Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Jun 7 17 11:26 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
I was just informed "facts and feelings must work together to create reason. without feelings, facts are useless in a debate." I really wonder at the education system that churns out people with this quality of logic.

who said that? where? Link?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#42 [url]

Jun 8 17 12:43 AM

webkilla wrote:
SmashLampjaw wrote:
I was just informed "facts and feelings must work together to create reason. without feelings, facts are useless in a debate." I really wonder at the education system that churns out people with this quality of logic.
who said that? where? Link?
Oh, sorry man. I've been talking about the latest guy in the Talk page. Here's a link to his/her section; the bit you want was the most recent thing I replied to. So second from the bottom of the section.

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#43 [url]

Jun 8 17 11:00 AM

Well kids, I noticed something that came up on my latest Graphtreon update which led to having a look.

https://graphtreon.com/creator/assignedmale

Now people can hide the income but going by past data and assuming a probable average per patron in the $4 to $5 range, this is making between $5,464 and $6,830 a month. Last average per patron was $4.49 so at a current number of patrons at 1,366, that gives us $6133.34/month.

Read the different Patreon categories here. It goes up to a $150/month option.

https://www.patreon.com/assignedmale

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Jun 8 17 11:07 AM

Shan wrote:
Well kids, I noticed something that came up on my latest Graphtreon update which led to having a look.

https://graphtreon.com/creator/assignedmale

Now people can hide the income but going by past data and assuming a probable average per patron in the $4 to $5 range, this is making between $5,464 and $6,830 a month. Last average per patron was $4.49 so at a current number of patrons at 1,366, that gives us $6133.34/month.

Read the different Patreon categories here. It goes up to a $150/month option.

https://www.patreon.com/assignedmale

Fuck me with a chili oiled brick - how did she get a jump that massive in patrons?

Wait, wasn't that the time when that sob-story piece came out about her getting threats? Figure she'd be the sort who'd pull a sarkeesian

And Smash - damn, that joker is hilarious

also, that is so typical SJWs - trying to flip the script and demand that we justify our stance remaining as is, instead of them having to justify us submitting to them

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#47 [url]

Jun 9 17 9:12 AM

Well, now that I've had my soul destroyed (thanks Shan . . :'( . . ), I'm definitely going to have to update the review. I was entirely unsurprised to find the jump in patreons coincided with (almost certainly fake) reports of death threads but... she's #8?!? There are really that many stupid people with money left to spend?

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#49 [url]

Jun 9 17 10:31 AM

I was just surprised there were enough people that foolish who hadn't already parted with their money. Ugh. So stupid.

Anyhow, I've added a new section to the review to immortalize this farce. I don't want to use the words "thank you" in a sentence involving the link you gave me, but I appreciate the new material I now have to work with that you gave me covering a topic I am actively mentally suppressing the memory of.

EDIT: Also had to update nearly all of the links.

Last Edited By: SmashLampjaw Jun 9 17 4:21 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Jun 12 17 3:41 AM

good addition

I can't fucking wait for this wave of patreon bullshit to collapse. There are so many morons who do nothing and just get money hand over fist from that place. At some point people will (hopefully) stop throwing money at them

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Beardfist

Regular User

#51 [url]

Jun 12 17 11:48 AM

I've actually been talking with a friend of mine about the question of 'where's the money coming from?' She's got a better glance at the target demographic, given that many of them regard my breed as the great satan. Logically, you or I would assume that someone who donates to a patreon account is doing so out of their disposable income, and that it is rare that someone would support a comic like this without supporting other products in a similar vein. Perhaps more spendthrift people might ~just~ support this comic, odd a title as it is to choose sole patronage of. The quality seems so bad and counterproductive, it seems like there would have to be a better project to financially support.

Neither of us really know of anyone who donates through patreon to things, especially given that it doesn't come up in conversation very often. There is a parallel, though, with games: shit like Mass Effect: Andromeda, Life is Strange, and Gone Home are immensely popular among the LGBT/allies communities (not necessarily the people themselves, but the communities organized around them). There's a common trope within these games that I find to be rather striking: the writing is fairly poor, the characters are at best tropes and at worst completely unrealistic one-dimensional portrayals of people from those groups, the games feel unpolished, and the gameplay itself is mediocre. And while all of these games may have interesting concepts or touch briefly upon interesting ideas, it's not a matter of them doing some things right and wrong: if they at all appeal or pander to these communities, they lose their shit over them. Showing nuance can actually be counterproductive: I remember a little hubbub because one of the protagonists of Dreamfall: Chapters was gay, but he didn't mention it until the midway through the game, and even then only did so because it was directly relevant to something another character asked him. A small sect of people were in fact mad that he didn't within the first four seconds walk up to a guy and say STICK IT UP MY BUTT. LiS presents questions of sexuality in such a dumb manner, too, because the whole story's just a stupid high school drama - yet people slurped it up. She tells me that it's not uncommon for that to happen in prettymuch any medium - the dumb, pandering, simplified approach catches on with people who are young and fall into those groups, even if older LGBT people might find the modern representation to be distasteful or opportunistic.

Having established that quality isn't really a concern to people so much as pandering is - and pandering that catches on within thought-leaders in communities is amplified even more, since most of these peoples' only social interactions occur within those circles - I have a good idea of where the numbers come from. But where's the money come from? There's a good number of people in profitable tech firms and businesses that make a high enough income and sympathize with/belong to those causes to toss some dosh down, so it could just be a few very high patron outliers pumping up the average. Yet if that were true, for a size of 1,336 those outliers would need to be absurd to tug the average up to there. It's easy to think, then, that it's a bunch of people spending mommy and daddy's money irresponsibly, since that's a stereotype strongly associated with the progressive movement. Perhaps that's true for a section of them, too - particularly the people closer to the top of these community structures, who abuse their inherited capital to elbow their way up the totem pole. Yet for most people... what my friend has told me of their spending habits, it's just a whole bunch of people who earn shit for income, live at home, spend their limited disposable income irresponsibly, and have developed a learned helplessness that excuses their behavior and lack of progress. It's admittedly anecdotal, in that she's describing only people that she knows. I've seen this sort of behavior replicated, though, across all sorts of communities that are nominally welcoming to LGBT/Ally-community people: MMOs, RPGs, card games, roleplaying communities, fetish communities, etc. A lot of people are just fucking bad with money and blow it on commissions, patreons, overpriced merch, etc. and then bemoan how their savings is nonexistent or that they're dependent themselves on the help of others to get by. Rarely, though, do people spend enough to actually collapse themselves - just enough to stay stuck in place and believe that it's someone else's fault for why they can't get anywhere. Consider that 1 in 4 people under 30 in the US live with their parents, and this figure also doesn't consider people currently enrolled in university that will go on to live with their parents. SORRY that has gone up since I last checked; it's something like 1 in fucking 3 who are within the 'millennial' age group, so between 18-34 years of age loosely. Sure seems like a group that would be able to throw away more of its income that you or I would need to set aside to rent, food, or loan payments, eh?

tl;dr: it seems like the patreon-funding and e-begging habitation isn't going to end anytime soon, not so long as there exist a multitude of ways for people to spend irresponsibly and not deal with the consequences of it. There's a fucking giant market to exploit, and it's a part of the culture to... be exploited by the culture. It's fucking weird, I know: the cost of membership is very often being taken advantage of and then blaming someone else.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#52 [url]

Jun 12 17 12:58 PM

Man, you are speaking my language. I've been thinking for almost a month that a friend of mine could totally cash in on this craze. Watching Assigned Male's income go to plaid has only convinced me I'm right and you're reinforcing that. It's only a matter of time until someone figures out the right equation to completely milk this particular market. I'm just amazed Assigned Male looks to be the current front runner.

Quote    Reply   

Nomstuff

Regular User

#53 [url]

Jun 12 17 3:07 PM

Fat, gay black crippled transwoman character, made by fat gay black crippled transwoman or good con artist.

Share links to tumblr/4chan. Receive abuse and good will, focus on abuse, pimp for money.

Quality is unimportant, obviously, just make sure it's recognisable that they have the protected characteristics and make them scream about them every five minutes.

Job done.

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Jun 13 17 1:11 AM

Nomstuff wrote:
Fat, gay black crippled transwoman character, made by fat gay black crippled transwoman or good con artist.

Share links to tumblr/4chan. Receive abuse and good will, focus on abuse, pimp for money.

Quality is unimportant, obviously, just make sure it's recognisable that they have the protected characteristics and make them scream about them every five minutes.

Job done.

Sarkeesian tested, SJW approved

but yes - it would make sense that most of Assigned Male's patrons are virtue-signaling "allies" and not actual LGBT people. that's how most of that shit goes

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Jun 15 17 12:08 PM

if it wasn't because the comic was so shit already - then that there would be a perfect jumping the shark comic

instead its more of a... pig rolling over in a pile of its own shit, looking real happy with itself

SJW fetishization is a hell of a drug

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#59 [url]

Jun 15 17 2:44 PM

FMan wrote:
So have any of you seen the latest comic?

I thought it was an edit but it's real!
You know, the sad thing is this comic's dialog barely even registered when I looked at this. All I could think was, "Did she finally hire a colorist?" Because this is a marked and otherwise inexplicable improvement from a mere 5 comics ago when her characters looked like rubber sacks.

Quote    Reply   

Beardfist

Regular User

#60 [url]

Jun 15 17 6:03 PM

yo what the fuck even are those ears

like how fucking inbred do you have to be to look at a picture of a human ear, then render it like that, and go 'perfect'

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help