Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Oct 17 16 5:01 PM

Uhh... I dunno... It kinda feels I could do the same if I grabbed the phone directory and started drawing what I thought each person listed there looked like, in comic form. It'd make for a pretty interesting art project, but would it make a good comic? Then again, I dunno. What makes a good political comic in your opinion?

Then again, her parodies of DoA and QC are great.

Not sure why you're talking about reviewing her though.

Sorry I misread. I kinda sorta panicked, heh.... I like Pleb and respect her a bunch, despite maybe not really thinking her comic is too good, so when I thought the talk was gonna shift towards reviewing her or not, I kinda rushed without thinking. Sorry.

Last Edited By: UglyHyena Oct 20 16 3:53 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
avatar

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,969

#22 [url]

Oct 17 16 7:55 PM

UglyHyena wrote:
Uhh... I dunno... It kinda feels I could do the same if I grabbed the phone directory and started drawing what I thought each person listed there looked like, in comic form. It'd make for a pretty interesting art project, but would it make a good comic? Then again, I dunno. What makes a good political comic in your opinion?
I'm pretty reluctant about reviews of political comics. All of them suck to somebody, and most of them suck to everybody. They have to be really, really irritating or insane.

Ever read The Probability Broach? I actually agree with 75% of the political philosophy behind it but I'm reviewing it over the execution. (I'd have been done if not for a bit of an extended work emergency.) If you don't know what it is, go give it a read. It seems mostly sane for 4 chapters. Then chapter 5 happens and you realize it's just going to get crazier and preachier. It's a good baseline for bad political comics that are crazy rather than obnoxious (e.g. Dumbing of Age)

Last Edited By: SmashLampjaw Oct 17 16 8:19 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Sindy

Living Spambot

Posts: 833

#23 [url]

Oct 18 16 4:23 AM

While I agree that holy FUCK did it go to the shitter since my previous comment, idk how poor Hyena got to the conclusion it should be reviewed.




But fuck, the latest ones are so unfunny it's painful.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

Posts: 501

#24 [url]

Oct 18 16 6:38 AM

Yeah, I was kind to this comic for a while...until I started to realize all it does is attack SJW. Yeah, SJW are terrible, but they are also obvious and shallow, so there is only so many times you can say "can you believe this shit" before it gets old. I mean, its not always bad, the parody comics are spot on, and she can make a point with her comics.

However, I do take issue with some of her beliefs. Or rather, the beliefs that she and the SJW seem to agree on; gender.

There is one comic where the strawman feminist is arguing to the tran character that he will never be a real women, as he does not have a uterus and various other female traits. What does the tran character do? Flips off the feminist of course! Yeah, thats not a counterargument. You are not sticking it to the feminist by getting mad, youre just acting like a petulant child who is not getting their way. In short, the strawman looked like the winner for presenting the argument, while the tran character just acted on emotions.

Another comic uttered the line "no one chooses who they fall in love with." That is....fucking dangerous. First off, yeah, we do choose who we fall in love with. Growing up, you have to learn how to talk to people, socialize, how to date, what your likes and dislikes are, etc. This shit does not come naturally, its a process that takes years to figure out what are likes and dislikes are. So no, you do choose who you fall in love with, becuase you had to learn about what you like and dislike. Also, do you know how easy it is to abuse that line of logic?

" Stacy does not like me, so I'm just going to ruffie her!"

"What? Thats fucking gross!"

"Yeah, but I didnt choose to fall in love with her, even if she dosent love me."

"Oh, good point. Oh, she prefers sprite over 7-up!"

There are other Plebcomics I would like to talk about, but I have to get back to work.

 

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Sindy

Living Spambot

Posts: 833

#25 [url]

Oct 18 16 7:40 AM

Another comic uttered the line "no one chooses who they fall in love with." That is....fucking dangerous. First off, yeah, we do choose who we fall in love with. Growing up, you have to learn how to talk to people, socialize, how to date, what your likes and dislikes are, etc. This shit does not come naturally, its a process that takes years to figure out what are likes and dislikes are. So no, you do choose who you fall in love with, becuase you had to learn about what you like and dislike.


That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

Love isn't related to sex necessarily, nor a long term relationship. You can platonically love someone, you can fall madly in love at first sight (or chat) with someone, and you can still love the ex that walked out on you.
What you're talking about is either compatibility or commitment. Deeeeeeefinitely not love.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Shan

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,974

#26 [url]

Oct 18 16 10:06 AM

SmashLampjaw wrote:

UglyHyena wrote:
Uhh... I dunno... It kinda feels I could do the same if I grabbed the phone directory and started drawing what I thought each person listed there looked like, in comic form. It'd make for a pretty interesting art project, but would it make a good comic? Then again, I dunno. What makes a good political comic in your opinion?

I'm pretty reluctant about reviews of political comics. All of them suck to somebody, and most of them suck to everybody. They have to be really, really irritating or insane.

Ever read The Probability Broach? I actually agree with 75% of the political philosophy behind it but I'm reviewing it over the execution. (I'd have been done if not for a bit of an extended work emergency.) If you don't know what it is, go give it a read. It seems mostly sane for 4 chapters. Then chapter 5 happens and you realize it's just going to get crazier and preachier. It's a good baseline for bad political comics that are crazy rather than obnoxious (e.g. Dumbing of Age)

Don't know how this ended up over there:

http://badwebcomicswikiforum.yuku.com/sreply/15467/Politics

It was probably just me screwing up the posting. Let's try that again.

"I think at last count from what I read, I agree with somewhere between 0 and minus 10 percent of The Probability Broach. It's probably just one of the reasons we should just stick to talking about webcomics between each other, if even that. However, I haven't forgotten that I owe you an answer on that thread and I will get to it (and the other outstanding ones) when I have time."

Quote    Reply   
avatar

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

Posts: 501

#27 [url]

Oct 18 16 10:19 AM

Sindy wrote:

Another comic uttered the line "no one chooses who they fall in love with." That is....fucking dangerous. First off, yeah, we do choose who we fall in love with. Growing up, you have to learn how to talk to people, socialize, how to date, what your likes and dislikes are, etc. This shit does not come naturally, its a process that takes years to figure out what are likes and dislikes are. So no, you do choose who you fall in love with, becuase you had to learn about what you like and dislike.


That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

Love isn't related to sex necessarily, nor a long term relationship. You can platonically love someone, you can fall madly in love at first sight (or chat) with someone, and you can still love the ex that walked out on you.
What you're talking about is either compatibility or commitment. Deeeeeeefinitely not love.

Actually, it is a form of love, if one chooses. Hey, I'm not saying its sick, but you can love to ruffie someone. Love is subjective, and that changes between person to person. And if a person throws the excuse that. "Well, you said no one chooses who they love" then they can do a lot with that vague statement, can't they? Thats why it seems dangerous to me.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

Posts: 501

#28 [url]

Oct 18 16 10:21 AM

ohitsyou wrote:

Sindy wrote:

Another comic uttered the line "no one chooses who they fall in love with." That is....fucking dangerous. First off, yeah, we do choose who we fall in love with. Growing up, you have to learn how to talk to people, socialize, how to date, what your likes and dislikes are, etc. This shit does not come naturally, its a process that takes years to figure out what are likes and dislikes are. So no, you do choose who you fall in love with, becuase you had to learn about what you like and dislike.


That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

Love isn't related to sex necessarily, nor a long term relationship. You can platonically love someone, you can fall madly in love at first sight (or chat) with someone, and you can still love the ex that walked out on you.
What you're talking about is either compatibility or commitment. Deeeeeeefinitely not love.

Actually, it is a form of love, if one chooses. Hey, I'm not saying its sick, but you can love to ruffie someone. Love is subjective, and that changes between person to person. And if a person throws the excuse that. "Well, you said no one chooses who they love" then they can do a lot with that vague statement, can't they? Thats why it seems dangerous to me.

dammit, I meant to say "Hey, I'm not saying its not sick" but I cant edit or delete this post.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Oct 18 16 10:49 AM

Well, although this is in the "Not Bad Webcomics", I have to admit it wouldn't be good for a review anyway because the author admitted its just a series of doodles, and unlike strawman political comics, they really are based after some insane Tumblr logic.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

oddguy

Living Spambot

Posts: 631

#30 [url]

Oct 18 16 12:08 PM

UglyHyena wrote:
(Nnnot trying to be nitpicky, but Pleb is a lady...)

But yeah, I agree, what she is saying is mostly true, but her comic is not funny. The question, however, is: should we review it ASAP or should we wait until all this SJW fad has died down? I mean, if anything, because she has it already pretty bad. She started this comic bc she got fired of her job when a bunch of SJW harassed her boss telephonically, if I recall correctly. A job she liked. So I think reviewing it right now would be kinda a punch in the gut. I propose we wait a couple of years.

That is actually innacurate. She had the comic long before shelost her job, then people got her fired when she got involved in gamergate (don't know if it was actually SJWs or trolls fucking around, I always suspect trolls when a person's identity isn't readily available because SJW's don't actually know how to dox), quit the comic for a while and came back.

As for a review, I don't know if it's worth doing byond for the sake of reminding our readers, yet again, not to like back comics just because they agree with what is said in them.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
avatar

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

Posts: 501

#31 [url]

Oct 18 16 4:04 PM

Actually I think this webcomic is worthy of a review. Yeah, they are sketches, but they are not sketches purely by themselves; these sketches are used to argue for a specific political argument, mainly those against SJW and others who think like them. It hits, but now there are so many times when you beat the ugly SJW stick over your head where youre like "I get it."

Also, there are problems in how it presents information in this comic. 

1. Whenever gender related issues are brought up, she makes an emotional argument, not a logical one.

2. Some of the things she believes could actually do more damage in the long run, as she lacks thinking in long term consequences.

So yeah, I think this comic is good for a review on this site. Heck, I wouldnt mind if I did it!

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Oct 18 16 8:55 PM

American Dork wrote:
Well, although this is in the "Not Bad Webcomics", I have to admit it wouldn't be good for a review anyway because the author admitted its just a series of doodles, and unlike strawman political comics, they really are based after some insane Tumblr logic.

true

and whether or not you like what Pleb is making fun of - then the fact that 99% of the dialogue and actions in her comics are ripped straight from tumblr convos... then its really hard to say "No, this is just misrepresenting and is taking things out of context" - because we get the context and source served straight up

if anything its actually a big plus compared to most political cartoons where the norm seems to be to exagerate and take the actions of your political enemies out of context as much as possible - to paint them as worse than that they really are

Pleb doesn't have to exagerate...

Quote    Reply   
avatar

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

Posts: 501

#33 [url]

Oct 19 16 6:12 AM

webkilla wrote:

American Dork wrote:
Well, although this is in the "Not Bad Webcomics", I have to admit it wouldn't be good for a review anyway because the author admitted its just a series of doodles, and unlike strawman political comics, they really are based after some insane Tumblr logic.

true

and whether or not you like what Pleb is making fun of - then the fact that 99% of the dialogue and actions in her comics are ripped straight from tumblr convos... then its really hard to say "No, this is just misrepresenting and is taking things out of context" - because we get the context and source served straight up

if anything its actually a big plus compared to most political cartoons where the norm seems to be to exagerate and take the actions of your political enemies out of context as much as possible - to paint them as worse than that they really are

Pleb doesn't have to exagerate...

Yeah, she dosent have to exagerate...becuase they are such easy targets. Its like shooting air in an empty barrel, its not that hard to make fun of a group of people that say outrageuous things. Its like going after the KKK, NAMBLA or the BLM movement; there all extemes, so its easy to make fun of people who take themselves to seriously. Whats more, she goes after relatively normal people. Yeah, she sometimes goes after Aninta Sarkeesian, but most of her targets are tumblr jackoffs who are more than likely saying extreme things for attention or their quick 15 minutes of fame.

Don't get me wrong, Pleb does have a point with some of her comics, but there is only so many times you can point at something and say "can you believe they said that!" before it gets stale. Its mostley words that she is talking about, not action.

What I do find interesting about Plebcomic, and why I think she is a canditate for the bad webcomics wiki, is that with issues of gender she stops thinking objectively and just goes for the subjective; she never makes a point in those comics, and instead focuses on just the emotions. Like when a mentioned the flipping off feminist comic. The strawman seemed right becuase she made a point, while the tran character just flipped off the strawman feminist instead of providing a rebuttal. It implies that the feminist is right. Yeah, a dick, but still right.

So yeah, I think this would be a good canditate for the bad webcomics, and like I said, I wouldnt mind doing the review!

Quote    Reply   
avatar

plarblman

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,171

#35 [url]

Oct 19 16 7:38 AM

ohitsyou wrote:

Another comic uttered the line "no one chooses who they fall in love with." That is....fucking dangerous. First off, yeah, we do choose who we fall in love with. Growing up, you have to learn how to talk to people, socialize, how to date, what your likes and dislikes are, etc. This shit does not come naturally, its a process that takes years to figure out what are likes and dislikes are. So no, you do choose who you fall in love with, becuase you had to learn about what you like and dislike. Also, do you know how easy it is to abuse that line of logic?

" Stacy does not like me, so I'm just going to ruffie her!"

"What? Thats fucking gross!"

"Yeah, but I didnt choose to fall in love with her, even if she dosent love me."

"Oh, good point. Oh, she prefers sprite over 7-up!"
 

This line of thinking is completely bogus and has no bearing in reality. "No one chooses who they fall in love with" is a commonplace phrase with a commonly understood meaning. That meaning is, you can't control who you develop feelings for. You can control your actions, but not your feelings. And people have tried. To give one example, some gay people would rather not be gay but can't simply turn it off like a lightswitch. Or a person who gets rejected by their romantic interest can't simply turn off those feelings, which is why rejection is oftentimes painful.

The example you gave is a complete nonsequitor that has nothing to do with what she said.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

sera234

Casual User

Posts: 51

#36 [url]

Oct 19 16 8:28 AM

i know everyone is exicited to do it, but i don't think plebcomic deserve a webcomic review right now. it deserve critisism on the forum but not on the official site. It's not "so bad it's horrible" like check on other webcomics years ago.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

Posts: 501

#37 [url]

Oct 19 16 9:39 AM

plarblman wrote:

ohitsyou wrote:

Another comic uttered the line "no one chooses who they fall in love with." That is....fucking dangerous. First off, yeah, we do choose who we fall in love with. Growing up, you have to learn how to talk to people, socialize, how to date, what your likes and dislikes are, etc. This shit does not come naturally, its a process that takes years to figure out what are likes and dislikes are. So no, you do choose who you fall in love with, becuase you had to learn about what you like and dislike. Also, do you know how easy it is to abuse that line of logic?

" Stacy does not like me, so I'm just going to ruffie her!"

"What? Thats fucking gross!"

"Yeah, but I didnt choose to fall in love with her, even if she dosent love me."

"Oh, good point. Oh, she prefers sprite over 7-up!"

 

This line of thinking is completely bogus and has no bearing in reality. "No one chooses who they fall in love with" is a commonplace phrase with a commonly understood meaning. That meaning is, you can't control who you develop feelings for. You can control your actions, but not your feelings. And people have tried. To give one example, some gay people would rather not be gay but can't simply turn it off like a lightswitch. Or a person who gets rejected by their romantic interest can't simply turn off those feelings, which is why rejection is oftentimes painful.

The example you gave is a complete nonsequitor that has nothing to do with what she said.

Actually, you can, if you want to. I'm not saying someones an abomination for loving someone, but love does take concientious choices. You can choose to be gay, becuase being gay is an interest. We can choose what we want to eat, where to live, but we dont choose who we fall in love with? What makes sex so much different with examples of food and place preferences? Its something you prefer. Also, why the fuck would my genes care about abstract ideas like interests? I can see myself switching sides. I'm not saying that out of bravado, I'm saying that becuase, I dont know, I could get bored and want to try something new.

I'm not looking down on gay people. I support gay rights and all that jazz, but to just go "I didnt choose this lifestyle!" suggest something negative about the lifestyle. Just let people be people, and as long as they are not taking advantage of someone, let people decide who they want to have sex with.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Oct 19 16 10:22 AM

While I agree with your reasoning that everybody should be let to their own devices as long as they are not hurting anybody, I strongly disagree with sexuality and attraction being a choice... if it was, then I would be able to get rid of my penchant for getting crushes. It'd make my life so much easy.

Not to mention, what about say, gay kids in hyperconservative homes around the world? Are they gay out of an act of teenage rebellion? Is getting killed in some countries the newest fad? Like, if it was something they could prevent or change, why aren't they doing it and saving themselves the trouble?

If sexuality is a choice, then is being a furry on the same level than being gay or bi? Do I have to come out to my family as an anthropomorphic hyena?

(The answer is no because I am not a hyena, "furry" is just a fandom I choose to be part of and that would be stupid)

Quote    Reply   
avatar

plarblman

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,171

#39 [url]

Oct 19 16 10:59 AM

You're still not getting it. "No one chooses who they fall in love with" is not a statement about sex. It is a statement about feelings. It should have been blatantly obvious from the beginning. In fact, the exact wording used is "You can't help who you are attracted to," which should have made this clear. The only person associating this statement in the specific context of sex is you.

Of course people are responsible for their own actions. That's not the point. That's not the context that the phrase is used in common parlance, and it's certainly not the context used in this comic. . Feeling something and acting on those feelings are two completely separate issues, and the phrase is only talking about the first.

At this point I don't really care about Pleb's comic itself, so much as I'm annoyed by willfully misinterpreting words that are used in everyday conversation to mean something entirely different.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Oct 19 16 11:06 AM

It's ok, it's ok, I believe it is just a honest mistake. Like, even if it is not, he's allowed to interpret them as he wishes... like he said, as long as he is not hurting anyone, he is allowed to do what he wants. But yeah, like you said, it is one thing to fall in love, other thing to have sex, and other thing to be in a relationship with someone. Like, I can't choose who I get a crush on, but I can choose not to act on it and pursue a relationship with the person. It's gonna hurt a lot (it does indeed) but it is possible.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help