Remove this ad

avatar

Shan

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,970

#41 [url]

Oct 2 16 1:00 PM

plarblman wrote:

Shan wrote:

I'm typing this on a keyboard that I've mounted on exercise bike I've been cycling on for the last hour.

Jesus Mr. Multitasker, tone down the overacheivements before you make the rest of us look like slovenly raggamuffins.

Would it help if I told you I was really mediocre at all of these things (jack-of-all-trades at best) and that for most of the hour I'd been cycling, I'd been watching Agents of SHIELD 4x02 and this came in the remainder of the time to make up the hour (really like what they're doing with Ghost Rider so far)? Also the exercise bike was one that one of our neighbours had put out with the recycling along with all their exercise equipment. I got the bike, someone else got the punching bag and yoga ball. There was also a birdcage for some reason.

Also discovered that one of my other neigbours who's been here for at least two years was working on Alien: Covenant in set design when I first talked to him recently (while waiting for the locksmith - in my defense, I did not lock us out, that was my parent's fault).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
avatar

fallinq

Heavy User

Posts: 292

#42 [url]

Oct 2 16 1:15 PM

izzus wrote:

Trying to make a strawman, then being unable to argue against said strawman because your own position is so weak and emotion based.
I'm having Nick Spencer flashbacks.

I also love how the author thinks constantly going: "Look at this stupid douchebag who eats meat! This is you when you eat meat! You stupid douchebag! You're a horrible, disgusting person who dines on bloody, rotting carcasses!" is going to warm meat eaters up to their message. I mean, Spencer's Marvel stuff at least seems to be targeted towards people who are neutral or already leaning towards his side, and he's flat out said he doesn't give the slightest crap about people who disagree with his views cuz they're eeeviiil. The author of Vegan Artbook seems to genuinely be trying to win over the opposition by insulting and misrepresenting them.

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

Oct 2 16 11:00 PM

not just that - it seems that the author is constantly pushing the idea that the only meat that normies eat is what they pry off rotting carcasses with their own teeth

that's not just promoting your own way of life, that's falsely representing what 'the opposition' does

Quote    Reply   
avatar

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,969

#44 [url]

Oct 2 16 11:22 PM

Who does the author of this comic think she's fooling? I cannot recall ever encountering someone walking up to someone in public and crying about immoral vegan options and going on and on about the virtues of eating meat. Yet, in spite of the non-existent meat eaters burning crosses made of steaks on their lawns, I've had to put up with listening to vegans run their mouths about their ridiculous food cult on several occasions as if a restaurant not catering to them is akin to the employee spitting in their faces.

Depicting normal humans acting like obnoxious vegans doesn't work. The only people who run up to strangers in public and challenge them on what they eat/serve are vegans.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

fallinq

Heavy User

Posts: 292

#48 [url]

Oct 3 16 5:06 PM

webkilla wrote:
well that's the thing Smash - the comic is obviously made for vegans by vegans, to circlejerk their beliefs and pat themselves on the back for how great the are

Is that really the goal though? A lot of the comics are definitely about that, but there's also a lot of "educational" comics that seem to be aimed at telling non-vegans about the wonderful benefits of veganism and the true horror of meat. I think the author of Vegan Artbook honestly believes that this is a good technique for converting people to veganism.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

plarblman

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,169

#49 [url]

Oct 3 16 6:08 PM

I think she wants to tell herself it's educational without making the commitment to actually try and reach out to them. A lot of supposedly educational pieces appear to be preaching to the choir, since they rarely attempt to actually engage non-vegans on their own terms. After all, why change people's minds when you can feel morally superior instead? If you're at all skeptical about my arguments it has to be because you're an evil carnist and not because you have genuine doubts about my position!

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Oct 3 16 10:13 PM

fallinq wrote:

webkilla wrote:
well that's the thing Smash - the comic is obviously made for vegans by vegans, to circlejerk their beliefs and pat themselves on the back for how great the are

Is that really the goal though? A lot of the comics are definitely about that, but there's also a lot of "educational" comics that seem to be aimed at telling non-vegans about the wonderful benefits of veganism and the true horror of meat. I think the author of Vegan Artbook honestly believes that this is a good technique for converting people to veganism.

I would disagree.

Those 'educational' comics still boil down to - IMHO - the vegans patting themselves on the back, telling themselves "Look at how much better we are, because if you eat meat you X/Y/Z bad stuff"

Its like any other kind of propaganda: It is designed just as much for themselves, as it is made to appeal to the weakminded of the 'enemy'. Glorify yourself, denigrate the other.


You know, preaching to the choir and reminding the faithful of how much sin the evil ones are commiting.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
avatar

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,969

#51 [url]

Oct 5 16 7:39 PM

Vegan Artbook strikes me as the same socio-political trash as countless other comics. It's just a giant "fuck you" to anyone who disagrees mixed with the usual round of depicting themselves as attractive and smart.

As to getting the taste out of my mouth, I turn to:

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Long Tom

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,111

#53 [url]

Nov 26 16 12:12 PM

izzus wrote:
Hey if this review isn't happening I'm gonna nab whatever's in the sandbox and finish it.

Please do so if it comes to that.  This is one webcomic that absolutely belongs here, if for no other reason than that it got listed in the TV Tropes List Of Horrible Webcomics.  Justifiably.

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Dec 4 16 12:30 AM

did this ever get a review? i read like two pages and was confused as to why they like have anime chibis talkin about being vegan. i don't mean to disrespect vegans or what have you, but why does this exist in such a weird format?

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Shan

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,970

#58 [url]

May 18 17 6:12 PM

Here's what I was getting at:

The problem with going beyond just the parts relating to the actual elements pertaining to webcomic composition is that you end up entering the realm of science textbooks both in content and in the potential size of your entry, in theory. Things can get very complex very quickly which is why I tried to keep things as stripped back as possible with OJST and aimed for it to just be a jumping off point for people to then go find their own sources. At least that's what I was trying to do. I'd also discussed a similar approach with izzus for this one:

  1. Soy doesn't increase estrogen.
  2.  
    1. Veganism isn't any more restricting than a meat eater's diet.
    2.  
      1. There is pus in milk.
        1. Meat eaters are like Hitler.

        2. a

        3. One example to start with, I didn't want him to take out the section on Vitamin B12. I still think that should go in. However, since people do literally write big textbooks just on this one subject, all I was suggesting was saying something along the lines of:


        4. "A key difference between just being a vegetarian and a vegan is over what is available for sources of Vitamin B12."


        5. It can be difficult to find reliable sources on the subject. So look closely at your sources.


        6. This one is from a reputable medical journal as opposed to the multitude of other ones you have to wade to to get to it after a Google search. So, the key lesson here more than even the content is check your sources and know what to look for which is what I want to be the takeaway here. 
The Medical Journal of Australia is a peer-reviewed medical journal. It is the official journal of the Australian Medical Association, published by the Australasian Medical Publishing Company (applies to much more than just science, of course).

https://www.mja.com.au/open/2012/1/2/vitamin-b12-and-vegetarian-diets

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Medical_Journal_of_Australia

Otherwise, you could potentially end up being dragged into discussions outside the remit of webcomics. So that's why whenever we go beyond just webcomics to intersecting with, well in this case science, I try to aim for just pointing people in what I hope is the right direction to start looking and then leave it to them.

"Pus in milk" which I'll get to next post. I would advise switching to: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurization

because that's much wider scope. There's a lot of things in milk you really don't want to encounter before that process, for starters.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Shan

Living Spambot

Posts: 1,970

#60 [url]

May 19 17 12:34 AM

Well, that's the thing. I didn't want us to get bogged down in battles over things that directly connected to webcomics composition such as debates over competing and conflicting sources.

How the arguments are presented and made by the webcomic and the quality of its sources, well now that's quite different.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help