Nov 11 16 10:22 AM

I still never been to any cons. Im no nerd, just a sad nerd wannabe :(

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

JKushen

Casual User

#122 [url]

Nov 13 16 8:56 AM

I find this whole thread super amusing to be honest XP=14.0ptFirst off, I think what you are talking about is a wonderfully ambitious and necessary undertaking, and am understandably awed that some of you are willing to shoulder the burden. But I have a couple things I need to air after reading all this.=14.0pt1) If this is going to go anywhere, and I really want it to, can you all please, please, PLEASE think carefully about what you say and who might be reading it? Not that you should be holding back on ideas, but more than a page of the thread was about the definition of bestiality, and another about trolls having horns. I assure you, nothing will get done if everyone is blurting out things that sound rather extremist and provoking others to create a never-ending cycle of butthurtedness (that word. is a word now. because I said so.). So tread carefully I guess?=14.0pt2) For going about such a complex thing- I'm not even sure if this is possible on this site's format, but I would suggest the following: Create a board with various threads on the different aspects people want to discuss (Ex. character development, art style, story arc), and let them roam free. Then, with help, gather a synopsis of what was expressed on each board so you have everyone's opinions. Some parts of this thread have worked like that, and it actually sounded like AN ADULT CONVERSATION ABOUT REAL LIFE THINGS. That's a good thing.=14.0pt3) In terms of the format of the actual review, I would approach it in an essay-like manner. Have an introduction, that warns people of what's to come, expresses the goal of the review, explains the viewpoint it is coming from, and ends with a clear thesis statement to develop going further. "Body paragraphs" would address each subject individually, using the paragraphs gleaned from 2). End with a conclusion to ensure that people won't be able to get righteously furious about it right off the bat, and explain the overall view of the webcomic. =14.0pt

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#123 [url]

Nov 13 16 1:17 PM

JKushen wrote:
please, please, PLEASE think carefully about what you say and who might be reading it?
sounded like AN ADULT CONVERSATION ABOUT REAL LIFE THINGS. That's a good thing.
End with a conclusion to ensure that people won't be able to get righteously furious about it right off the bat, and explain the overall view of the webcomic.
I'll bite. Why should we make sure the review doesn't trigger people?

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Quote    Reply   

#124 [url]

Nov 13 16 1:20 PM

I think he is trying to tell us that we should treat this review VERY seriously... I dunno, I mean, will all the seriousness in the world change anything? Homestuck will still be as popular as ever, no matter how good or accurate or detailed or etc our review is...

JKushen wrote:
Some parts of this thread have worked like that, and it actually sounded like AN ADULT CONVERSATION ABOUT REAL LIFE THINGS.

OH you patronizing little... Because I bet YOU only join FREE ONLINE COMMUNITIES to talk about VERY IMPORTANT ADULT STUFF. That's why you are HERE telling US how to review a WEBCOMIC about HORNED ALIENS only TWEENS care about.

Last Edited By: UglyHyena Nov 13 16 1:28 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Sindy

Living Spambot

#125 [url]

Nov 13 16 2:19 PM

For going about such a complex thing- I'm not even sure if this is possible on this site's format, but I would suggest the following: Create a board with various threads on the different aspects people want to discuss (Ex. character development, art style, story arc), and let them roam free. Then, with help, gather a synopsis of what was expressed on each board so you have everyone's opinions.

Sorry, love, Homestuck ain't that fucking important to create different threads or subforums for.
But thanks for playing.

Quote    Reply   

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

#126 [url]

Nov 13 16 2:28 PM

I understand for normal reviews why you do not want multiple authors, but why not make Homestuck the exception? The thing is already a schizophrenic mess anyway with scheduling and tone, so why not let multiple authors focus on different parts of the story, and put all of those review parts together? Yeah, it will lack consitency, but thats kind of the point, as it would reflect the inconsistency of Homestuck.

Quote    Reply   

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

#128 [url]

Nov 13 16 2:36 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
I really don't understand why so many people have shown up insisting we take reviewing Homestuck seriously. If the Wiki was about taking things seriously it wouldn't exist.

What, you mean like writing a review that is not funny? Becuase Homestuck is so groundbreaking that treating it like a joke would be an insult to Homestuck?

Homestuck isnt Rembrandt or Dostoyevsky, its a fan fic gone wild.

Quote    Reply   

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

#130 [url]

Nov 13 16 2:52 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
Fan fiction? I'll admit, it's a pretty obvious homage to Earthbound (A.K.A. Mother 2) crossed with an homage to old text-based adventure games, but I don't know of a fan fiction angle.

Sorry, just meant its not something you would read while wearing a monocle, sipping down Dom Perignon.

Honestly, I have nothing against Homestuck. At least it tried something different. It mostly failed, but it tried.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#131 [url]

Nov 13 16 3:27 PM

Next time I read Dostoievski, I shall remember my monocle.

First I need to find a Dostoievski book... why did we have to leave all our books in the old house :c

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#132 [url]

Nov 13 16 8:17 PM

ohitsyou wrote:
I understand for normal reviews why you do not want multiple authors, but why not make Homestuck the exception? The thing is already a schizophrenic mess anyway with scheduling and tone, so why not let multiple authors focus on different parts of the story, and put all of those review parts together? Yeah, it will lack consitency, but thats kind of the point, as it would reflect the inconsistency of Homestuck.

We had this very same discussion earlier in this thread but it kind of petered out. I seem to remember there was some resistance to that idea, though precisely due to inconsistency and coordination or something like that.

Quote    Reply   

Jerry

Casual User

#133 [url]

Dec 28 16 11:42 AM

Well, since this thread hasn't been doing anything for a little while, I'd like to reopen discussion so we can get a solid vote on whether to review, or not to review. Only then can we find a proper way to set up a good way to format (One person, small group, etc) this definite behemoth of a review.

And just so we have a refresher, here's some of the ideas brought up in the previous pages:

1. What shall we do with fandom backlash? There's a definite chance of BWW getting a lot more attention than it is now.
2. Is it even a webcomic? The 'pages' of flash animation, albums of music, spinoffs, etc can be pretty misleading. What parts should we cover?

All the other ones I've totally forgotten :\
I vote yes to a review, by the way. Discuss, comrades!

Quote    Reply   

#134 [url]

Dec 28 16 12:18 PM

I'll keep neutral. I have never read Homestuck myself and I am not sure how the attention the review might get (if it actually gets any) will affect the Wiki and the Forums. I can go either way.

Also blame Undertale, but every time I see your username my first thought is "ugh, ditch Jerry"

Quote    Reply   

#135 [url]

Dec 28 16 12:31 PM

Jerry wrote:
Well, since this thread hasn't been doing anything for a little while, I'd like to reopen discussion so we can get a solid vote on whether to review, or not to review. Only then can we find a proper way to set up a good way to format (One person, small group, etc) this definite behemoth of a review.

I really think that only one person should review this webcomic. Having multiple people in the review won't move it along any faster, as the reviewers would have to communicate with eachother to keep a consistancy, and thus only one person is really writing the review.
1. What shall we do with fandom backlash? There's a definite chance of BWW getting a lot more attention than it is now.

Does anyone really care? As long as they don't DDoS the forum I don't think any harm will be done. I personally will just laugh at them as I usually do.
2. Is it even a webcomic? The 'pages' of flash animation, albums of music, spinoffs, etc can be pretty misleading. What parts should we cover?

It is a webcomic, infinite canvas nonwithstanding.

I would also like to throw out that I currently have homestuck open at the moment and taking notes for a video review. Now that this thread is active again, I would like to instead do a BWW review to test the waters and see what reviewing it is like, to see if it is even worth it.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#136 [url]

Dec 28 16 3:54 PM

I would recommend always be working on a second review in parallel with investigating this one as it's a lot of stuff to potentially look at and there's always the chance you might find it's too good to qualify - ergo all that time for no review.

Quote    Reply   

#137 [url]

Dec 28 16 4:09 PM

Shan wrote:
I would recommend always be working on a second review in parallel with investigating this one as it's a lot of stuff to potentially look at

If you are talking to me, I of course will be working on other projects on this site, as well as off while reviewing this comic.
there's always the chance you might find it's too good to qualify - ergo all that time for no review.

I just finished notes for Act 1 and I found at least three plot holes. I don't know if this is BWW worthy, but this is a bad webcomic.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#138 [url]

Dec 28 16 4:19 PM

Anything's BWW worthy provided you make a convincing enough argument in your review.

Except The Adventures of Dr McNinja. That would just be crazy talk.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#139 [url]

Dec 28 16 10:46 PM

Every time someone asks where people stand on Homestuck, we get derailed by people not even saying if they thing the thing qualifies for a review.

Does this qualify for review or not? If you can't start your post with "yes" or "no" to this single, straightforward question, please stay out of the way of people making an argument for reviewing / not reviewing Homestuck.

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Quote    Reply   

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

#140 [url]

Dec 28 16 11:37 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
Every time someone asks where people stand on Homestuck, we get derailed by people not even saying if they thing the thing qualifies for a review.

Does this qualify for review or not? If you can't start your post with "yes" or "no" to this single, straightforward question, please stay out of the way of people making an argument for reviewing / not reviewing Homestuck.

I know I'm not an admin, but I would say yes to the Homestuck review. 

Is it the worse webcomic? No, not by a long shot, but its still a bad webcomic. Even though it tried something different, and that is commendable, and ignoring the fanbase, its still a clusterfuck of a webcomic that is overwrought and pretentious. 

It also seems that Lt Art Major is taken notes on part 1, and wants to do this review solo, so that the review is not schizophrenic in tone. I'd say let him do a write-up for part 1, and see if it sounds good. 

Like I said, I know I'm not an admin, but just becuase Homestuck is complicated dosent make it good.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help