art review
6 Writing review
7 Conclusion
8 Other comics by this person reviewed on this site
9 Links

Background

Why be a barbarian warrior when you can be a prostitute!
As hard as it is to believe, the transgender market is a very popular one in the webcomic world (counting this one, I know five). And this isn't transgender as in people who believe they were born the wrong gender and how they cope with it; but more in the lines of masturbation fodder where men get turned into women, get poked in the boobs a lot, get into weird trouble and realize they kinda like it.
Usually transgender comics seem to be set in a high school environment; one assumes for the promise of short-skirted fluffy-haired young schoolgirls to transform one's character into. Exiern breaks this mold a little by choosing 'generic medieval magic land' as its setting, and Conan the Barbarian as its unwitting man-turned-lady main character.

Story and plot

Our story begins in a generic fantasy world where aforementioned Conan the Barbarian stereotype is off to rescue a princess with an attempt at humor. So one assumes its first attempt is at casual fantasy fans; until the wizard casts a spell that turns the barbarian into a topless woman (literally seven pages in) and we get to the transgender market. Our eternally angry hero now goes by the incredibly medieval and barbarian-like name of Tiffany, and her life consists of as many tit and twat shots as possible, and some good old-fashioned gender stereotypes.
One would assume that being a barbarian and as such being obsessed with his own physical strength (GRR LOOK AT MY MUSCLES), Tiffany would be pretty fucking pissed to now be playing the part of an apparently significantly weaker woman, but most of the time she seems content to shrug it off as an inconvenience and an embarrassment. Got to stay positive I suppose. At least she didn't immediately start groping her own tits as soon as she changed.

Downfall

This thing really hit the fan when Drowemoss decided to try to appeal to hopeless geek market with Denver, a nerdy scholar who looks like exactly every other geek webcomic hero (bushy brown hair and glasses). Not only is Denver the only man who doesn’t leer at Tiffany (which automatically earns him the right to not only travel along with her and her knights) and gets her to think he’s cute, he’s also the bravest, has a tragic past, the mean ol’ knights that throw his book in the fire get their comeuppance, he might be a dragon and not even know it (OOPS I WAS A DRAGON); and all the while getting to be the only man able to kiss Tiffany without getting his legs ripped off. When it would surely make more sense for Tiffany to be a lesbian since she’s a straight man trapped in the body of a woman. Unless of course Tiffany was once a big gay barbarian.
Can we say self-insertion anyone?
Though that's not to say that Exiern was any good before Denver shuffled on-stage. It was already terrible, it's just that now it seems even worse.

Author biography

Monsters always aim for the rack, it's where the vital organs are kept.
The interesting thing with Exiern is that it’s a great chance to play guess what Drowemoss was trying to cash off on. There is no sin in making money off your art, but when it becomes obvious you care more about cashing off on your fans, that’s something different. Especially when Drowemoss demand a membership ($9.50 for the first month and $4.50 for each additional) to see the titties and naughty bits that are usually teasingly covered up when you can just pick up a Vertigo comic and usually get a better story and they’ll at least not censor the boobs (and maybe you’ll even get some penis) for a cheaper price.

Art review

"As of November 2, 2006 the World of Exiern comic are being drawn by the skilled artists of Studio Boom. They have been contracted to draw the Exiern comic through the month of December. The are open for commission from any who will pay."
The art in Exiern is admittedly a lot better than a lot of the crap that webcomics of its genre try to pass off as art, but it's hard to judge this creation by art alone when you consider that the artist is being paid to draw this drivel. Drowemoss' original attempts to draw the thing himself were an embarrassment to the word 'drawing' and as such have all now been redrawn by "Studio Boom"; artists whom certainly know what they are getting themselves into when advertising themselves as "open for commission from any who will pay".
Though that's not to say the art is in any way perfect; in particular the artist seems to have some trouble with expressions. The princess is supposed to be struggling and screaming, but she looks so neutral in the example I showed.

Writing review[edit]

As I said before, the comic was cliché at first; but it got really annoying when Denver joined the cast. There are moments where Drowenmoss tries to be dramatic - the part when Tiffany discovers the monster she fought (and ripped the top off of) is really Denver’s estranged sister made me want to chuckle more than feel bad. It gets worse when Denver throws a fit when she doesn’t take him along to fight the monster because she knew he’d get killed. Dude, she has a point; you run head-first into things, can’t fight or use magic and you don’t know anything about combat outside your fantasy novels. She's clearly just keeping you around as her PUNY MAN TOY.
Granted the story has gotten a little better without him, but it’s still the same generic crap and clothes-ripping (the cartoony filler comic is even more exploitative with suggestive lesbian undertones to appeal to the lady lovers) as before, until Denver comes back with Tiffany probably begging him to forgive her. The only thing that’s interesting is that how dragons will leave their babies (in human form) for humans to take care of until discover their heritage during adulthood. It's as if all the dragons got together one day and decided "Hey guys, let's all be really shitty parents. Then all our babies can be Mary-Sues!"

Conclusion[edit]

Once again, Exiern reminds me why webcomics are the new fanfic. It’s just masturbation fantasies just to exploit a market than share an idea or entertain people.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#3 [url]

Sep 8 15 3:21 AM

Link to the original review posted above: http://badwebcomicswiki.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Exiern

I don't know if any of this is ever going to be usable on the main site because it's for bad webcomics and I'm writing about it as if it weren't. Oh well. I'll get started by in this draft writing some notes in response to the issues raised by the original review. Obviously, this is all going to need a lot more drafts before being anywhere near finished.

Ratings Summary (IMO): 4/5 - Art, 3/5 - Storyline, 3/5 - Characters, 3/5 - Miscellaneous Details, 3/5 - Overall.

Background: My impression was that this started out as a comic that poked fun at the tropes and stereotypes of the sword and sorcery stories, typically Conan the Barbarian and the like. It didn't start out being very deep and that seems to be a deliberate choice, as well as at least trying to use a lot of comedy with winks to the audience and breaking the fourth wall. Your mileage may vary on how successful that was. Over time, the narrative started to get more serious but without completely losing its sense of humour.

Story and plot

Exiern is the name of the world all the action takes place in. We're thrown right into the middle of the action as the lead character and hero male barbarian Typhan-Knee is seen battling evil wizard Faden in order to rescue the daughter of the king, Princess Peonie. After accidentally (as far as we know for now) summoning a unicorn instead of the intended demon and hence neutralising all his dark magic, Faden tries a Hail Mary play and casts an overpowered white magic spell in an attempt to stop what seems to be a rapid oncoming beating. The end result surprises everyone, Faden included as Typhan-Knee's body is changed into that of a woman's from his previously heavily muscled male self. Aforementioned beating then happens in short order anyway.

[as brought up in the review] As to why he's not particularly bothered about this at the time is because he has rescued the princess and captured the much feared evil wizard and there's a very big reward for both. In a world with magic, things have their forms altered isn't that uncommon and the expectation is early on as stated by the main character that it can be readily remedied. As for the names, the running joke (or at least attempt at a joke YMMV) is that some (male) names in the Northern dialect (where the barbarians are from) sound very similar to (female) names in the so called civilised South (where the princess is from) which are much less complementary (hence Tiffany). It's even explained in universe that given his outward appearance is just easier to let people call him Tiffany rather than try to explain his actual name and hence end up having to repeatedly have a discussion about his predicament with every new person he meets. As for not groping himself, that's also specifically addressed early on and more so later.

Downfall

Well, obviously I don't think there has been a downfall so this isn't really applicable to me, this review and hence possible even this wiki as a result. It's Kröd Mändoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire type of humour I guess (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kr%C3%B6d_M%C3%A4ndoon_and_the_Flaming_Sword_of_Fire) at least to start with and often not terribly subtle but and this is an important point, things do go on to change in terms of tone and level of seriousness quite a lot.

About Denver, yes - still not the most interesting character by far in the Exiern universe, once the action gets back to the South, there's a lot better rendered characters. Probably the best example is the king is a fascinating and complex character who even though he's a good man with the best interests of his people; realistically he has to do a lot of very bad things to maintain the kingdom's survival. He's also got his fair share of personal flaws as well.

As for the other points, Denver does kiss Tiffany but that's because he totally misinterpreted a conversation and he's immediately thrown back first at high speed into a tree. So for starters, it's not like Tiffany intentionally let him. As for this ...

"When it would surely make more sense for Tiffany to be a lesbian since she’s a straight man trapped in the body of a woman. Unless of course Tiffany was once a big gay barbarian."

Yes, well, about that ...

Suffice to say, plot developments don't come out of nowhere. Even the innocuous and seemingly simple, even parody like opening scene/few pages end up setting up a lot more that pays off well down the line. A lot of foundations for later developments are set up along the way as the narrative progresses.

Author biography

There's been 3 main authors.

Drowemos (which is 'Some word' spelled backwards), the original creator whose contribution was from 2005 to 2012
Chemiclord (Thomas Knapp) (2012-2014) who had writing duties until new owner Scott D. Hicken (from 2012) was ready to take over the writing duties as well. (mid 2014- )

Currently the bills are paid by at least Patreon ($367/month minus %5 from 125 people) and the ad service. $1/month gets access to pages 46 onwards [publication pending - will currently be 1 page/month] of the alternate universe spin off Exiern: Dark Reflections (first 45 free on the website) http://extra.exiern.com/comic/dark-reflections-00/

Also, black and white preview pages sans dialogue (not every month). Handful of uncensored frames which in my opinion don't really add anything per se to the story, you can download the sequence of pages which includes the one from the review where Princess Peonie gets her dressed ripped, in this case you can actually see her breasts. Since the comedy in these settings includes how clothes can be utterly destroyed except for the parts covering anything society might deem rude (like Wolverine and the Hulk's pants), I actually thought it made more sense to send up the trope by not showing anything revealing as per the censored version.

Art Review:

After Drowemos started the comic and thought his artwork had reached a plateau that was nowhere near what he wanted, he hired Studio Boom to both take over starting from this page: http://www.exiern.com/2006/11/02/still-no-key/

All previous pages were ultimately redrawn and a lot of the narrative to that point junked and streamlined. [The examples of the art by Studio Boom on the review page were what got me to look at the comic in the first place and ultimately read it all]. The art (I thought good from the start) at the end of Studio Boom's run was even better and I thought very high quality.

[last page of Studio Boom]

http://www.exiern.com/2010/05/31/nottellin/

The current artist (Shipeng Lee) has been drawing the pages since 2010. Also definitely high quality from the beginning but I think it got even better since the start of his run.

http://www.exiern.com/2010/06/17/princess-peonie/ [first page 2010]
http://www.exiern.com/2014/01/02/bwah/ [2014]

Writing Review: I'll cover this in the next post, I have to think about what exactly I want to say for a bit longer.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#5 [url]

Sep 8 15 5:46 AM

oddguy wrote:
tl;dr

what do you want in 45 words or less

(What I want). Trying to write what could pass for review format here. May not qualify for site here though but firstly trying to incorporate the things that have happened since original review in storyline and its execution. Then see what I have and if people think it fits here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Still hashing/sandboxing. Currently trying to put down all the raw material I'm going to use for it.

Very short version of what I'm trying to aim for getting across in draft review in this wiki's format.

The comic's changed a lot since it started. Taking its material and set up a lot more seriously (much less comic farce/gratuitous nakedness/clothes shredding). 
Real life serious issues facing the characters being looked at with depth and not trivialised. May or may not have been successful.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#6 [url]

Sep 8 15 6:37 AM

As I was writing this, saw oddguy's post. After this won't add any more to this thread without feedback/further instructions from admin.

OK, here's the Writing Review Section. Between this and the above post is what I'd draw material from if I were ever to attempt writing a proper review. Some of the below probably should have been bumped up to one of the earlier sections.

You could broadly divide the writing into 3 sections corresponding to each of the authors or even two with the division being More Humour versus More Serious (the dividing line being towards the tail end of Drowemos's run). From what I've heard, each writer was hands off with the next one but did pass on the ideas they had about where the story might have headed had they kept on going. Even when the comedy was much more overt early on, building blocks for the more serious narrative to follow was being laid. Most likely this was a combination of original author intent and retroactive actions when the newer authors looked at past events and came with with ideas to use what may have been in at least some cases originally innocuous events and even throwaway gags.

Drowemos's Run: The princess is rescued and evil wizard Faden captured in the first few pages. The first major part of the story covers Tiffany and Peonie trying to make it back to her father's castle. Along the way they're joined by Denver and some guards. By the time they've reached the castle, they've encountered a dragon, lost all the guards, had Faden imprisoned in a magical keep after his numerous escape attempts and met the king. Tiffany ends up getting the job of being protector of Princess Peonie after a mysterious group of invaders surreptitiously attack and try to abduct the princess (again).

Chemiclord's Run: Sometime later after the previous events had been resolved at least for the time being, an assassin tries to kill Tiffany and this leads to a journey back home to deal with unresolved family issues. There's actually a very good whodunnit mystery that confounds a lot of expectations. Part of the time they have to go even further north where Denver has been left behind to find out more about his origins. So far, he's yet to have returned to the story.

Scott D. Hicken: Upon return to the South minus Denver, the lead characters are caught in a factional battle between the king and the church that had started up in their absence. Currently ongoing.

[should have incorporated the above into one of the earlier sections, will do so if this goes any further]

Basically during the course of the story and author changes, the narrative shifts from overt comedy, fourth wall breaking, winks to the audience and gratuitous clothes shredding to more serious storytelling. As raised as an issue that the story was trivialising the lead character having his body changed from outwardly male to female, as I said above it fit with this universe that initially the lead character wasn't bothered as the expectation was it could be quickly and easily reverted. This was tackled much more seriously when it became increasingly apparent that this wasn't to be the case leading to the main character having a temporary breakdown. It's increasingly made clear he never considered himself as anything other than a man despite all appearances to the contrary and never stops trying to find ways to change back. The lead character's situation has long since ceased to be played for cheap laughs and has been looked at from the point of view of a serious identity crisis both in day to day living and in trying to find a resolution. It's worth noting that in this world, people who have been put in this situation don't attract much undue attention (either positive or negative) simply on account of just being transformed both in the barbarian North or the South. Possibly a sign of being more open minded society compared to ours in that respect.

Generally, even though overt comedy and silliness (+ fan service) hasn't completely disappeared, story arcs and dilemmas are presented and dealt with in a much more serious fashion (political intrigue, power struggles and the like). Characters are certainly shown to be a lot more complex (but not needlessly so) and many characters aren't initially what they seem and break a lot of stereotypical expectations both in universe and possibly with the reader.

Conclusion:

This has gone from predominately comedy to at least trying to have mainly serious plotlines and complex characters. If the original incarnation of this comic didn't work for you, maybe starting from one of the new authors such as the second one (http://www.exiern.com/2012/03/06/from-the-wild-north/) might work out better if you're interested in giving it another go.

[OK, there's other things I could have mentioned but for now I'm going to leave it there.]

Last Edited By: Shan Sep 8 15 6:40 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#7 [url]

Sep 8 15 9:38 PM

Shan wrote:
Trying to write what could pass for review format here. May not qualify for site here though but firstly trying to incorporate the things that have happened since original review in storyline and its execution. Then see what I have and if people think it fits here.
You could always use your user page on the Wiki (or a subpage of it) as a sandbox. I've done that a couple times. I try to get the article as close to how I want the final draft as possible before I make a real page for it. Then I change the "final" about a dozen times from nitpicking anyways.

My goal's always to try and keep the change history as small as possible for the original article.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#8 [url]

Sep 9 15 4:11 AM

SmashLampjaw wrote:

Shan wrote:
Trying to write what could pass for review format here. May not qualify for site here though but firstly trying to incorporate the things that have happened since original review in storyline and its execution. Then see what I have and if people think it fits here.

You could always use your user page on the Wiki (or a subpage of it) as a sandbox. I've done that a couple times. I try to get the article as close to how I want the final draft as possible before I make a real page for it. Then I change the "final" about a dozen times from nitpicking anyways.

My goal's always to try and keep the change history as small as possible for the original article.

Thanks. Still finding my way around the features of the site. Also, there's the fact that I can't really write. What's posted above is most of the material I'd draw from as presented in the form of a jumble of thoughts, facts and ideas. I figured it would help that if for the (possible?) first time it would help if people could see where I was coming from as well as give me an easy place to find my notes (I know not to make this a habit, one time only as this is a public forum). I imagine given time I could bash it into (possibly) acceptable shape.

I guess what I'm trying to say in less and better words than I have above is that the comic has changed a lot from when it began. Now like or still hate it, I think it can't be denied that they're trying to do something different even if people who didn't like it at the start are neither swayed by the changes nor inclined to start reading it again. There may be an argument that the review should reflect that.

I suppose the other thing is that the even at the time of the review, the original author had already pre-emptively addressed at least some of the criticisms raised in pages done years before the review. So it's not like they weren't aware of the potential issues and may well have set up in advance, maybe even from the beginning to tackle them down the line. Even if not, there's also the argument that these questions had been answered before they'd even been raised in the first place (and the new authors went on to build on that fact too - actually some of that was before the review was even created and a lot of the rest just a few months afterwards - I looked it up). 

Complicating things there is that a) I don't think this is a bad webcomic IMO, which would disqualify a review from here wouldn't it? (currently it's on the cusp of possibly being something really good if not great when the story's all said and done if they play their cards right also IMO) but b) I would imagine a lot of people I don't think share my view either and that's extremely valid position if not the majority position taken on at least the early stuff (I like it but I have run it past some forums I know and even though I didn't really think about it, they did point out the earliest pages had a lot of wall to wall text which understandably could put people off from going further just for starters). 

So currently, still just thinking about it at the moment and what (if anything) to do next.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#9 [url]

Oct 20 15 11:29 PM

I'm going to add to the review for this webcomic over the next few days. A lot has changed with it since the review was written. I'm going to mostly use elements of my earlier posts on this thread but no more than absolutely necessary. Public interest declaration, I do give them money via Patreon. Please feel free to revert any of my changes if you feel they're inappropriate, inaccurate or out of place.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

#10 [url]

Oct 21 15 10:25 AM

OK, I've added all the detail that I think was necessary to cover the period of time after the Exiern review was written to the present day. I've also heavily rewritten the existing review to among other things, answer some of the questions the review raised which in fact were already answered in the comic at the time of writing. It still needs work but I can't stay up any longer to work on it now. It still needs some polishing and clean up which I'll work on as soon as possible, Hopefully the gist of what I'm trying to say and get at is there.

I also outlined any potential conflicts of interest as clearly as possible and made sure the previous version of the review is the one in archive.org.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#11 [url]

Dec 6 15 7:53 PM

OK, review is probably about as complete as I'm ever going to get it though every so often I do find something to add to it. Is there an etiquette here as to how long you can add to your review if you find new things or is it OK to keep chipping away at a review at any time in the future if you find something that warrants inclusion?

Quote    Reply   

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#12 [url]

Dec 6 15 8:53 PM

Shan wrote:
OK, review is probably about as complete as I'm ever going to get it though every so often I do find something to add to it. Is there an etiquette here as to how long you can add to your review if you find new things or is it OK to keep chipping away at a review at any time in the future if you find something that warrants inclusion?

I admit to editing reviews a number of times long after I've written them, especially if I link to said review from a different review.  Why?  I'm a stickler for writing mistakes or lack of clarity on my part, I guess.

But I rarely add things like further developments in a webcomic unless I (or someone else) sees the webcomic since my review was written and said developments are significant to change the tone of said webcomic.  For Sandra and Woo, it got more vulgar and disgusting since I wrote the original review, and for Bridgette's Belly, the author supposedly changed the nature of his webcomic by adding story developments...though I doubt that he has abandoned the idea of his webcomic being fat furry cheesecake porn.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#13 [url]

Dec 6 15 9:30 PM

Long Tom wrote:

Shan wrote:

I admit to editing reviews a number of times long after I've written them, especially if I link to said review from a different review.  Why?  I'm a stickler for writing mistakes or lack of clarity on my part, I guess.

But I rarely add things like further developments in a webcomic unless I (or someone else) sees the webcomic since my review was written and said developments are significant to change the tone of said webcomic.  For Sandra and Woo, it got more vulgar and disgusting since I wrote the original review, and for Bridgette's Belly, the author supposedly changed the nature of his webcomic by adding story developments...though I doubt that he has abandoned the idea of his webcomic being fat furry cheesecake porn.

Sure, that's certainly fair enough. In this case originally I felt it was fair enough as even though the original review was written in 2013, it covered virtually nothing that happened after early 2008. I also road tested the changes in this thread a lot before making any changes (which ended up rewriting most of the review) and I made sure any conflicts of interest were out in the open from the get go. At the moment, I've mainly been tweaking spelling and grammar as well as fixing broken links, though I did recently add a couple of images but one was a fairly old one to just reinforce a point in the text and the other was from a TV show to illustrate a commonality of a trope. I figure it's up to date for some time yet.

Quote    Reply   

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#14 [url]

Dec 7 15 5:57 AM

Shan wrote:
Sure, that's certainly fair enough. In this case originally I felt it was fair enough as even though the original review was written in 2013, it covered virtually nothing that happened after early 2008. I also road tested the changes in this thread a lot before making any changes (which ended up rewriting most of the review) and I made sure any conflicts of interest were out in the open from the get go. At the moment, I've mainly been tweaking spelling and grammar as well as fixing broken links, though I did recently add a couple of images but one was a fairly old one to just reinforce a point in the text and the other was from a TV show to illustrate a commonality of a trope. I figure it's up to date for some time yet.

I did significantly revise the original Sabrina-Online review because I felt it said too little about the comic itself, and failed to explain how a comic that was listed here could be very popular.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#15 [url]

Feb 7 17 3:00 AM

Look, some might argue that I'm biased and all because I effectively work for them and put a substantial amount of my time and money into it (OK, that's actually a very good argument) but on average, this webcomic's become increasingly funny and entertaining over the years and currently, the art is superb.

Quote    Reply   

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#16 [url]

Feb 7 17 4:07 AM

Shan wrote:
Look, some might argue that I'm biased and all because I effectively work for them and put a substantial amount of my time and money into it (OK, that's actually a very good argument) but on average, this webcomic's become increasingly funny and entertaining over the years and currently, the art is superb.

There are rare cases of webcomic that have an inauspicious start and get better, such as Dan And Mab's Furry Adventures.  I would like to see how Exiern is now.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#17 [url]

Feb 8 17 9:54 AM

Once the story got out of the woods and into the castle, it picked up a lot, I thought. Perennial BWW favourite Drowemos was still writing the story right up to the link below (which was well after getting to the castle), when Scott took over.

Funnily enough, my favourite story arc of the whole thing started here:

http://www.exiern.com/2012/03/06/from-the-wild-north/

when Scott took over running it but not the writing of it (that came later), actually it was someone who'd never written for a webcomic before ever (they've since gone to Megatokyo, I believe.) Scott had asked for outline proposals and took a chance, I suppose. Paid off in spades and then some.

The reason I posted about it at all when I did is because on top of everything else, they're very good at callbacks, sometimes to stuff that happened years and years ago (real time.)

http://www.exiern.com/2017/02/07/a-long-time-coming/

Excellent trollface on top of everything else.

Also, once again, how about that art?

Last Edited By: Shan Feb 8 17 9:57 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#18 [url]

Apr 28 17 4:52 PM

I'd just like to draw attention to this latest page:

http://www.exiern.com/2017/04/26/well-go-it-alone/

and say I think the art is rather good in this one. In fact, it has been for quite a few pages now.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help