Remove this ad

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#901 [url]

May 18 17 2:58 PM

Shan wrote:
The parties have changed a bit since then.

For starters, the Democratic Party was originally called the Republican Party when it was founded.
That is wildly misleading. The Republican Party split from the Democrat party; the Dems went on to found the KKK afterward.

I'd like to get back on-topic though, given we have a politics thread for pure political discussion. Does anyone know why Willis decided to randomly name-drop Tomi Lahren? I've never heard of her; it kind of surprises me he wouldn't go after someone more known. Did she do something around the time of this comic?

EDIT: Oh, she worked with Glenn Beck. No wonder I've never heard of her. That guy is a manufactured conservative product on top of being deranged.

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Last Edited By: SmashLampjaw May 18 17 3:04 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

plarblman

Living Spambot

#902 [url]

May 18 17 3:15 PM

Also, I'd like to point out that the statement "all women are tens" has some... shall we say, interesting unintended implications.

1. Claiming that all women are equally amazing is quite easily disproven by the fact that are plenty of shitty women just like there are plenty of shitty men. The underlying assumption is that this is not the case.
2. Willis tries to deflect the above criticism by citing Tomi Lahren, though as previously, stated, that's more for ideological reasons than anything she's actually done to another human being. More importantly, though, there's a hidden implication that there are only a few isolated cases of bad women, rather than being the case that there are plenty of women who are neither perfect nor horrible.
3. This is basically the "virgin/whore complex" in a broader sense. "All women are perfect unless they somehow offend my sensibilities, then they're irredeemable."

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#903 [url]

May 18 17 3:34 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:

Shan wrote:
The parties have changed a bit since then.

For starters, the Democratic Party was originally called the Republican Party when it was founded.

That is wildly misleading. The Republican Party split from the Democrat party; the Dems went on to found the KKK afterward.

I'd like to get back on-topic though, given we have a politics thread for pure political discussion. Does anyone know why Willis decided to randomly name-drop Tomi Lahren? I've never heard of her; it kind of surprises me he wouldn't go after someone more known. Did she do something around the time of this comic?

EDIT: Oh, she worked with Glenn Beck. No wonder I've never heard of her. That guy is a manufactured conservative product on top of being deranged.

I said for starters, not for finishers.

I knew who Tomi Lahren was but then I do do my due diligence by reading Jezebel on a regular basis.

Glenn Beck we suspect is an act for the $, Sean Hannity, we suspect actually might believe what he's saying and everyone's quite divided on Alex Jones.

Quote    Reply   

plarblman

Living Spambot

#904 [url]

May 18 17 3:44 PM

Alex Jones is just a concerned animal rights activist fighting for the rights of frogs not to be compelled to go through straight conversion therapy.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#905 [url]

May 18 17 3:54 PM

plarblman wrote:
Alex Jones is just a concerned animal rights activist fighting for the rights of frogs not to be compelled to go through straight conversion therapy.

All I have to say is that when I first saw this picture of younger Alex Jones, I honestly thought I was looking at a picture of Jean-Claude Van Damme from Bloodsport for a moment there.

Oh, I suppose his strategy for claiming his behaviour on his show was an act during his recent court case was an interesting one. We would believe that for Beck but we're honestly quite divided on him, he's confused us that much.

Has anyone along the lines of any of these pundits turned up in Dumbing of Age in any capacity?

Quote    Reply   

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

#906 [url]

May 23 17 10:39 PM

Oh joy, more crap.

http://www.dumbingofage.com/2017/comic/book-7/03-the-thing-i-was-before/funk/

Umm...okay. I know its a smug-off, but I dont see why Billie here thinks she has the higher ground. Yeah, she was more correct with the definition of homonym, but Walky still used it correctly. So while Billie was more right, Walky was not wrong either. 

http://www.dumbingofage.com/2017/comic/book-7/03-the-thing-i-was-before/unexamined/

Wait, what? Sympathizers for Rapey? You me during the fight with Amazi-girl vs Rapey? Wasnt the audience suppporting Amazi-Girl, or at least indifferent to the fight? 

I mean was there even a hint that people supported Rapey during the time of the fight, and to this strip? I dont remember anyone talking about the fight, except to expose Rapey to his crimes. I'm actually kind of confused.

I would say that Willis is gaslighting, but I'm pretty sure he is just too lazy to remember that far back. 

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#907 [url]

May 24 17 10:19 AM

ohitsyou wrote:
Oh joy, more crap.

Umm...okay. I know its a smug-off, but I dont see why Billie here thinks she has the higher ground. Yeah, she was more correct with the definition of homonym, but Walky still used it correctly. So while Billie was more right, Walky was not wrong either. 
No, she gave the definition of a homograph. A homonym is any word that sounds like another word regardless of if it's spelled the same way or not.
ohitsyou wrote:
http://www.dumbingofage.com/2017/comic/book-7/03-the-thing-i-was-before/unexamined/

Wait, what? Sympathizers for Rapey? You me during the fight with Amazi-girl vs Rapey? Wasnt the audience suppporting Amazi-Girl, or at least indifferent to the fight? 

I mean was there even a hint that people supported Rapey during the time of the fight, and to this strip? I dont remember anyone talking about the fight, except to expose Rapey to his crimes. I'm actually kind of confused.
I'm a bit baffled by that, too. The clumsy way Willis implied it's significant his name isn't "Ryan" says he'll probably turn out to be some important Republican's kid. Probably someone who rapes Mexicans to produce oil, somehow, given Willis' "balanced" approach to depicting political adversaries.

What confuses me more is why Robin isn't wearing pants. Does nobody notice this? Nobody comments on it. Maybe they're too distracted because everyone is an extension of Willis and has the same pop culture knowledge.

Quote    Reply   

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

#908 [url]

May 24 17 10:37 AM

SmashLampjaw wrote:

ohitsyou wrote:
Oh joy, more crap.

No, she gave the definition of a homograph. A homonym is any word that sounds like another word regardless of if it's spelled the same way or not.

Oh, she was right with the definition. Its just that while Walky was wrong with the complete definition, he was half-correct when he said that a homonym does have different meanings. Billie is acting like he is completely wrong and that he instigated it is what bothers me.

Its like every women in this comic is having constant PMS.

Last Edited By: ohitsyou May 24 17 10:41 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#909 [url]

May 25 17 11:32 AM

She is incorrect. She defined a homograph and claimed it was the definition of homonym. Homonym is like an inclusive catch-all for both homophones and homographs in the same way transgender is a catch-all for people with gender dysphoria, actual transsexuals, actual transvestites, and pathetic people who joined in for attention and started making up genders and sexualities that don't even make sense.

That said, I am very impressed with the classiness of the old blog post still on today's DoA (archive). Why did no one mention that, since April, Willis has had "It’s time to take inventory of Welcome to the Fuck Zone!" on his main page? I know calling Willis an alcoholic pervert wouldn't be treading new ground, but come on, having that POS slapped right under what are supposed to be scenes of high drama with "fully-realized characters" is hilarious.

Last Edited By: SmashLampjaw May 25 17 11:35 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

#910 [url]

May 25 17 11:40 AM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
She is incorrect. She defined a homograph and claimed it was the definition of homonym. Homonym is like an inclusive catch-all for both homophones and homographs in the same way transgender is a catch-all for people with gender dysphoria, actual transsexuals, actual transvestites, and pathetic people who joined in for attention and started making up genders and sexualities that don't even make sense.

Oh wow, that is what you meant. That she was wrong.

Sorry, I thought that Billy was at least right, but even she isnt right with her definition. 

How hard is it to look up the definition of a word?

Yeah, I'll admit I was wrong about my assertion that Billy was right, but I guess I was trying to give Willis credit that he at least got the definition right. He couldnt even do that? How? We have the internet! Go to webster or something.

Jesus Christ Willis.

Last Edited By: ohitsyou May 25 17 12:17 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

#911 [url]

May 30 17 10:33 PM

http://www.dumbingofage.com/2017/comic/book-7/03-the-thing-i-was-before/lie/

That bitch! How dare Mary say that! I mean what would-oh thats right, Mary was physically assaulted by Billy and Ruth for using words.

Before these strips, there were strips where some freckled faced girl called out on Ruth for doing a bad job, which just felt contrived. I mean, when Mary called out Ruth, it had weight becuase Mary wanted something out of it, a.k.a peace and quiet. Here when freckles does it, it feels like the author is going "Yeah, my characters are interesting becuase they have flaws! See? Exploiting my characters flaws makes them deep." And while Freckles was right about Billy and Ruth having an abusive relationship, we all know that later we'll find out that Billy and Ruths relationship, while abusive, will work becuase they truly love each other.

I bring this strip up becuase I'm pretty sure I know what will happen next; with Joyce in the room, Joyce will call out Mary for not being a good Christian and will propably punch Mary next, justifying the action becuase the main character was the one who performed it.

Also, webcomics review guy said, about this strip, that Mary should also get into trouble too for leading the RA into suicidal depression. Okay 1, Mary didnt know that Ruth had suicidal depression, so she wasnt taking advantage of that angle. (Even webcomics review guy said this, but brushed it off.) 2. How would Mary get into trouble? Maybe I'm wrong, but Mary wasnt holding any evidence or proof. Yeah, she threatned Ruth, but she based it on speculation. She didnt have any pictures or anything, Mary just overheard some conversation if I remember corectly. All Ruth had to do was deny it, and make Billy move out of her room and kick Becky out and problem solved. I just dont see how Mary could get into trouble if Mary wasnt holding any evidence.

Last Edited By: ohitsyou May 30 17 10:38 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#912 [url]

May 31 17 8:40 AM

ohitsyou wrote:
I really wanted to read the comic first, but my eyes were drawn to this Slipshine ad Willis drew. What the fuck is that supposed to be a clip of? Some freckled girl being engulfed by a slime monster? Who would see that and say, "I must pay money to get the rest of that image, because this tiny window of sexiness entices me to want more!"
ohitsyou wrote:
That bitch! How dare Mary say that! I mean what would-oh thats right, Mary was physically assaulted by Billy and Ruth for using words.
Words are the new rape, after all. It's amazing nobody hangs Mary from a tree at the monthly book burning here at Tolerance University.
ohitsyou wrote:
it feels like the author is going "Yeah, my characters are interesting becuase they have flaws! See? Exploiting my characters flaws makes them deep."
I think you're right. The whole thing smacks of an attempt at lampshade hanging that probably should have been done a couple years ago to have any effect. At this point it just comes off as Willis trying to pretend he was aware of what he was depicting the whole time after seeing all of the complaints.
ohitsyou wrote:
Also, webcomics review guy said, about this strip, that Mary should also get into trouble too for leading the RA into suicidal depression. Okay 1, Mary didnt know that Ruth had suicidal depression, so she wasnt taking advantage of that angle. (Even webcomics review guy said this, but brushed it off.) 2. How would Mary get into trouble? Maybe I'm wrong, but Mary wasnt holding any evidence or proof. Yeah, she threatned Ruth, but she based it on speculation. She didnt have any pictures or anything, Mary just overheard some conversation if I remember corectly. All Ruth had to do was deny it, and make Billy move out of her room and kick Becky out and problem solved. I just dont see how Mary could get into trouble if Mary wasnt holding any evidence. 
Yeah, he really needs to stop publicly showing repentance for daring to give Willis an honest review back before he knew it'd keep him off of Hiveworks. His argument is absolutely insane.
The Webcomics Review wrote:
Hey, so, maybe I missed something, but how the fuck is Mary still living at the dorm? She blackmailed an RA leading (via a chain of events that she couldn’t predict) to said RA ending up in the hospital with suicidal depression. This is now widely known, and with Billie moving out, there’s nothing Mary holds over Ruth anymore.

Is it some kind of mutually-assured destruction scenario, with Mary threatening to rat Billie out for assaulting her if Billie/Ruth out her blackmail? That would make sense, and even tie in to “Billie can’t punch her way out of all her problems/spite isn’t smart” thing with Clint by making Billie punching Mary a long-term terrible decision.

But, and again I might have missed it somewhere, I don’t think it was ever explained?
I'd like to venture an explanation as to why Mary is still living at the dorm.

Ruth is an alcoholic who committed repeated acts of assault (actual crime), battery (actual crime), sexual assault (at least as feminists define it), extortion (actual crime), theft (actual crime), destruction of property (actual crime), provided alcohol to an underage drinker (actual crime), drinking in the dorm, selectively refused to do her job where Mary was involved, and broke protocol by having a relationship with someone on her floor. That's quite a list of liabilities for Ruth, particularly since the school can be sued for all but the last three of them. That's when she wasn't missing work to go on or sleep off a drinking bender in her room. On the other hand, Mary got glue on the floor, possibly committed petty vandalism on property a fellow student wasn't even allowed to have, and tried blackmailing Ruth into doing her job all of the time. Oh, and she tried getting Ruth to start a meeting with a prayer once, THAT'S SPIRITUAL RAPE, WHAT A MONSTER!!11!!!!111!

That's the entire list of violations that took place in the dorms for both characters. The people upstairs decided that Ruth not only gets to stay in the dorm, but also can keep her job while publicly continuing to break protocol. Why in the hell would those same people kick Mary out?

Last Edited By: SmashLampjaw May 31 17 8:52 AM. Edited 4 times.

Quote    Reply   

#913 [url]

May 31 17 9:21 AM

SmashLampjaw wrote:

ohitsyou wrote:

I really wanted to read the comic first, but my eyes were drawn to this Slipshine ad Willis drew. What the fuck is that supposed to be a clip of? Some freckled girl being engulfed by a slime monster? Who would see that and say, "I must pay money to get the rest of that image, because this tiny window of sexiness entices me to want more!"
ohitsyou wrote:

Words are the new rape, after all. It's amazing nobody hangs Mary from a tree at the monthly book burning here at Tolerance University.
ohitsyou wrote:
it feels like the author is going "Yeah, my characters are interesting becuase they have flaws! See? Exploiting my characters flaws makes them deep."

I think you're right. The whole thing smacks of an attempt at lampshade hanging that probably should have been done a couple years ago to have any effect. At this point it just comes off as Willis trying to pretend he was aware of what he was depicting the whole time after seeing all of the complaints.
ohitsyou wrote:

Yeah, he really needs to stop publicly showing repentance for daring to give Willis an honest review back before he knew it'd keep him off of Hiveworks. His argument is absolutely insane.
The Webcomics Review wrote:
Hey, so, maybe I missed something, but how the fuck is Mary still living at the dorm? She blackmailed an RA leading (via a chain of events that she couldn’t predict) to said RA ending up in the hospital with suicidal depression. This is now widely known, and with Billie moving out, there’s nothing Mary holds over Ruth anymore.

Is it some kind of mutually-assured destruction scenario, with Mary threatening to rat Billie out for assaulting her if Billie/Ruth out her blackmail? That would make sense, and even tie in to “Billie can’t punch her way out of all her problems/spite isn’t smart” thing with Clint by making Billie punching Mary a long-term terrible decision.

But, and again I might have missed it somewhere, I don’t think it was ever explained?

I'd like to venture an explanation as to why Mary is still living at the dorm.

Ruth is an alcoholic who committed repeated acts of assault (actual crime), battery (actual crime), sexual assault (at least as feminists define it), extortion (actual crime), theft (actual crime), destruction of property (actual crime), provided alcohol to an underage drinker (actual crime), drinking in the dorm, selectively refused to do her job where Mary was involved, and broke protocol by having a relationship with someone on her floor. That's quite a list of liabilities for Ruth, particularly since the school can be sued for all but the last three of them. That's when she wasn't missing work to go on or sleep off a drinking bender in her room. On the other hand, Mary got glue on the floor, possibly committed petty vandalism on property a fellow student wasn't even allowed to have, and tried blackmailing Ruth into doing her job all of the time. Oh, and she tried getting Ruth to start a meeting with a prayer once, THAT'S SPIRITUAL RAPE, WHAT A MONSTER!!11!!!!111!

That's the entire list of violations that took place in the dorms for both characters. The people upstairs decided that Ruth not only gets to stay in the dorm, but also can keep her job while publicly continuing to break protocol. Why in the hell would those same people kick Mary out?

Apparently, the WebcomicsReview guy is actually getting DMCA'd for his DoA reviews. Wow, Willis (or his fans) are really petty and sinking to new lows if they think it's ok to DMCA honest reivews that really aren't that inflamatory or mean.

Also, it's sad when I think that Mary is the most likeable character in this comic by far.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#914 [url]

May 31 17 9:35 AM

TheBiggerFish wrote:
Apparently, the WebcomicsReview guy is actually getting DMCA'd for his DoA reviews. Wow, Willis (or his fans) are really petty and sinking to new lows if they think it's ok to DMCA honest reivews that really aren't that inflamatory or mean.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa--

Do you have a link to that? This is the first I've heard of it. I mean I may disagree with that guy on 90% of... everything... but trying to take his blog down is fucked up. Doing it over bogus claims of copyright violations is worse.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#916 [url]

May 31 17 12:42 PM

TheBiggerFish wrote:
Here it is.

https://thewebcomicsreview.tumblr.com/post/132216039330/my-dumbing-of-age-posts-are-getting-dmcad?is_related_post=1
Hm. That's from late October 2015. Is that still going on? Maybe they didn't like that Essay Mod brought up the ridiculousness of the whole scene instead of weeping profusely over how beautifully -nay, masterfully- Willis illustrated how being gay led to Becky becoming homeless. Did you know 287% of all homeless people are homosexual? No? Then get woke. Willis is slamming down some hard truths.

Quote    Reply   

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

#917 [url]

Jun 3 17 1:32 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:

TheBiggerFish wrote:
Here it is.

https://thewebcomicsreview.tumblr.com/post/132216039330/my-dumbing-of-age-posts-are-getting-dmcad?is_related_post=1

Hm. That's from late October 2015. Is that still going on? Maybe they didn't like that Essay Mod brought up the ridiculousness of the whole scene instead of weeping profusely over how beautifully -nay, masterfully- Willis illustrated how being gay led to Becky becoming homeless. Did you know 287% of all homeless people are homosexual? No? Then get woke. Willis is slamming down some hard truths.

I do understand to a degree why he is laying off DOA crtiticism. 

There was a possible chance that he would of gotting DMCA'd for his critique of DOA. And as much as we would like to say he should of just manned up, there was a strong likelyhood that he could have gotten into some trouble if he contunied. I would have propably done something similar to what he did and avoid more ire from the Willis and his fans.

However, I would not have done a full 180 and started talking about how good DOA is, showering it with positive praise. What is this, Stockholm Syndrome? Just dont talk about the bad webcomic anymore and focus and other webcomics that do not have an insane fanbase. Seriously, why would you want to appease someone who made your life a complete hell? 

And if you thought that "Mary should have gotten kicked out" explanation was bad, you should hear him why Mary is an effective villian, as she always says horrible things and the reason she gets sympathy is becuase she constantly fails. Its all so stupid, becuase Mary isnt a person who's goals and interests are evil, petty, stupid or insane. She isnt Rapey who wants to beat up and rape people, or Hobo with a Shotgun who wants to steal his Dykey daughter back and pray the gay away. What Mary wants is acually reasonalbe and understandable. What does Mary want? She wants peace and quiet and to be left alone.

She's not hatching evil schemes to make everyone life a living hell, or trying to dump all her problems on other people, all she wants is to have some order where she lives, and for people to follow the rules of the dorm where she stays.  The only time she becomes a villian is when someone antagonizes her. If she is the antagaonist, she should be the one doing that, not the other way around!

Yeah, Mary isnt perfect, but she only lashes out when someone pushes her. I have sympathy for her not becuase everyone hates her or that she is a conservative, its becuase she usually has a point and everyone just punches her for her points. How is she the bad guy? 

http://www.dumbingofage.com/2017/comic/book-7/03-the-thing-i-was-before/directory/

Oh Christ, Rapey figured out who Amazi-Girl really is from one meeting, by using basic logic and reasoning. It took Harvard Grad here weeks to figure out who Amazi-girl really is. Uhhhhh, this is why you do not put in over the top stupididy and seriousness together like this.

Also, why isnt Rapey at least carrying a gun?

Quote    Reply   

#918 [url]

Jun 3 17 8:32 PM

Today's update was... I'm not quite sure where Willis is going with this. Anyway today's update was stab-ish.

I'm sure we'll get more convoluted stuff with the main characters going unpunished. Like, Dorothy should just tell on Amber: Dude, that girl stabbed a guy.
They'll probably go like: "But but but this guy raped Joyce" and start getting all torn up inside and wondering what she should do. It's pretty clear what she should do: Amber has mental issues that need immediate psychiatric attention. The guy's been taken out anyway, so there is no loose ends. Get the psycho off the campus and everyone's happy.

Quote    Reply   

FMan

Casual User

#919 [url]

Jun 4 17 8:06 AM

I actually can't wait to see how the story and fans excuse Amber tbh. That's probably what bothers me most, how so many of the fans are perfectly ready to excuse some really heinous stuff that the characters have done just because they're supposed to be the protagonists/good guys. It's self defense and the guys a dick, sure, but Amber is obviously going to severely injure this guy ({i}and is fucking insane{/i}) but will no doubt get off very lightly. What I want to know is if this will clue Dorothy in that being Amazi-girl maybe isn't the only thing off about Amber (I'm not optimistic considering how long it took her to figure out Amber is Amazi-girl, isn't she supposed to be a reporter?)

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#920 [url]

Jun 4 17 12:57 PM

I'm going to have to update the review. I can tell already. There's no way this turns into anything other than another narrative train wreck.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help