Remove this ad

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

#541 [url]

May 21 17 9:28 AM

webkilla wrote:
and apparently its a "biodynamic" joker, so its another super

...seriously, I wish those two had come up with a more sensible name for their super-phenomena. I know its a nit-pick, but "biodynamic" doesn't mean jack shit - it doesn't describe what the phenomena does, it is just a meaningless label without its greater context. That makes it a shit label.

Not also that, biodynamic already is an actual word. Its the study of physical motion or dynamics in living systems.

It has jack shit to do with super powers.

Uh, its like Mulligan wanted to sound smart, so thought of a word that sounded science-y, not realizing the word already exists.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#542 [url]

May 21 17 10:46 AM

I interpret it as him wanted to avoid being accused of ripping off X-Men, so when he ripped off X-Men he just did a find and replace. Mutants are "biodynamics", the Morlocks (mutants who got very unlucky and look like shit) are "Dynamorphs", etc. etc.

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Quote    Reply   

#543 [url]

May 21 17 2:12 PM

Like I said - I get why they use the term in the comic, but I just think they should have come up with a better word for it

and if its something you can find in people's DNA - that actually makes even less sense, since then everyone would get the same super powers if it was the same genetic marker

what would be a good term for it though?

"Good news, your son has tested positive for the HS genetic marker"

"The what?"

"The Homo Superior marker - its that new genetic mutation that means that he'll likely develop super powers"

"So... abortion when?"

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#544 [url]

May 23 17 10:16 AM

Something's begun bothering me about this comic's premise.

One generation of kids got magic superhero powers; okay, fine, ripping off Rising Stars but setting it global.

The distribution was equitable, with equal distribution of powers across economic levels, the racial spectrum, and nationality; okay, uh, maybe some divine power is also a Marxist? Even though Marxism instills atheism by design? Fine. Sure. Author's an SJW it doesn't have to completely fit. They have no knowledge of history outside of fiction and victim highlighting.

As of the end of the latest chapter this equitable distribution of powers is from one specific gene? WHAT. That's not how genetics work. There's no way to make that work naturally. The only way you can make that realistic would be to have a worldwide conspiracy to introduce a retrovirus to reprogram the mutants' DNA either as children or in the womb (and in that case, you need an excuse for why the mother wouldn't be affected). Of course, the problem with that is you're somehow introducing an entire gene, which IIRC is impossible, but maybe that can be handwaved by saying you do multiple treatments with different viruses to convert one of those latent do-nothing old genes into the mutant gene.

The equal distribution bit is the real killer. That's where everything falls apart. If it was all poor kids, you can easily go with free vaccines as the vector, even though that makes it fairly hard to do multiple treatments. When you throw in middle class, the rich, and the children of senators, things get way more complex.

Quote    Reply   

#545 [url]

May 23 17 9:51 PM

agreed and agreed - but we do not know what causes this gene to manifest. Could a mutation primarily caused by exposure to something uniquely western? who knows

but yes, big plot hole

also, latest comic update: apparently blu-man group guy legit thinks himself a GOD.

now there's a common, but potentially good, use of this teen superhero bullshit. also they're about to get shot at. lets see how this works out

Quote    Reply   

plarblman

Living Spambot

#546 [url]

May 24 17 3:28 AM

I remind you that all these supes came about because of a wierd thunderstorm that happened when they were all in utero.

So: Thunderstorm outside + fetus = ZEE UBERMENSCH because that's how genetics work.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#548 [url]

May 24 17 10:37 AM

webkilla wrote:
agreed and agreed - but we do not know what causes this gene to manifest. Could a mutation primarily caused by exposure to something uniquely western? who knows
It can't be Western, it's global. The whole thing is an allegory for the "equitable" redistribution of wealth/power.
webkilla wrote:
also, latest comic update: apparently blu-man group guy legit thinks himself a GOD.
Yeah, this comic is amazingly stupid. Though I think when he refers to himself as an "avatar" he means he's a representative of the god rather than literally being that god.
plarblman wrote:
I remind you that all these supes came about because of a wierd thunderstorm that happened when they were all in utero.

So: Thunderstorm outside + fetus = ZEE UBERMENSCH because that's how genetics work.
I forgot about the storms, although that's probably why I've been calling this a ripoff of Rising Stars (though in that it was a comet). I couldn't remember why I favored that over X-Men.

Anyhow, the comic hasn't claimed that created them; the storms may have just been Cthulhu that weather control kid stirring in his sleep in R'lyeh utero. If the storm really was the cause, well, we're back to your point about that not being how genetics works. If it was a mutation of genes rather than the existence of one specific gene this wouldn't be so ridiculous.

Last Edited By: SmashLampjaw May 24 17 10:41 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#549 [url]

May 24 17 2:13 PM

no, avatar in that context would usually mean that you are the physical embodiment of a god

in the first panel the girl even says that she knows he's not a deva - deva being a hindu term for diety. She is saying "Dude, I know you're not a god"

but he says "no fuck you, I am the avatar of Vishnu!"

also apparently mister godlike likes his vidya, does drugs and smokes shit (maybe weed?)

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#550 [url]

May 25 17 11:42 AM

Hm. You may be correct; I'm not terribly familiar with Indian mythology so it may be different. Generally an avatar isn't something where if you kill them you take the god with it, which is what I was trying to get across, and they do not contain the full knowledge of the god. They're like a separate instance with their own personality but they've been infused with aspects of the god they represent.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#551 [url]

May 26 17 1:42 AM

in the latest update they spell it out for us - he claims he is a god

also, the people who came to shoot the girl were apparently worshipers of the god... but now the 'god' claims that she is his wife - oh and she also has super powers, the "I can move through solid objects" one

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#555 [url]

Jun 4 17 1:12 PM

Allison is currently turning into a generic brown man. Not sure if anti-racism or pro-sexism.

... all kidding aside, I'm pretty sure this dream sequence so far is, "Can I become the hero I thought I was? Should I murder Max's mom? Will I wind up with a stack of regrets like Professor Scarface? Can I fix what I did to Patrick so I don't have to lose my virginity to a ridiculous beta male?"

Quote    Reply   

plarblman

Living Spambot

#557 [url]

Jun 4 17 2:41 PM

The premise of that book sounds completely asinine, even for a heavy-handed metaphor. Also, why is it that mainstream media corps keep hiring webcomic artists? Didn't they learn from Marvel that that's a really bad idea?

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#558 [url]

Jun 4 17 2:55 PM

Counterpoint, Marvel hired Christopher Hastings of your favourite and mine, The Adventures of Dr McNinja to do Deadpool and Gwenpool among others ... (OK, that is for writing though, I realise that.).

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#559 [url]

Jun 4 17 7:46 PM

I'm kind of tempted to split this off into it's own thread. I'm aware she's the artist of SFP but this thing she produced isn't a webcomic. Does it have any relation to SFP besides being one of the least subtle "gender roles are social constructs" stories ever?

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#560 [url]

Jun 4 17 7:56 PM

I just mentioned it because here's a thing that the artist is doing in the tradition of here's what Tarol Hunt is doing in the Goblins thread. Believe it or not, I really don't want to provoke thread splits in general and in this case that's literally everything I had to say about the subject.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help