Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

#1081 [url]

Long Tom wrote:
The real question being why this person even went to North Korea to begin with.

Maybe an answer, maybe not an answer at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2010/feb/14/northkorea

Probably advisable not to go, though.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/jul/11/korea

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

plarblman

Living Spambot

#1082 [url]

"North Korea proves your white privilege is not universal"

Oh, if only they could actually hold themselves to such statements. This very line gets brought up all the damn time, only for the identitarians to claim that white privilege still exists in "POC majority" countries due to global power imbalances.

likewise, I saw a similar post saying "It can be hard to believe if you have white privilege when you've never amounted to anything despite it." The doublethink is astounding.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#1083 [url]

OK, I didn't know about this assuming it's accurate.

If you do go to North Korea, you have to make sure you're absolutely on your best behaviour. Don't even think of acting up. I thought people knew this and had it drummed into them in advance? Apparently not in all cases, it may seem.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#1084 [url]

Ya pretty much

Fun fact: I recall a Danish TV I once saw, about two comedians who went to North Korea to spread some lulz (prehistoric prophets of kek?)

The catch was that one of them had spastic paralysis and was wheelchair bound. You wouldn't necesarily think that's an issue, but consider this: In all the footage you ever see from Best Korea, be it via their propaganda vids or smugled out video, then you NEVER see any handicapped people.

http://www.dsq-sds.org/article/view/936/1111 - for big read, but the TL:DR is that the Soviets basically began deporting their own handicaped (war vets, invalids, disabled, people who couldn't work) to labor camps

So how do you think Best Korea reacted to a handicapped comic showing up? They didn't kill him or throw him out, they just demanded that any show that he was part of only had him play a very simple flute - they basically did not want people to even see that human beings could be so handicaped. All citizens of Best Korea are in super health, so sayeth the supreme leader!

Quote    Reply   

Beardfist

Regular User

#1085 [url]

I knew of a guy when I was a freshman who claimed to have taken a vacation in NK. I did this "Red Eye Theater Project" thing with him, where a bunch of people write and throw together a play over the course of 24 hours - in doing that project, I came to realize for the first time that most theater people live some pretty cushy, pretty upper-class lives.

It is apparently much easier to travel into NK than one would be led to believe, if you have the capital to make the venture. I think he said something about wanting to see it for himself, and that things weren't actually as bad as it was shown to be - which I took at face value, since at that time I was politically uninformed. He cited how the more valuable reporting on the area would come from Al Jazeera and non-western media sources, and that we've all to a strong degree been misled about the nature of the state.

So there's going to be a crop of very wealthy, very liberal people who believe that they know very much more than everyone else, who are going to nevertheless seek verification for what they think. I suppose there's also missionary work that people travel there for, or as the Guardian article points out, bored wealthy tourists.

Privilege is a real concept that they've bastardized and perverted long past the point of meaning, because they want it to be a catch-all I-win. That quintessentially captures the progressive movement: they steal up real concepts and real struggles that face groups who do face certain unique problems. I'm never going to face anti-black racism, which is more prevalent than anti-white racism in the US and has relative strength in more meaningful areas - I will never have to deal with the fact that generations that came before me faced political disenfranchisement under a perversion of enlightenment philosophy, and that my historical roots are not realistically going to be known; I won't have to face advances from guys and I won't have to deal with employers that think I'm haughty or annoying for being ambitious and female. All these things exist, to varying degrees and varying places, and play into a wider conversation about how there are still social kinks to overcome to achieve true meritocracy and true egalitarianism - or, at least, as close as one can come to those ideals in the real world. But instead of concentrating on these concepts for what they are - disadvantages that change based on circumstance and class, that come paired with some advantages of their own across the board for everyone, and extremely nuanced and hard to challenge issues - a bunch of dumbshit kids that think they're smarter than everyone on the planet come along and shout from the heavens about how they're absolutely fully right and transform them into outright nonsensical, self-serving stupidities. The covert whitewashing of these comments and ideas is a business-centered realization that the self-flagellating population is no longer anywhere near a majority of the readership or cash-cow to milk; it's a realization that perhaps assuming everyone is that fucking nearsighted, arrogant, and outright retarded isn't really the best way to keep a paper afloat.

Quote    Reply   

#1086 [url]

If you want to see how NK works on the inside, then I can recomend this documentary:

its about people smugling western media into the country (even best korea needs its Game of Thrones seasons and shit) while sneaking recordings of the conditions inside the country out - I've seen it. It does not look good

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help