Remove this ad

Goat

Regular User

Lead

Feb 25 16 8:30 AM

Tags : :

Hey gang.

If you're a regular of the Goblins thread, you might've seen some of my art and heard me mention that I've got a webcomic on the way. I also promised that once it launches, you guys'll be the first to know, so here we are. Very literally. I haven't announced anywhere else and won't for a couple hours.

It may come as a shock, but I am not actually a goat. Well, not just any goat. I wasn't very secretive at all: I'm known around the 'net as Goregoat for drawing grotesque renditions of beloved childhood characters and pastel ponies. Here I'm known for trying to make Tarol Hunt cry. My name is Robin Crown and I make a dark anthropomorphic fantasy comic called Parydissia.

This might be a story for you if you:
* Are over 16 and don't mind some graphic violence
*  Like anthropomorphism, but hate furry fetishization
* Can't take bug eyed animal people with cutesy proportions seriously
* Are interested in drugs, the history of medicine, the color purple
* drugs
* Enjoy being able to identify a character's species immediately
* Would appreciate learning about the animals you don't recognize
* Are a fan of Blacksad or Redwall, or drugs
* Want to learn a fictional language with its own alphabet to pick up chicks
* Like dogs, especially Afghan Hounds and Irish Wolfhounds
* drurugsss s
* Always play the token beast race in games
* Have a thing for angry red haired artist ladies
* Have a thing for angry swordcane-wielding dog men in high heels ???

Thank you so much for all your interest and support. I hope you guys dig! We still have some stuff to clean up - extra features on the site will still be implemented or may not function yet, but let me know if you find anything that looks.. freshly broken. Updates will occur most Thursdays until a weekly guarantee goal is reached. For those who asked, the Patreon's here. TWC here if you're into that. Cheers!
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Sindy

Living Spambot

#1 [url]

Feb 25 16 8:41 AM

​DAMMIT GOAT

​I'm in love
PS: The first page next button takes me to the cover on mobile. Is that all there is or is the script derpy?

Quote    Reply   

Goat

Regular User

#2 [url]

Feb 25 16 8:47 AM

@Sindy AAH thank you! I'm nooot sure how well the site's working on mobile, just that it's okay on iPads right now at least - we'll get it phone-friendly ASAP. But yeah - there's only the chapter, credits and page 1 up right now. I see it's also flipping back to the chapter cover on PC though, I'll get that arrow to grey out with no link instead.

Last Edited By: Goat Feb 25 16 8:53 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

Sindy

Living Spambot

#3 [url]

Feb 25 16 9:03 AM

Yeah I expected a gray/absent arrow if that was the case. But hey, new site and all. Now you know of it at least.

​aw man wish I had even $1 spare to my name right now to give it to you. But as soon as I get my own financials in check you shall have phat bucks from me.

​Goodluck with the Patreon. Hope it takes off soon. I'm sure you'll get some loyal readers from here because ffffff that art-

Quote    Reply   

Goat

Regular User

#5 [url]

Feb 25 16 2:45 PM

We fixed those navigation arrows!
Thank you, Sindy. The thought alone is much appreciated. I'm so looking forward to seeing your style swaps and future comic work when you're able to pursue it! I hope those stars align for you soon.

And haha, thanks Rabbit! Unfortunately I'm too lazy/busy to keep up with multiple art sites, but I'll start posting some stuff on Twitter (@parydissia) from hereon.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#9 [url]

Feb 28 16 1:54 PM

You've been on the shortlist of people here I am genuinely jealous of skill-wise back in the Goblins thread, so it's probably no surprise I am enjoying what I see. This is the first time I've got to see your work as a colorist; I love the color schemes you went with. I am a huge proponent of the art matching the tone.

A few questions and minor items!

Are there drugs in this comic? I read your original post but I wasn't sure if there would be drugs.

Did you modify the Chapter 1 cover since posting this thread? I don't recall seeing blood coming from that fellow's nose. My mind may be playing tricks on me. I was a little distracted because the symbolic nature of it reminded me of LISA: The Painful RPG. It looks good either way but I am trying to see if I'm crazy or you really did change it.

Your content warning appears on every page the first time you land on the site, but only redirects you to the first page. It should use your current page as the URL to redirect to upon clicking the check mark.

Your archive page uses full-sized images for the links that are manually resized by the browser. That's going to drive people insane and run up your bandwidth usage needlessly once you have a chapter or two in it. You should replace them with thumbnails.

Your site looks good and is navigable with JavaScript disabled; good work there! You'd be surprised how often people screw that up.

Last Edited By: SmashLampjaw Feb 28 16 1:58 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Goat

Regular User

#10 [url]

Feb 28 16 3:40 PM

Hah! Thanks, Smash! It's an honor.
As for your questions:

1: There may be some drugs in this comic. No promises though.

2: Nope! He's been bleedin' all along. I haven't played LISA, but there's a lot of symbolism throughout the comic if you're into studying that.

3. Oop! I didn't realize. Thanks for letting us know! Update: Amanda fixed it - it's now the only Javascript on the site.

4. Eesh, I know, that was my coder's doing as a temporary set up. I'll be changing those thumbnails ASAP.

Glad to hear the site passed the JavaScript test otherwise. Thanks again!

Last Edited By: Goat Feb 28 16 4:18 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Mar 2 16 11:28 PM

Kind of using this to say hey Goat thanks for validating me off site to the point I finally posted here with a name...

This comic makes me happy...I have a lot of rage-y feels about 'furry/anthro' centric comics that don't use the fact they have this vast animal background to creatively express characters and tell a story. So far you've used your designs in the good way, and based on your commentary here, I don't foresee a weak hook into the 20 page sweet spot of story telling from here!

Quote    Reply   

Sindy

Living Spambot

#12 [url]

Mar 2 16 11:36 PM

Welcome to the forums, Creature, I dig your avatar.

​As for Goat...
​It's Thursday where's my fix dammit??? What have you done to me???

Quote    Reply   

Goat

Regular User

#13 [url]

Mar 3 16 12:09 PM

Of course! Welcome aboard, MC <3
I feel the same about the genre, and it's one thing I wanted to address with the comic. I'm so glad you think so thus far!

Haha, sorry Sindy! A bit late today in our timezones. I had some stuff to fiddle with on this page, aaand some technical difficulties with the site ensued. It's up now, though! http://parydissia.com/chapter1/1-4

Quote    Reply   

Shmeckie

Regular User

#14 [url]

Mar 3 16 8:43 PM

So far the comic feels to have a bit of an issue with pacing. Especially since you didn't debut with a handful of pages, you've got a whole week gone by and we still know nothing about the comic from the content of the comic alone. I feel like we, the audience, should be making more progress through the story/narrative with each page than we currently are.

Art is gorgeous, though.

Quote    Reply   

fallinq

Heavy User

#15 [url]

Mar 3 16 9:32 PM

The art is very nice.
I don't really feel like there's enough story to really judge the writing yet. The dialogue seems natural enough.
I wouldn't say that not enough has happened yet. It's only been three pages, and plenty of comics take a little more time establishing the world when they first start. It's certainly better than opening with a massive text dump.

Quote    Reply   

Nomstuff

Regular User

#16 [url]

Mar 3 16 10:16 PM

Goat wrote:

No Caucasian Shepherds, no sale. 

On a different note.. I can actually tell the animals apart... without having to be told what they're supposed to be. This.. this... is a suprise. 

Also.. screw you, only 4 pages -_- 

Last Edited By: Nomstuff Mar 3 16 10:25 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

Goat

Regular User

#17 [url]

Mar 3 16 10:36 PM

Nomstuff wrote:

Goat wrote:

Will a Tibetan Mastiff suffice?

@Shmeckie Anything updating on a once-per-week basis is gonna feel slow, but maybe let me get further than three pages in before gauging my pacing? It's only going to be read at this speed once, but must be paced appropriately for archives and physical form for years to come. As fallinq perceived, I'd rather establish my opening shot gradually and visually than start with a text dump. I would have liked to have uploaded more at the get go, but unfortunately it just hasn't been possible with my health and production speed as it is. Thank you, though!

Quote    Reply   

Nomstuff

Regular User

#18 [url]

Mar 3 16 10:44 PM

Goat wrote:

Nomstuff wrote:

Goat wrote:

Will a Tibetan Mastiff suffice?

Yes, that'll work nicely! 

Quote    Reply   

Sindy

Living Spambot

#19 [url]

Mar 4 16 12:31 AM

Shmeckie, your complaint is kinda bad. This isn't the first webcomic I started following since launch but by far has the best opening out of those. We have three pages in which we know the setting, the character names and part of the dynamic between them, without anything like this or the black page with wall of text intros a lot of webcomics use.

​Plus, a lot of good movies and shows and print comics take ages to start properly or show you the world. Start a random good movie and watch the first two minutes, see if it contains any more than an establishing shot and a line of dialogue, if even. Hell, series take a whole first season usually for introducing characters and picking up pace.

​So your complaint sounds less like criticism and more like "where's the rest of the story I need it nao?". Understandable, but not quite valid feedback imho.

Quote    Reply   

Shmeckie

Regular User

#20 [url]

Mar 4 16 3:22 PM

Ease up there, Sindy. It doesn't help anyone to rush in to dismiss criticism as invalid and attempt to decide what the real motive behind said critique was. My issue is that I really want to get into this comic based on the art, and Goat's pitch, but I feel like I'm lacking too much information or context to do so thus far. My main criticism is that it would have been a better move to start with a few pages at launch rather than just one (something I feel every serial webcomic should do, really). Obviously it's too late for that, but the issue then is that we're left waiting weeks to learn the name of the protagonist that we've already met. 

No need to treat this as if it's an overly damning statement. Just a bit of criticism. I'm certainly not going to write an entry to this wiki about it. To me, the first few pages don't feel like they were written with a once-a-week update schedule in mind. I'm sure the comic will still be excellent--I have full faith in Goat--but that is my issue as of now.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help