Remove this ad

avatar

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

Posts: 501

#81 [url]

Oct 24 16 5:36 PM

BigBurkhart wrote:
One, you are not required to accept another person's reality. In fact, in the terms you put, reality is completely subjective, and therefore not worth accepting anyway.

Two, indignation in not an inappropriate response when someone walks up and insults you to your face.

Three, acting like a jerk does not make them wrong, but it doesn't play in their favor. Especially when their entire point is nothing but an assault on your character.

Four, what's it matter? The snide bitch is going to talk shit about that girl anyway, and there's no convincing someone like that that they are wrong. Instead of going through the fruitless endeavor of trying to get her to change her viewpoint it is much better for the girl's sanity to just tell the lady to fuck off.

Five, what part of "venting anger in comic form" did you not understand?



This would be fine behavior if this was childhood. This is not. This is adulthood, and trying to justify throwing a tantrum does not make you look like an adult. It looks like you need a time out. I'm not saying I'm a saint, but the fact is that society expects a certain pretense when you reach a certain age.

"Venting anger in comic form" is fine, but this is a political comic. You should at least explain yourself with facts why your oppostion is wrong. Otherwise, your're no better then Dave Willis. At least his comics are not technically political comics. But plebs is.

Youre missing the trees in the woods. I would be fine if this comic offered a response to the trans person as he explains to himself why the feminist is wrong and then flipped her off, then I wouldnt bother pointing out this comic becuase it explains itself. But it dosent. Its just: 
"Hey I made a snide response. Care for a rebuttal?"
"Fuck You!"
"Well, that makes you look sane."

As I said, my problem isnt becuase I agree or disagree with her claims. Its that her presentations leaves more to be desired.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
avatar

BigBurkhart

Regular User

Posts: 132

#82 [url]

Oct 24 16 8:08 PM

Flipping someone off who just blatantly insulted you without saying a word is not a tantrum. You are completely making this out to be something it's not, and it's more than a little dishonest.

Last Edited By: BigBurkhart Oct 24 16 8:45 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

Posts: 501

#83 [url]

Oct 25 16 5:52 AM

BigBurkhart wrote:
Flipping someone off who just blatantly insulted you without saying a word is not a tantrum. You are completely making this out to be something it's not, and it's more than a little dishonest.

She was rude, but she was explaining that she dosent view the trans person as "not a female." Her definition of female might be a strict one, ovaries, womb, has a period, but that is her view on what makes a female a female. Basically, she views the tranny as someone who is fetishing drag. I'm not saying she's right, but that is the claim she made, and flipping someone off is not the best response to the situation.

I mean, could use this Plebs argument as evidence that she is right? There is no research or logic in the trans person response, so the rude feminist comes off as right, and the tranny comes off as someone who is aware that she is wrong, but dosent want to admit it. I'll admit that this is my interpertation, but can you blame me? The trans person brings NOTHING to the table to the argument, in a political cartoon.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,969

#84 [url]

Oct 25 16 7:10 AM

ohitsyou wrote:
Its not a debate, I get that. The problem is that this comic is not helping her cause, just hurting it. It makes it seem like her side cant accept reality, and instead reacts with indignation rather then rational when confromted by someon else's claim. It does not make her side look good.
ohitsyou wrote:
I'll admit that this is my interpertation, but can you blame me? The trans person brings NOTHING to the table to the argument, in a political cartoon.
ohitsyou wrote:
"Venting anger in comic form" is fine, but this is a political comic. You should at least explain yourself with facts why your oppostion is wrong.
What convinced you Pleb is making a political comic with the goal of swaying people to her point of view?

The description of her comic, from her tumblr, is:
PLEBCOMICS
some faggot who draws comics or whatever iunno
DISCLAIMER: the stupid shit you see depicted in the comics is not indicative of the artists beliefs in any way, shape, or form. i just draw pictures to dumb shit tumblr says, THAT IS ALL"


Please note the part I've underlined. Have you considered the possibility you've inferred far more meaning from her tumblr than is there and are, consequently, treating the subject matter more seriously than you should?

Last Edited By: SmashLampjaw Oct 25 16 7:32 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Shan

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,974

#85 [url]

Oct 25 16 8:25 AM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
I'm at a loss as you why I keep seeing references to who will do the review as if that's decided, when there's been virtually no discussion of that. This thread isn't even in the "Is This Comic Bad?" subtopic, which I am pretty sure I mentioned when I asked the first person talking about who should do the review where they got it in their head we were about to do one.

What really confuses the hell out of me, though, is why Pleb keeps getting accused of making strawmen. I've never seen her make a comic where she didn't link to the source conversation her comics were based on. Did any of you bother to confirm she wasn't depicting stupid asshats accurately? Because it's not a strawman if it's an accurate portrayal of something a real person said/did.

Is this something that qualifies for a review in the same way as Long Tom's Not Bad counter examples? In other words, at first glance it may look like a strawman factory because ... but in fact ...

If that is true, maybe it would also be useful as an example of illustrating when something is and isn't a strawman and what to look for. 

I haven't looked at this myself but just throwing that out there as a possibility if it's valid in this case.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

Posts: 501

#86 [url]

Oct 25 16 4:06 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:

ohitsyou wrote:
Its not a debate, I get that. The problem is that this comic is not helping her cause, just hurting it. It makes it seem like her side cant accept reality, and instead reacts with indignation rather then rational when confromted by someon else's claim. It does not make her side look good.

ohitsyou wrote:
I'll admit that this is my interpertation, but can you blame me? The trans person brings NOTHING to the table to the argument, in a political cartoon.

ohitsyou wrote:
"Venting anger in comic form" is fine, but this is a political comic. You should at least explain yourself with facts why your oppostion is wrong.

What convinced you Pleb is making a political comic with the goal of swaying people to her point of view?

The description of her comic, from her tumblr, is:
PLEBCOMICS
some faggot who draws comics or whatever iunno
DISCLAIMER: the stupid shit you see depicted in the comics is not indicative of the artists beliefs in any way, shape, or form. i just draw pictures to dumb shit tumblr says, THAT IS ALL"


Please note the part I've underlined. Have you considered the possibility you've inferred far more meaning from her tumblr than is there and are, consequently, treating the subject matter more seriously than you should?

I dont believe so, as there is a pattern to whom she attacks; SJW's and their beliefs. This is not some overly wacky surreal comic, this is a comic that is focused on making fun of and being critical of SJW's and their ilk. Yeah, it uses exaggerated facial expressions, but this comic is mostly grounded in reality in the point it is trying to make. For the most part, it does a good job, as Pleb comes off as logical in her responses. The problem is that when certain issues arise, specifically gender issues, she never seems to make a salient point.

Here is an example of what I feel is a good comic: 
http://plebcomics.tumblr.com/post/146286105793/been-sitting-on-this-comic-for-a-bit-now-since-i

See? Its a comic that explains why the tumblrite in the comic is wrong, giving her opinion, and Pleb refuting her claims, by explaining to let the police handle abuse cases, and that it is easy to lie about your abuse if it gets you money and female. Kudos to Pleb making a good comic.



Ive used this comic before, but here is an example of a bad Pleb Comic:
http://plebcomics.tumblr.com/post/140777869818/im-being-a-lot-nicer-with-this-depiction-of-events

This is an accurate depiction of events of what happened when Lauren Southner argued with SJW about gender issues, and that having urine poured on her for explaining her beliefs. While the comic does do a good job of portraying SJW's as a joke, which is good, it also, you know, portrays Trans issues as a joke too. Listen to the crowd when they try and argue with Lauren. It dosent sound like their using elipsies becuase their angry, it sound like their using elipsies becuase their unconfident in their claims, like their aware that Lauren is right about trans issues being a joke, and the best they can do is throw weak insults back at her. As Ive said, I'm not big on Trans issues, but this comic will help my cause more then Pleb's. The comic could have at least tried to explain why Lauren is wrong in her beliefs, but it dosent, and acts like SJW's and Trans people cannot face reality and instead reacts with assault when someone questions their reality.

As Ive said, I like Pleb's comic for the most part, but she has a hard time arguing about gender issues in a objective and factual matter. I may not agree with some of her views, but at least she could be logical about what she feels about gender issues. Otherwise, I'm just going to take advantage of her weak claims.

 

Last Edited By: ohitsyou Oct 25 16 4:29 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#87 [url]

Oct 25 16 5:24 PM

ohitsyou, that's dandy and all, but I've told you: Pleb sides with Southern. The elipses are there because the crowd are NOT confident on their claims. That's the point. The point is that Southern is RIGHT. Her claims are CORRECT.

Also I feel a bit responsible for all this... all this argument kinda spawned because I am a dumb bitch who doesn't know how to keep her mouth shut and I am sorry.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
avatar

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

Posts: 501

#88 [url]

Oct 25 16 5:35 PM

UglyHyena wrote:
ohitsyou, that's dandy and all, but I've told you: Pleb sides with Southern. The elipses are there because the crowd are NOT confident on their claims. That's the point. The point is that Southern is RIGHT. Her claims are CORRECT.

Also I feel a bit responsible for all this... all this argument kinda spawned because I am a dumb bitch who doesn't know how to keep her mouth shut and I am sorry.

Oh, okay. Guess I was wrong.

 

Last Edited By: ohitsyou Oct 25 16 6:02 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

Posts: 501

#90 [url]

Oct 25 16 6:13 PM

Yeah, maybe it dosent actually deserve a review then. I still think the double bird comic does not help her views, and I wish she would focus her efforts on other groups for variety sakes, but I jumped the gun I guess.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,969

#91 [url]

Oct 25 16 7:18 PM

ohitsyou wrote:
Ive used this comic before, but here is an example of a bad Pleb Comic:
...
The comic could have at least tried to explain why Lauren is wrong in her beliefs, but it dosent, and acts like SJW's and Trans people cannot face reality and instead reacts with assault when someone questions their reality.
Why did Pleb need to add anything to an accurate portrayal of events when that's what Pleb describes as the purpose of her comic?

As I asked before, why do you believe her comic is pushing a political agenda and isn't just her making cartoons out of stupid shit she sees, when her tumblr description is that she makes cartoons out of stupid shit she sees, and looking at the source makes it clear that she draws cartoons out of stupid shit she sees? What has she explicitly said anywhere that made you believe her comic serves an actual purpose beyond being illustrations of stupidity she's witnessed?

Quote    Reply   
avatar

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

Posts: 501

#92 [url]

Oct 25 16 7:21 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:

ohitsyou wrote:
Ive used this comic before, but here is an example of a bad Pleb Comic:
...
The comic could have at least tried to explain why Lauren is wrong in her beliefs, but it dosent, and acts like SJW's and Trans people cannot face reality and instead reacts with assault when someone questions their reality.

Why did Pleb need to add anything to an accurate portrayal of events when that's what Pleb describes as the purpose of her comic?

As I asked before, why do you believe her comic is pushing a political agenda and isn't just her making cartoons out of stupid shit she sees, when her tumblr description is that she makes cartoons out of stupid shit she sees, and looking at the source makes it clear that she draws cartoons out of stupid shit she sees? What has she explicitly said anywhere that made you believe her comic serves an actual purpose beyond being illustrations of stupidity she's witnessed?

Oh, I already said I was wrong if you read some of the recent entries.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

Posts: 501

#94 [url]

Oct 25 16 7:31 PM

No problem. Also, I never thought she was pushing a political agenga. (SFP this isnt) I thought when the subject of gender came up, she was more subjective about how she felt, so I thought it muddled her message at times. Yeah, I still think she has a problem with gender politics, but I made a mountain of a mole hill out of the issue.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help