Remove this ad

avatar

Tom M

Casual User

Posts: 1

#23 [url]

Sep 29 16 6:19 AM

My god... seriously?

Honestly... I find you people's arguments on this webcomic's content pretty rude and weak. Your comments show so much lack of knowledge in nutrition, biology, history and on top of that: they even misrepresent the definition of veganism. This thread is full of ignorant butthurt comments of people trying to ease their guilt, clearly. Perhaps it would be an idea for you guys to do some research about veganism before you judge it. It's the fastest-growing social justice movement of all times, and for good reason.  It's all about non-violence, health and equality. Notice that Priya is arguing in favour of this while all you guys do is the opposite by arguing in favour of animal cruelty, death and environmental destruction for your selfish reasons. Priya's physical book (which you clearly didn't even bother reading, proving you judge a book by its cover) shows hundreds of credible sources to back up her claims, including information provided by the meat industry itself. Can't say that about you people, otherwise you'd have known that for instance a vegan diet, if done right, can be just as healthy, if not more, as an omnivore diet.I'm not vegan (however... I am considering it) but even I could pick apart every single one of your unoriginal, ignorant biased poor arguments easily. I actually met Priya at a food festival last month on which she was selling her books, in which my wife was interested. She is a very modest, soft and polite person. I don't get why butthurt guys like you spew so much hate against those who advocate for non-violence and for ending a form of oppression. It's crazy... There is nothing "hypocritcal" or "douchy" about wanting to end animal cruelty. What is truly hypocritical and douchy is whining about pictures of slaughterhouses being "offensive" yet funding what happens in those pictures and using strawman arguments to misrepresents a compassionate person's comics about non-violence, like TheNobleSusieHaltmann is doing. Sorry, I just felt like I had to say this.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

plarblman

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,169

#24 [url]

Sep 29 16 8:08 AM

Ok. On the off-chance that you'll actually read this: Everybody's already heard the whole veganism shtick before. Every single talking point. The reason the rest of us aren't vegans is that we don't find it compelling or convincing.

  • "It's all about non-violence, health and equality."

This assumes that animals are of equal status to humans to begin with, which the vast majority of people simply don't agree with. Animals are not sapient. They are incapable of higher, rational thought. And because they lack moral and intellectual autonomy, they are not born with natural rights that we associate with human beings. And before you go "But people used to think Black people were inferior too!" That had to do with debunked racial science that used to believe that black people (and other ethnicities) were actually different species from white people, an easily disprovable fact.
  • ​"Notice that Priya is arguing in favour of this while all you guys do is the opposite by arguing in favour of animal cruelty, death and environmental destruction for your selfish reasons."

No, being against animal cruelty and environmental destruction is fine. What we take issue with are her anti-scientific arguements, flawed premises, and sophistry.
  •  "Priya's physical book (which you clearly didn't even bother reading, proving you judge a book by its cover) shows hundreds of credible sources to back up her claims, including information provided by the meat industry itself."

It would be helpful if she simply listed her sources on her website, so that we can actually see them for ourselves. I'm going to guess that half of them are from "credible" sites like PETA or whatnot, and the other half are blatant misrepresentations of actual scientific papers. But we'll never know until those sources are readily available, and none of us are going to shell out real cash just to disprove something we can easily use online sources for.
  • ​" Can't say that about you people, otherwise you'd have known that for instance a vegan diet, if done right, can be just as healthy, if not more, as an omnivore diet." 

I can tell you right now, a vegan diet done right is extraordinarily difficult, one which most vegans I know fail at and give up after a year. My mother would never survive on a vegan diet; half her thyroid is missing, and she's allergic to soy, and she has to take a lot of supplements that include animal products simply because she needs them. Of course not everyone will have that situation, but a vegan diet is simply not balanced for human consumption. I could go into detail, but at this point you've probably stopped reading.
  • "I don't get why butthurt guys like you spew so much hate against those who advocate for non-violence and for ending a form of oppression. It's crazy... There is nothing "hypocritcal" or "douchy" about wanting to end animal cruelty. "

Nobody here is butthurt or spewing hate. Seriously, the worst we've done at all is make some snarky edits of a few pages. The purpose of this website is to critique webcomics. That includes comics of a political nature. And while you're free to believe whatever you want, if you put forward a claim, that claim can be debated and scrutinized, especially if it's an objective statement such as "Humans weren't meant to eat meat" or something of that nature.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Sep 29 16 9:29 AM

Ok but who the heck is that person defending this webcomic? At least introduce yourself, dude. And use paragraphs, geez.

I'mma go eat a ham sandwich like the good hyena I am.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Shmeckie

Regular User

Posts: 122

#26 [url]

Sep 29 16 12:05 PM

I was gonna reply to Tom's post, but I was eating this delicious rare cheeseburger and some blood squirted onto my monitor and it just won't come off. Maybe if I lick it off, that'll help, but I'm still kinda full after that plate of bacon I washed down with all that milk...

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Sep 29 16 12:52 PM

well like any other political webcomic - then we can't expect this comic to be unbiased or 'fair' in its messages

what we can look at is how it conducts is messages - and as pointed out repeatedly, then this comic overuses slaughterhouse gorn and other flavors of appeals to emotions in liu of actual arguments.

They seem to be running with a "See this cute puppy? See this squished chicken? See this disembowled pig? Don't eat animals" - as if that is some kind of cogent argument.

It is not

and thus this comic is bad - and the maker of it should feel bad.

The comic where he says that you shouldn't aggresively try to force your veganism down other people's throat is rather at odds with... well.. most of the other comics - which appear quite direct in their messages which ultimately seem to revolve around "You are a horrible person if you aren't 100% vegan"

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Long Tom

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,111

#30 [url]

Sep 29 16 2:56 PM

The irony of using a domestic cat to advocate veganism is the fact that catts cannot survive on vegetables.  Their digestion does not allow it.  I looked it up.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Sep 29 16 3:13 PM

I also think I've heard that cats (and most animals in fact) shouldn't even be allowed to drink milk since their bodies cannot process lactose.

So to all the vegans who still insist in owning a carnivorous pet and forcing your stupid diet on it: you are awful and I hope you all die. Buy a fucking guinea pig you dipshits.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Long Tom

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,111

#32 [url]

Sep 30 16 9:31 AM

UglyHyena wrote:
I also think I've heard that cats (and most animals in fact) shouldn't even be allowed to drink milk since their bodies cannot process lactose.

So to all the vegans who still insist in owning a carnivorous pet and forcing your stupid diet on it: you are awful and I hope you all die. Buy a fucking guinea pig you dipshits.

Better yet, a pet rock.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Mewsical

Casual User

Posts: 43

#33 [url]

Sep 30 16 2:05 PM

It's funny that vegans are against animal cruelty and yet some are being cruel to their animals by not giving them the proper diet. We're omnivores, we're capable of eating both meat and plants. A cat does not have that choice. I had a couple friends like this in college and it drove me nuts.

And yeah, most cats are lactose intolerant and yet cats drinking milk is a very common trope.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

plarblman

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,169

#34 [url]

Sep 30 16 4:25 PM

No see, veganism' isn't really about preventing animal cruelty, it's moral posturing. It's a lot easier to be moral over an abstract idea when you don't have to face a complicated flesh-and-blood real world.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

izzus

Heavy User

Posts: 294

#35 [url]

Oct 1 16 4:29 AM

Tom M wrote:
Honestly... I find you people's arguments on this webcomic's content pretty rude and weak. Your comments show so much lack of knowledge in nutrition, biology, history and on top of that: they even misrepresent the definition of veganism. This thread is full of ignorant butthurt comments of people trying to ease their guilt, clearly. Perhaps it would be an idea for you guys to do some research about veganism before you judge it. It's the fastest-growing social justice movement of all times, and for good reason.  It's all about non-violence, health and equality. Notice that Priya is arguing in favour of this while all you guys do is the opposite by arguing in favour of animal cruelty, death and environmental destruction for your selfish reasons. Priya's physical book (which you clearly didn't even bother reading, proving you judge a book by its cover) shows hundreds of credible sources to back up her claims, including information provided by the meat industry itself. Can't say that about you people, otherwise you'd have known that for instance a vegan diet, if done right, can be just as healthy, if not more, as an omnivore diet.I'm not vegan (however... I am considering it) but even I could pick apart every single one of your unoriginal, ignorant biased poor arguments easily. I actually met Priya at a food festival last month on which she was selling her books, in which my wife was interested. She is a very modest, soft and polite person. I don't get why butthurt guys like you spew so much hate against those who advocate for non-violence and for ending a form of oppression. It's crazy... There is nothing "hypocritcal" or "douchy" about wanting to end animal cruelty. What is truly hypocritical and douchy is whining about pictures of slaughterhouses being "offensive" yet funding what happens in those pictures and using strawman arguments to misrepresents a compassionate person's comics about non-violence, like TheNobleSusieHaltmann is doing. Sorry, I just felt like I had to say this.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Long Tom

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,111

#36 [url]

Oct 1 16 12:38 PM

When this review gets put up, should it get an A-bomb tag?  The author sounds just as bad as the authors of Billy The Heretic or Hathor The Cow Goddess.

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Oct 1 16 4:53 PM

I vote yes, A-bomb tag.

Altho, on the other hand, maybe that'll give the comic more exposure, which is what we want to avoid.

Yet on the other other hand, if it gains exposure using the BWW, then people will know how full of shit this comic is before reading it, instead of walking in blindly and ending up buying the author's arguments as true.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Shan

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,970

#38 [url]

Oct 1 16 5:13 PM

Tom M wrote:
Honestly... I find you people's arguments on this webcomic's content pretty rude and weak. Your comments show so much lack of knowledge in nutrition, biology, history and on top of that: they even misrepresent the definition of veganism. This thread is full of ignorant butthurt comments of people trying to ease their guilt, clearly. Perhaps it would be an idea for you guys to do some research about veganism before you judge it. It's the fastest-growing social justice movement of all times, and for good reason.  It's all about non-violence, health and equality. Notice that Priya is arguing in favour of this while all you guys do is the opposite by arguing in favour of animal cruelty, death and environmental destruction for your selfish reasons. Priya's physical book (which you clearly didn't even bother reading, proving you judge a book by its cover) shows hundreds of credible sources to back up her claims, including information provided by the meat industry itself. Can't say that about you people, otherwise you'd have known that for instance a vegan diet, if done right, can be just as healthy, if not more, as an omnivore diet.I'm not vegan (however... I am considering it) but even I could pick apart every single one of your unoriginal, ignorant biased poor arguments easily. I actually met Priya at a food festival last month on which she was selling her books, in which my wife was interested. She is a very modest, soft and polite person. I don't get why butthurt guys like you spew so much hate against those who advocate for non-violence and for ending a form of oppression. It's crazy... There is nothing "hypocritcal" or "douchy" about wanting to end animal cruelty. What is truly hypocritical and douchy is whining about pictures of slaughterhouses being "offensive" yet funding what happens in those pictures and using strawman arguments to misrepresents a compassionate person's comics about non-violence, like TheNobleSusieHaltmann is doing. Sorry, I just felt like I had to say this.

Well, I'm a doctor with a Masters in Public Heath and who's done a lot additional study into Primary Health and nutrition on top of the estimated 4 hours or so in the average medical course. I've also got some research projects in progress on areas closely related to this very topic. I've also read and own a copy of Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food" that I bought from a bookstore in Roppongi (along with a copy of the Ghost in the Shell Manga) and I'm typing this on a keyboard that I've mounted on exercise bike I've been cycling on for the last hour.

My point being I've got a bit of experience in this area and I'll keep an eye on the whole nutrition/biology/history angle of whatever's being done to make sure it doesn't go off the rails. So, you don't need to worry unduly on that side of things, OK?

Quote    Reply   
avatar

plarblman

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,169

#39 [url]

Oct 1 16 6:01 PM

Shan wrote:

I'm typing this on a keyboard that I've mounted on exercise bike I've been cycling on for the last hour.

Jesus Mr. Multitasker, tone down the overacheivements before you make the rest of us look like slovenly raggamuffins.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,969

#40 [url]

Oct 2 16 12:51 PM

Tom M wrote:
Honestly... I find you people's arguments on this webcomic's content pretty rude and weak.
They are supposed to be rude. We're discussing a bunch of preachy people with necrotic brains. Please point me to where we were too weak in our criticism though.
.
Tom M wrote:
Your comments show so much lack of knowledge in nutrition, biology, history and on top of that: they even misrepresent the definition of veganism. This thread is full of ignorant butthurt comments of people trying to ease their guilt, clearly.
Generic trolling is generic. Obviously you're only posting to ease your guilt over being a jackass. See how easy it is to make generic remarks?
.
Tom M wrote:
otherwise you'd have known that for instance a vegan diet, if done right, can be just as healthy, if not more, as an omnivore diet.
Which is why 3 out of 3 extensive studies on the effects of veganism on mental health have all shown vegans as greatly more likely to have mental and emotional issues (including diseases from brain degeneration) than people on a normal diet, right? Oh wait, sorry. I keep forgetting science done by scientists is propaganda unless you people agree with it.
.
Tom M wrote:
I'm not vegan (however... I am considering it) but even I could pick apart every single one of your unoriginal, ignorant biased poor arguments easily.
No, if you could have you would have. Instead you'll just endlessly come up with excuses not to, because you think you're the inventor of the phrase "it's not worth my time" and no one else has ever used it on the internet.
.
plarblman wrote:
Shan wrote:
I'm typing this on a keyboard that I've mounted on exercise bike I've been cycling on for the last hour.
Jesus Mr. Multitasker, tone down the overacheivements before you make the rest of us look like slovenly raggamuffins.
Just reading that made me tired. I'm going to go eat a steak, without the guilt vegans would feel -- if they really were good people -- for of all the animals displaced clear-cutting forests to make wheat fields or prairie creatures killed by combine harvesters.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help