Remove this ad

Long Tom

Living Spambot

Lead

Jul 19 16 1:50 PM

Tags : :

Vegan Sidekick may not qualify as a webcomic, but there is Vegan Artbook, which qualifies perfectly:  http://www.veganartbook.com From what I've read, not only is it bad as a vegan advocacy webcomic, but the author herself is quite a douche, and even has an entry in Encyclopedia Dramatica.  Somebody want to give it a go?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jul 21 16 7:56 AM

I love animals, so I have plenty of experience with vegan nonsense and the antics of Priya Kishna. I've been wanting to review this comic for ages, actually, as I feel that it misrepresents animal activism and makes it look irrational. Unless you think somebody else would do better, I'd be willing to take it on.

A problem that immediately springs to mind is that the webcomic makes use of a lot of viceral social justice gorn (warning: all links NSFW) without so much as a "viewer discretion is advised" message. Its used for little more than emotion baiting and cheap shock value, and is thus degrading to actual instances of animal abuse. She also spouts a lot of easily debunked BS, like the idea that humanely raising animals doesn't make any difference in terms of reducing animal suffering and that animal farming is handled in the exact same factory farming conditions around the world. Some of it could be actually harmful to somebody too-- she seems, for example, to believe that plants alone are enough for everybody to be healthy as humans are natural herbivores. This is dangerous misinformation because that's only true for a very, very small percentage of the population-- while most people can live completely vegan short term, if they don't take supplements, long term they feel the effects of B12 deficiency, vitamin D deficiency if they don't live in a sufficiently sunny region, jaundice, underweightedness, as well as possibly having a higher risk of osteoporosis due to calcium deprivation. And some people can't even do supplements-- their bodies don't process them well enough for them to get all the useful nutrients they need. Not that that matters-- Priya doesn't recommend trying them at all! Somebody could seriously get hurt and end up miserable trying to take Priya's advice. Plus, as you mentioned, Priya's a douche. She's a massive hypocrite and completely selfish-- and also likes censorship, freely sending false reports and copyright infringement notices despite claiming that she wants her works disseminated.

Anything else that springs to mind that should be included in a review? She tends to delete comics that get too controversial for her liking (no, this is not a hope spot that she may be able to realize when she's screwed up-- she does it because she doesn't like criticism), so archives of the ones she's since taken down would be much appreciated as well.

Quote    Reply   

rhekyono

Casual User

#2 [url]

Jul 21 16 8:22 AM

Well, Susie, nothing to add on the review side in terms of advice... but maybe include some helpful links on both sides of the discussion at the end, particularly medical information, so the article itself doesn't have to get too bogged down by the details.

Even if one takes the time to jab at Priya and the propaganda, no reason you can't do the info a service at the same time.

Quote    Reply   

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#4 [url]

Jul 21 16 9:11 AM

TheNobleSusieHaltmann wrote:
Sounds reasonable to me. I know of a variety of sensible vegan/quasi-vegan sources too.

I'll just gather my sources until I get an ok from a mod.

You sound perfect for the job of writing the review.  Go for it.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jul 23 16 11:33 AM

I've got a rough draft on Google Drive, if anybody is interested. Draft

My Mac screwed up the formatting a little bit but it should read fine. I haven't gotten past the art section. However, since all the sections are tied into the writing section, I want to make sure they are solid before I get to reviewing the comic's writing. Tell me about anything you think I need to add-- aspects of the webcomic that I missed, places where sarcasm could be included, etc.

I must note, the art section took a lot out of me... :/ Seeing all those horrible images of real animals suffering, bloody, etc. so I could warn viewers about their use in the Vegan Artbook isn't easy.

Quote    Reply   

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#6 [url]

Jul 23 16 2:13 PM

Solid review so far,  but a couple of points:

​1)  You might want to cut out one or two pictures-a excessive amount of pictures is overkill, unless they must be shown for the purpose of the revie​w. 2) Some of what you put into the art section should really go into the writing section.  The art section is supposed to describe the artwork itself.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jul 24 16 7:00 AM

Long Tom wrote:
Solid review so far,  but a couple of points:

​1)  You might want to cut out one or two pictures-a excessive amount of pictures is overkill, unless they must be shown for the purpose of the revie​w. 2) Some of what you put into the art section should really go into the writing section.  The art section is supposed to describe the artwork itself.

Ok. I'll keep all that in mind and edit accordingly. Thanks!

Quote    Reply   

kyrtuck

Heavy User

#8 [url]

Jul 26 16 9:14 AM

Looks like a good start. Trying to think of what supeflous pics could be done away with as per Tom's sugggestion. The typical page pic? The Kittens?

But anyways, can't wait for you to get into the wiritng of it XD

Quote    Reply   

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#9 [url]

Jul 26 16 11:12 AM

kyrtuck wrote:
Looks like a good start. Trying to think of what supeflous pics could be done away with as per Tom's sugggestion. The typical page pic? The Kittens?

But anyways, can't wait for you to get into the wiritng of it XD

Keep the first, third, and fourth pictures.  Maybe keep the kittens too (but put them at the bottom of the review).

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#10 [url]

Jul 26 16 9:21 PM

You also may want to consider creating a sandbox and doing your draft there. That way you can format it with the wikicode as you draft it. I do this all the time and then delete my sandbox (after I publish to a real page) to eliminate the change log spam.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Jul 27 16 6:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I admit to being rather inexperienced with wiki software, so I wasn't even aware that you could make a sandbox. Thanks for the suggestion, Smash Lampjaw, I will definitely look into it.

I'm steadily making progress on writing. I find that if I spend too long on the writing section, I just end up getting angry, and that's not good for making a clearheaded review. Plus work and other personal stuff you probably don't care about. But I'll hopefully have it done soon.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#12 [url]

Jul 27 16 9:50 PM

You're welcome. As to writing angry, maybe you should just do it. Lose your shit a bit in your review so you get it out of your system. Then wait a day, reread it, and edit it into something you'd actually want to publish. You may find it easier to convert fury into clear-headedness than to restrain yourself. I had to vent and edit myself a few times with Dumbing of Age.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jul 28 16 3:17 PM

I might just try that, SmashLampjaw. It sure is tempting at this point.

On another note, I was wondering if I should change my introduction to something explaining what radical veganism is, as its central to the ideology that Priya is promoting and some people might not be familiar with veganism as an activist movement. Or should I just keep the intro as is and explain radical veganism in the writing section?

Quote    Reply   

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#14 [url]

Jul 28 16 3:38 PM

TheNobleSusieHaltmann wrote:
I might just try that, SmashLampjaw. It sure is tempting at this point.

On another note, I was wondering if I should change my introduction to something explaining what radical veganism is, as its central to the ideology that Priya is promoting and some people might not be familiar with veganism as an activist movement. Or should I just keep the intro as is and explain radical veganism in the writing section?

I recommend explaining radical veganism at the beginning.  Doing so would help explain that you're criticizing the webcomic itself and not veganism as a whole.  That makes a big difference in a review.

Quote    Reply   

izzus

Heavy User

#20 [url]

Aug 26 16 4:46 PM

Yeah apparently.
Also linked the pages those came from.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help