Remove this ad

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#41 [url]

Nov 4 15 10:16 PM

Just a status update. I was more waylaid than I thought I'd be last week, but I have been working on this. Currently I am writing down my thoughts and keeping notes, partially writing sections, etc etc. Once I am caught up to present, I'll re-read what I wrote and throw most of it away because it will be boring crap at that point. It should distill down well, though. There's a LOT of material to sum up.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

rhekyono

Casual User

#43 [url]

Nov 5 15 8:48 AM

And everyone is fine after the car actually crashes. Any semblance of reality was tossed out the window along with half the characters in this story.

Quote    Reply   

plarblman

Living Spambot

#44 [url]

Nov 5 15 9:07 AM

OK I think I've been able to figure out why this pisses me off. There's going to be a bit of armchair psychology involved, so take this with a massive grain of salt, but here goes:

It's quite obvious that this sequence of events is in no way realistic for numerous reasons, but it's not the fact in itself that makes me hate this storyline. It's quite obvious that Willis has problems with his religious upbringing, and that the comic is semi-autobiographical. However, it's that semi part that is troubling. Basically, this whole plotline is one big revenge fantasy where he gets to defeat his evil religious family members and come out on top triumphant, which is why nobody gets hurt and everything is all hunky-dory at the end. This pisses off normal people because it makes light of real life tragedies, like school shootings, familial abuse, and so on, just so Willis can selfishly exploit his characters for his own personal benefit.

Quote    Reply   

rhekyono

Casual User

#45 [url]

Nov 5 15 11:37 AM

And Joyce knocking someone twice her size and probably three times her weight through the air in one punch seems like the punctuation to Plarb's point. Way too much like a kid's fantasy of how things would pan out if they did things differently.

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Nov 5 15 1:10 PM

I like how the semi disappeared.

I screen capped Willis angry twitter moment for everyone that doesn't want to look at twitter.

People have a common defense mechanism they employ to defend themselves from the threat of contrary viewpoints. This shield they wield is the act of dismissing such contrary viewpoints by arbitrarily undermining their validity.

Quote    Reply   

drisko

Regular User

#47 [url]

Nov 5 15 10:41 PM

Found another post that might add to the author section. Someone calls out how dumb the comic has gotten and Willis ignores it and accuses the writer of stealing his work since the author didn't say they were donating to the patreon. 

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#48 [url]

Nov 5 15 11:11 PM

Oh well, at least all the people I support are painfully, normally nice practically to a fault and the exact opposite of this. Pity all their Patreons added end to end probably wouldn't add up to a thousand dollars, or if they do not by much. They could do so much with the kind of money this guy, the Dresden Codak guy or even the Goblins guy does minus all the drama. Unless of course that's part of the entertainment being paid for.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#50 [url]

Nov 6 15 1:40 AM

rhekyono wrote:
But Shan, if you cut out the drama, then what's left?

I know, right? Could you imagine it if every writer and artist were readily contactable, willing not only to engage in discussion about their work but also talk about things that didn't work as well as intended and how they could have been better; always keeping you updated as well as asking your opinion on things, and hitting all their update targets on time (plus regular information as to those very rare occasions they can't - and compensating by making up for it as soon as possible)? It'd be the end of the world as we know it!

http://i.imgur.com/JOTdL28.png

Oh by the way, Shortpacked was back from the dead for one special night only.

http://www.shortpacked.com/index.php?id=2195

Last Edited By: Shan Nov 6 15 3:44 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

plarblman

Living Spambot

#51 [url]

Nov 6 15 8:44 AM

drisko wrote:
Found another post that might add to the author section. Someone calls out how dumb the comic has gotten and Willis ignores it and accuses the writer of stealing his work since the author didn't say they were donating to the patreon. 

Hold the fuck up. I thought the point of those patreon exclusive strips was that they were time-locked strips that patrons could see a day early. Now if this were an entirely different strip that was not going to be published, Willis might have a point. But this was basically a strip he was already going to make public, with only the tiniest and most insignificant details changed. I'm no expert on IP law, but that hardly seems like theft to me, since nothing meaningful has been lost. In fact I dare say it meets the definition of fair use, since the point was to show how strips on patreon may differ from those that are published publically.

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Nov 6 15 10:40 AM

I love the he didn't say he paid for it so he must be stealing mentality.

Classic Willis logic.

Willis must steal the tables he uses at cons because he never says he paid for them. :P

People have a common defense mechanism they employ to defend themselves from the threat of contrary viewpoints. This shield they wield is the act of dismissing such contrary viewpoints by arbitrarily undermining their validity.

Quote    Reply   

drisko

Regular User

#53 [url]

Nov 22 15 12:15 AM

plarblman wrote:
OK I think I've been able to figure out why this pisses me off. There's going to be a bit of armchair psychology involved, so take this with a massive grain of salt, but here goes:

It's quite obvious that this sequence of events is in no way realistic for numerous reasons, but it's not the fact in itself that makes me hate this storyline. It's quite obvious that Willis has problems with his religious upbringing, and that the comic is semi-autobiographical. However, it's that semi part that is troubling. Basically, this whole plotline is one big revenge fantasy where he gets to defeat his evil religious family members and come out on top triumphant, which is why nobody gets hurt and everything is all hunky-dory at the end. This pisses off normal people because it makes light of real life tragedies, like school shootings, familial abuse, and so on, just so Willis can selfishly exploit his characters for his own personal benefit.

Just took another look at Willis' tumblr and... this actually seems pretty apt. He's done posts about how angry the old values he was raised on make him and in response to the latest arc, he admitted all he cared about was that people were praising him for the catharsis they felt. 

This guy is going to be a dad to twins soon...

Quote    Reply   

breeze

Casual User

#56 [url]

Nov 25 15 12:05 AM

I can understand being upset if you had shitty and/or abusive parents. It's a pretty normal reaction.

But for fuck's sake, GET THERAPY. Don't just make never-ending comics vilifying them. My mother and I probably wouldn't get along as well as we do now if I had gone the route Willis has.

(My mother can be emotionally manipulative and was especially hard to handle when I went to college and my parents were divorcing, so I get what Willis may have experienced. Doesn't excuse how he's handling it though... :/ )

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#57 [url]

Nov 28 15 7:45 PM

Still reading through this... I was more bogged down than expected. I also made a mistake: I was making little notes for each comic but decided that was dragging things out, so I quit doing that about halfway through. Now I'm going to have to backtrack and finish the per-comic notation because it's tricky to cross-reference shit without knowing exactly which comic to jump to because there have been so many.

The sad thing is I will have effectively read this entire comic 2.7 times in my life by the time I post the review. Do not weep for me, for I am already dead.

EDIT: Please keep the non-comic material coming. I haven't bothered looking at the comments or his social media. Maybe save some particularly stupid comments of his in archive.org just in case for me?

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#58 [url]

Nov 28 15 7:58 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
Still reading through this... I was more bogged down than expected. I also made a mistake: I was making little notes for each comic but decided that was dragging things out, so I quit doing that about halfway through. Now I'm going to have to backtrack and finish the per-comic notation because it's tricky to cross-reference shit without knowing exactly which comic to jump to because there have been so many.

The sad thing is I will have effectively read this entire comic 2.7 times in my life by the time I post the review. Do not weep for me, for I am already dead.

EDIT: Please keep the non-comic material coming. I haven't bothered looking at the comments or his social media. Maybe save some particularly stupid comments of his in archive.org just in case for me?

Look, I'm suffering through Adam4d.com at the moment so you have my deepest sympathies, especially since there's so much more of it for you. However I have to say, I'm really hanging for this, I can't wait (but I will). After reading the Shortpacked! review (which I know isn't yours), definitely can't wait for this one, which I'm sure will be just as entertaining.

Also, in the long run, we'll make this worth your while.

Quote    Reply   

plarblman

Living Spambot

#59 [url]

Nov 28 15 8:09 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
 I was making little notes for each comic but decided that was dragging things out, so I quit doing that about halfway through. Now I'm going to have to backtrack and finish the per-comic notation because it's tricky to cross-reference shit without knowing exactly which comic to jump to because there have been so many.

Now you know why I was reluctant to do DOA. It's especially difficult when you're trying to point out issues that require reading the comic at length, like what I did when showing how messed up the relationships in Shortpacked were.

Quote    Reply   

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#60 [url]

Nov 28 15 9:18 PM

plarblman wrote:

SmashLampjaw wrote:
 I was making little notes for each comic but decided that was dragging things out, so I quit doing that about halfway through. Now I'm going to have to backtrack and finish the per-comic notation because it's tricky to cross-reference shit without knowing exactly which comic to jump to because there have been so many.

Now you know why I was reluctant to do DOA. It's especially difficult when you're trying to point out issues that require reading the comic at length, like what I did when showing how messed up the relationships in Shortpacked were.

I only got through eight "issues" of The Lightbringer before I just couldn't read it any further, and felt I had enough to warrant writing the review.  Fortunately others had looked at it further and found what went on next, though there wasn't a great deal more to include.

I managed to get through ten "periods" of Triquetra Cats out of fifteen before the story kept getting interrupted; I knew that I had seen enough to see how bad everything was (and didn't really need to go even that far).  The artwork improved, but the writing stank as badly as ever.

I got through part of "Book Two" of Stalag '99 and decided that I could just cover the prologue and "Book One" to say how horrid the story and art were without bothering to go through the rest of it.  Just a quick skim told me that there was no point in trying to follow the rest of the series, which was as much a confusing mess later on as it was when it started out.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help