Remove this ad

avatar

Nomstuff

Regular User

Posts: 151

Lead

Mar 24 16 10:24 AM

Tags : :

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/10/ocd-isnt-cute/
http://endangeredbodiesnyc.tumblr.com/image/137111963332


Not here to crtiticize the message, but the art. It's erm.. awful and leaves a lot to be desired. 
http://everydayfeminism.com/author/christined/page/2/ - same artist. There is others. 
Thoughts? 
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad
avatar

plarblman

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,167

#2 [url]

Mar 24 16 2:13 PM

Well, I'm not seeing anything too blatant like #Misandry #KillAllMen #GiveYourMoneyToWomen and the like from a cursory glance, but that's just from the one artist you linked. There might be other, worse ones. The articles on the sidebar do seem to lean in that direction, after all. And some of the arguments presented are kind of bullshit, I'm just not sure if I give enough of a damn to argue them. That all being said, messages shouldn't be relevant to a review unless the writer blatantly contradicts said message in the same comic. 

And yeah, the art is pretty shit. But I'm sure that even if you criticized them on the art alone and didn't even touch the fact that they're feminist comics, you'd still get claims that you're a misogynistic shitlord. Because that's just the reality we have to face these days.

Last Edited By: plarblman Mar 24 16 2:43 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 24 16 2:25 PM

If you have a message to tell, than that's completely fine, and I understand someone wanting to criticize various societal attitudes and quirks that exclude or even underhandedly oppress minorities, but if you just strait up preach to people, no one is going to care. Doesn't help that these people don't talk like actual human beings. Heck, I could write that first strip myself! I'll do it right now!

Girl 1: Oh man I hate my food touching each other tee hee I am so ocd
Girl 2: Hey can you maybe not I'm ocd and I find it really offensive when people say that
Girl 1: Oh ok sorry no problem
The End!

Quote    Reply   
avatar

plarblman

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,167

#4 [url]

Mar 24 16 2:42 PM

I'm just thinking, we've covered political comics before, including feminist ones (Gynostar being an example) so I'm trying to think of what would be a good rule of thumb for covering political comics. I agree with crazzle that simply disagreeing with the message isn't enough to warrant a review, so it has to be something else more relevant to a comic's quality as a work of art. IMO things like broken aesops, self-contradictory messages, strawmanning, etc. are all fair game because they're examples of bad writing. Like I said, I didn't quite encounter anything blatantly bad, but maybe someone else will.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

YHE

Casual User

Posts: 14

#5 [url]

Mar 24 16 6:25 PM

I've seen the comics rotate artists and the amount of technical skill varies from horrid to decent.(http://everydayfeminism.com/?s=comics) I suggest the Politically Incorrect Man (who unintentionally makes better points than the hero) and the one about the 5 Radical Ways People Practice Non-Monogamy (which is a special snowflake extravaganza). Some can make good points, but other times the comics are annoyingly SJW.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

plarblman

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,167

#8 [url]

Mar 24 16 7:53 PM

OK, it's getting late and I'm about to turn in, but I may have struck gold. One of the contributors is someone I've definitely seen before, Barry Deutsch. If you see anything let me know, but I plan on going through his stuff myself later.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

sera234

Casual User

Posts: 51

#10 [url]

Mar 24 16 8:29 PM

DP wrote:
Some of these aren't bad and are actually interesting and informative. I don't know if we're in the business of reviewing select comics or not, but a lot of these are actually pretty alright.

The only sane comic around from this "site".

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Mar 24 16 8:38 PM

As someone that does deal with some minor OCD type issues with my ADD, I have no gripes with how the base mesage is presented. (I get it, it's not funny when people around you who don't lose sleep over something not being RIGHT can casually use 'I'm so OCD about BLANK'..ha ha.../joke even I don't laugh at.)

The message just GOES ON and ON and ON...and it's not even presented in a way that's approachable or built for ANYONE OUTSIDE the group it's talking about?

There are so many great comics that keep general messages about mental health short, sweet and universally enjoyable. Things like http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/ do such a GOOD JOB normalizing discussion about serious topics, in ways anyone can engague the lightly humor based narrative AND get some insight into how shitty mental health topics can be. More comics need to get that you can't just spew facts, give us a punchline that actually makes people give a second glance at the ISSUE as a non joke. I guess that's too hard for people sadly..
 

Quote    Reply   
avatar

plarblman

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,167

#12 [url]

Mar 25 16 9:48 AM

All right, I started going through Barry Deutsch's comics, and frankly he's like the second coming of David Willis. Just straw as far as the eye can see. To be perfectly honest, I actually want to avoid covering this guy since I don't think it's healthy for me to dwell on this pet peeve of mine, namely intellectual dishonesty, and I have no interest in slogging through another Shortpacked again. It takes far more effort to dispel stupid than it takes to spread it. Hell, I don't want to become angry and jaded enough to become a Bizarro-Willis, that's the last thing I want.

He also seems to be one of the more prolific comic creators for that site too, though. Two things I'd still like to point out though: One, he made a strip saying "hey, using neckbeard as an insult isn't cool guys." I don't disagree with the statement for many of the same reasons he makes, but at the same time it's kind of hilarious considering he looks like a fat neckbeard himself, and if there were comments I'd imagine he'd be getting tons of hate, probably along the lines of "OMFG if 'neckbeard' makes you uncomfortable you must be a misogynist! What a shitty ally you are #DrinkBleach." I've seen this happen many times. Two, this is the only strip of his I wholeheartedly agree with, and in fact I dare say I go one step further, since he makes the ironic implication that feminism has a lot in common with the evangelical right.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Sindy

Living Spambot

Posts: 833

#15 [url]

Mar 25 16 12:05 PM

sera234 wrote:

DP wrote:
Some of these aren't bad and are actually interesting and informative. I don't know if we're in the business of reviewing select comics or not, but a lot of these are actually pretty alright.

The only sane comic around from this "site".

Too bad it's making something simple and inconsequential into a fucking science.
Not to mention null outside America. I'm sitting here all "ok cool but in the rare case we don't call a Spanish person just Spanish, we call them Spaniards and they consider themselves caucasian." I fail to see why South Americans invented themselves this new exotic terms for their culture and and race in the US, but guess that's how US rolls. Everyone gotta be special.

The others are utter shit too. So preachy, high-horsed and pretentious, and making the tiniest of issues into this huge deal that's the end of the world. But it seems such is this generation. I say they're all bad. But I'm some backwards ape or something apparently.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

izzus

Heavy User

Posts: 294

#16 [url]

Mar 25 16 2:10 PM

Sindy wrote:

The others are utter shit too. So preachy, high-horsed and pretentious, and making the tiniest of issues into this huge deal that's the end of the world. But it seems such is this generation. I say they're all bad. But I'm some backwards ape or something apparently.

Nah that makes you normal.
Only people who have their head shoved so far up their ass, for so long that it's petrifacted their brain into shit, thus turning them into shitheads, actually care about tiny things like saying "I'm OCD about my food."

Quote    Reply   
avatar

plarblman

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,167

#17 [url]

Mar 25 16 2:59 PM

Sindy wrote:
I'm sitting here all "ok cool but in the rare case we don't call a Spanish person just Spanish, we call them Spaniards and they consider themselves caucasian." I fail to see why South Americans invented themselves this new exotic terms for their culture and and race in the US, but guess that's how US rolls. Everyone gotta be special.

 


Part of the confusion is that he leaves out ethnicity, which is what people generally mean when they say "Latino"/"Hispanic." People living in Latin America are, with some exceptions like Argentina, partially or completely nonwhite. Because of the high variation of racial mixing between Spanish/Portuguese settlers and natives, it's easier to just put them all under one umbrella term.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Long Tom

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,101

#18 [url]

Mar 26 16 1:22 AM

plarblman wrote:

Sindy wrote:
I'm sitting here all "ok cool but in the rare case we don't call a Spanish person just Spanish, we call them Spaniards and they consider themselves caucasian." I fail to see why South Americans invented themselves this new exotic terms for their culture and and race in the US, but guess that's how US rolls. Everyone gotta be special.

 


Part of the confusion is that he leaves out ethnicity, which is what people generally mean when they say "Latino"/"Hispanic." People living in Latin America are, with some exceptions like Argentina, partially or completely nonwhite. Because of the high variation of racial mixing between Spanish/Portuguese settlers and natives, it's easier to just put them all under one umbrella term.

Unfortunately in the USA we don't learn Latin American history.  I learned that in Brazil, there is plenty of racial mixing, and officially there are no racial problems.  In actuality?  Ha!  They simply have a complicated series of racial categories.  Look at India and it's "abolished" caste system!  Brazil isn't so extreme, but any country that doesn't have racial problems is only that way because of its lack of racial diversity.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Mar 27 16 12:28 PM

Oh man, Everyday Feminism. They think that gay marriage is heteronormative and you're a terrible person if you don't use trigger warnings, but you can't call them "trigger warnings" because that's violent imagery.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,962

#20 [url]

Mar 27 16 4:02 PM

Nomstuff wrote:
http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/10/ocd-isnt-cute/
I thought it was a satirical comic about people being oversensitive... but then it kept going... and "informing"...
.
Nomstuff wrote:
Not here to crtiticize the message, but the art. It's erm.. awful and leaves a lot to be desired.
The art is garbage and does nothing for the message in most of the comics. Also, why in the hell is it called Everyday Feminism when it's got a comic on censoring yourself from mentioning "OCD", learning someone's opinion on the difference between Latino and Hispanic (which I now am amazed to find I was able to care less about), and white privilege?

Why are half the articles on the main page about social justice bullshit, where asking for Likes is "Middle Class Entitlement"? I didn't realize middle class people were the only ones who networked; that's "invisiblizing" for all the poor people trying to use the internet to catch a break. Back to the comics, though. Who in the hell thought a comic where some idiot invented "neurotypical privilege" and "proved" it was real by saying it existed was a good idea? Someone probably should have told her to check her negative symptom privilege since she's "invisiblizing" positive symptom schizophrenics, but at that point taking her ludicrous point too seriously would probably result in an apology comic, and the last thing we need is to have twice as much stupidity on this subject. Oh, and liking someone's tattoos is harassment, PTSD not being just for soldiers anymore, trigger warnings aren't a complete joke (complete with strawman argument opposition), and other trash that isn't feminist.

Holy shit, the more of these comics I read the more I feel like my brain is dying. Every fucking comic has one of two three conclusions:
1) endlessly overcompensate for the feelings of others, especially in public, or you're a bad person
2) anything you say to/about women is probably wrong and you're a bad person
3) everyone should listen to everyone about everything because nothing is true or everything is true, even the contradictory things, as long as the speaker calls themselves a victim and isn't straight, white, and male

Edits in bold

Last Edited By: SmashLampjaw Mar 27 16 4:20 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help