Remove this ad

avatar

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,962

#41 [url]

May 1 16 2:19 PM

brandygang wrote:
your response comes off as more 'holier and mightier than thou'.
Projection? Oh that is adorable. Who do you think is going to believe most of your posts weren't holier than thou?
.
brandygang wrote:
I haven't insulted anyone directly, are you so unfamiliar with the internet that any you take anything passive-aggressive as an affront?
I point out you're indirectly insulting everyone and being passive-aggressive, and your response is to tell me you're not directly insulting anyone and being passive-aggressive. Brilliant correction there; it will definitely make me question my observations of your behavior to be told I'm right twice in the same sentence.
.
brandygang wrote:
"You are not recognized as an authority on anything on this site"
"goals which you have no authority to demand
"

Is laudable. Is an obvious appeal to authority fallacy
Oh good, another person who thinks he knows debate rules because he read about logical fallacies on the internet. You have presented yourself, not only as an expert on Homestuck, but as an authority on who is capable of reviewing it. My response was to call you out for invoking credentials not in evidence. Please do go look it up so you can pretend you always knew it.
.
brandygang wrote:
It's not even like Homestuck is some Deep Blue of webcomics, it's that there's too much material and the comic has too many fans that have been at this game for too long. I had my fun poking fun at this mess of a comic years ago on ED with some dumb, shallow article I wrote, that was how many years ago now? Which at it's low-level jab I imagine captures the depth and bredth a BWW critique would go, but less sardonically. In my imagination that is. The point is, it may seem convienent to jump on the Homestuck train now that it's ended, but you're the missing the train because it's already left. It's like someone chasing a late train on foot, and finally trying to give a critique of the countryside to the passangers when they all get out at the train's last stop.
I really wonder if you appreciate how tenuous your argument is when you claim that a site has overblown importance and narcissistic writers while simultaneously holding that a review would have no impact. So either we wouldn't listen to you because we hold ourselves to high (in which case your presence is pointless) or we can't accomplish anything on this site (in which case your presence is pointless). A site you've signed up 2 separate accounts for to argue about Homestuck on, no less. Do you realize, in all of your thesaurus-thumping arrogance, that your claim amounts to a transparent attempt by a fan to say anything to prevent a review or undermine its hostility, or that you've exposed your unwarranted self-importance by attacking us using what would hurt you?
.
brandygang wrote:
And your reply on Purpose was moronic. If you want to accomplish anything, you have to know why and whom for or you're not going to be successful. If I've demanded anything, it's only a suggestion to review the internets golden abortion-baby in such a way that has point to make or goal at all, rather then a review for the sake of a review. I've can and have done that before and so have others, do I atleast have the authority to question if this site is capable of better?
It really seems to have chafed you that I pointed out reviews on this site serve no higher purpose, given that calling me (and everyone else here) narcissistic doesn't work when I point out we don't produce things of importance. Yet you're too stupid to change up your act and keep pushing the "self-importance" angle. Are you devoid of the ability to improvise?
.
brandygang wrote:
Granted I don't know this site well. So sorry for holding you up to a higher standard, I guess?
You don't know this site well yet your initial post is a page and a half of assurances you know nobody on this site can handle a Homestuck review?
.
brandygang wrote:
Notice how everything I've stated has been hypothetical or rhetorical? Or phrased in a question? Have you even considered that maybe I really do want Homestuck to be reviewed, but not if that review is a boring dumb trainwreck? Like I've suggested, no directly stated every other post?
Yes, stating things in a non-committal manner gives you wiggle room when the idiotic notions you put forth get attacked, which is why you did it. As to whether or not I considered you do want Homestuck reviewed, my impression was your goals here were to 1) ideally prevent a review, barring that 2) be the driving force on a review, or barring that 3) undermine the punch of it.
.
brandygang wrote:
And that discounting my advice and assistance because of percieved 'fanboyism' or passive-aggressivism isn't pushing this along any faster?
I discounted your pathetic attempt to project yourself as an authority on Homestuck and insulted you for blindly, indirectly insulting everyone who's done a review here. Are you aware you're arguing on a preserved medium? The crap you're pulling now that sometimes works in a spoken argument, where you can deny the past, doesn't work on a forum where everything is retained in print rather than is drawn from memory.
.
brandygang wrote:
How about that my time-management skills allow for a convo to go quicker passively rather than when I'm insulting everyone and shouting frivilous Obscenities?
Refresh my memory: how many redundant paragraph-long metaphors have you written so far? Because that's indicative of poor time-management skills.
.
brandygang wrote:
Does this sound passive-aggressive enough yet?
My request was if you're going to insult people that you be direct. Trying to throw a request for additional passive-aggression in my face doesn't work when I asked for the opposite, you pompous idiot.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
avatar

Jerry

Casual User

Posts: 35

#42 [url]

May 2 16 6:22 PM

Oh dear, this got a bit off the hook. I'll make this quick; I won't get into the whole brandygang thing, but I'd like to ask if anyone's really willing to actually do the Homestuck review. We already know it's bad enough for a review, we just need someone to actually do it. I've seen plenty of people on this thread, (In fact, this whole site) that can put in their two cents on the story and really help simplify things to a readable format.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,962

#43 [url]

May 12 16 7:56 PM

If I wasn't gradually writing DoA's as slowly as possible, I'd offer to review Homestuck, assuming it gets approved. I've already read the whole thing and was following it for roughly a couple of years as a one-time fan turned sour. I say if, though because unless I miscounted I only saw 4 people say they were actually in favor of this being reviewed. Most people were caught up in the discussion of if it could be reviewed or what to do if it was approved. Maybe by the time it's approved I'll be available...

On that subject could we get the discussion back on whether or not to review the thing? Not whether or not it's possible or even practical, but just focus on if the damned thing deserves it. I'm weakly voting yes because it took a long time to hit its downfall, but the comic did massively degrade in planning quality and content from that point on. There are a lot of points where you can see social justice appeasing nonsense increasingly dumped into the story, retconning large swaths of the canon, along with things that used to be in-unvierse jokes being presented as real. There's also that storytelling thing plarblman posted that very accurately explained the massive failure of the final climax, falling action, and conclusion.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

M

Heavy User

Posts: 205

#44 [url]

May 13 16 9:23 PM

If I may, I'd like to oppose adding Homestuck to the BWW. I've been a long-time MSPA reader, and I'm quite the fan of Homestuck. Admittedly, the ending sucked (maybe the epilogue, whenever Andrew gets around to finishing it, will clear that up a bit), and a lot of the fans are obnoxious, but those are the only two glaring flaws I've really noticed about the comic, and for several years the comic was (and still is, to a lesser extent) quite fantastic.  Ergo, I don't think it warrants an entry. Just my personal two cents.If I may, I'd like to oppose adding Homestuck to the BWW. I've been a long-time MSPA reader, and I'm quite the fan of Homestuck. Admittedly, the ending sucked, and a lot of the fans are obnoxious, but those are the only two glaring flaws I've really noticed about the comic, and for several years the comic was (and still is, to a lesser extent) quite fantastic.  Ergo, I don't think it warrants an entry. Just my personal two cents.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Jerry

Casual User

Posts: 35

#45 [url]

May 15 16 11:47 AM

My vote is a simple yes.

If we have the resources and the right people, there's no reason not to. Obviously this won't be a very fast-made review, but I believe doing it is definitely worth the work put into the review of Homestuck. Especially since Homestuck is so long-running and known; it deserves some sort of full on review.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

izzus

Heavy User

Posts: 294

#46 [url]

May 15 16 1:54 PM

Eh. The thing I hated most about it is the bloat. That fucking bloat. It was like reading a picture book that tried to be a high art novel. And most of it was pointless. I skimmed half of the dialog and was still able to follow the story. Shit has more bloat than Windows 10.

A lot of the drama didn't hold my attention either. The last thing I cared about in the comic is teenage drama. Guess what most of the latter half of the comic was.

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

May 22 16 8:54 PM

Homestuck was a very creative comic, mediumways, it just took an unfortunate journey up its own ass.

If it were half as long (with most of the cuts coming from the first act and the much-maligned Act 6), it could've been great. As is, it's a mess of a comic with a lot of good parts that slowly backs up off a cliff.

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

May 24 16 6:02 PM

The biggest problem with it is the pacing and random shit that pops up constantly. You can call something as "deep" and "complex" as you like (for example, 2001: a Space Odyssey (the movie) was breath taking and had lots of symbolism, but you could comfortably cut the movie into about 45 minutes and not lose much), but if nothing happens for a good fifty minutes of reading, skipping the bloated chat logs, you have failed to make a well paced story.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Shan

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,964

#50 [url]

May 24 16 6:22 PM

Glitchrr36 wrote:
The biggest problem with it is the pacing and random shit that pops up constantly. You can call something as "deep" and "complex" as you like (for example, 2001: a Space Odyssey (the movie) was breath taking and had lots of symbolism, but you could comfortably cut the movie into about 45 minutes and not lose much), but if nothing happens for a good fifty minutes of reading, skipping the bloated chat logs, you have failed to make a well paced story.

Apropos of nothing, we used to live around the corner from Arthur C. Clarke's house. Just felt like sharing that.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
avatar

Long Tom

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,101

#51 [url]

May 24 16 8:22 PM

Glitchrr36 wrote:
The biggest problem with it is the pacing and random shit that pops up constantly. You can call something as "deep" and "complex" as you like (for example, 2001: a Space Odyssey (the movie) was breath taking and had lots of symbolism, but you could comfortably cut the movie into about 45 minutes and not lose much), but if nothing happens for a good fifty minutes of reading, skipping the bloated chat logs, you have failed to make a well paced story.

I got the impression when watching that movie is that the makers wanted to spend time showing off how wonderful their special effects were.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Shan

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,964

#52 [url]

May 24 16 8:40 PM

Long Tom wrote:

Glitchrr36 wrote:
The biggest problem with it is the pacing and random shit that pops up constantly. You can call something as "deep" and "complex" as you like (for example, 2001: a Space Odyssey (the movie) was breath taking and had lots of symbolism, but you could comfortably cut the movie into about 45 minutes and not lose much), but if nothing happens for a good fifty minutes of reading, skipping the bloated chat logs, you have failed to make a well paced story.

I got the impression when watching that movie is that the makers wanted to spend time showing off how wonderful their special effects were.

Well, it won an Academy Award for the effects, so I guess it paid off. 

The meticulous and painstakingly slow fashion they had to create the effects at this level in the pre-CGI era is a fascinating story in itself, same with movies like Tron where things like each individual cell had to be coloured by hand (I know CGI work now isn't as easy as flipping a switch either, though). 

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

May 24 16 9:23 PM

I did as well. But it just felt like scenes took longer than they should, which may be a Kubrick thing, which made things like the monkeys that could have been wrapped up in two or three minutes take fifteen or twenty.

 

Quote    Reply   
avatar

M

Heavy User

Posts: 205

#54 [url]

May 25 16 8:59 PM

I had the good fortune of reading the book before I tried watching the movie. I probably wouldn't have made it through the movie otherwise.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,962

#55 [url]

May 25 16 9:03 PM

Essay Mod wrote:
Homestuck was a very creative comic, mediumways, it just took an unfortunate journey up its own ass.

If it were half as long (with most of the cuts coming from the first act and the much-maligned Act 6), it could've been great. As is, it's a mess of a comic with a lot of good parts that slowly backs up off a cliff.
Are you saying it's bad enough to review, or that it should have been good but went astray and isn't bad enough to review?
.
M wrote:
Aw. I liked Act 1. I suppose my love of CYOA makes me rather impartial, though.
What about the rest of it? Also: do you have an opinion on if it merits review?

Quote    Reply   
avatar

M

Heavy User

Posts: 205

#56 [url]

May 25 16 9:40 PM

To SmashLampjaw:

Acts 1-4; Loved them.
Act 5; Disliked it at first, warmed up to it.
Act 6; Liked the first parts, but even my overall good opinion of the comic couldn't obscure the rushed parts. Given the real life issues that cropped up around this time, I can understand why things went wrong, but it was still pretty disappointing near the end.
Act 7; Disliked. My innate optimism is currently convincing me to wait until the Epilogue (whenever it comes) before passing a final judgement.


Overall, I do NOT think it merits a review. I really liked Homestuck overall, and I've been a long-time fan of MSPA, so no, I don't think it's a Bad Comic.

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Jun 25 16 9:37 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:

Essay Mod wrote:
Homestuck was a very creative comic, mediumways, it just took an unfortunate journey up its own ass.

If it were half as long (with most of the cuts coming from the first act and the much-maligned Act 6), it could've been great. As is, it's a mess of a comic with a lot of good parts that slowly backs up off a cliff.

Are you saying it's bad enough to review, or that it should have been good but went astray and isn't bad enough to review?
 

I think it deserves a place of honor in webcomics history for its contributions to the genre, and raising the production value bar. For spawning Prequel, if nothing else. Even if it's not a good webcomic, there's an argument to be made that it's a Great Webcomic, if that makes sense. Subjectively,I think the stretch from [S] Wake to [S] Cascade is really really good, and there's a lot of great moments in the first five acts that make the tedious parts bearable...(well, after Act 1). And then Act 6 happens and it turns into a weird cheap cash-grab paraody of itself full of pointless superfluous characters and becoming a rom-com with sci-fi elements instead of a sci-fi with rom-com elements. 

Even in Act 6, there are interesting ideas (While the "retcon" may by loss.jpg levels of Bad Idea, the actual execution of going back to old pages and having a new option was really neat and creative). But it stopped being weird and experimental, and it lost a lot of what made its bad pacing acceptable. I sometimes think Act 6 was supposed to be a few months long, like Hivebent was, but Hussie dragged it out for years to keep the merch money coming in.

Alternatively, the Kickstarter debacle could be blamed for the comic nosediving, as Hussie had to (allegedly) deal with the Odd Gentlemen stealing all their money and using it to make King's Quest, but Act 6 was dragging even at that point. 

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Jul 2 16 8:10 PM

Does anyone have a sandbox page up yet? If we all work in one sandbox this could go faster.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help