Remove this ad

Quote    Reply   

plarblman

Living Spambot

#26 [url]

Apr 18 17 2:27 PM

AFAIK we've only had one actual vandal to deal with lately, the rest seems to be a single spambot creating accounts on multiple IPs. They still keep coming even after I block account creation on all the others.

Quote    Reply   

plarblman

Living Spambot

#27 [url]

May 5 17 9:45 AM

The spambots seem to still keep coming, but at least it's not dozens at a time anymore. I actually run another wiki, and I haven't had any spambot trouble there despite being the sole moderator. Then again, it doesn't really get much traffic at all, but still, BWW isn't a hotbed of traffic either, yet we seem to be targeted pretty frequently. Can't say how we can nip this problem in the bud other than just round-the-clock vigilance.

Quote    Reply   

#31 [url]

May 29 17 11:37 PM

One possible way to curtail spambots is to force a registration admin approval

Like, if someone wants to register an account on the wiki so they can edit things, that their application has to be approved by a moderator. It'll add a little wait to things, but that will discourage anyone who just wants to sign up to wreck shit, and if you get a dozen "Jim230852" accounts attempting to register in the same moment, all from the same IP address, then you can probably tell that its a spammer

Quote    Reply   

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#37 [url]

Jun 12 17 3:28 AM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
This is getting silly lately.

[left][url=

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply