Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

Lead

Sep 5 16 11:30 AM

Tags : :

Discovered this by accident while checking out my ads on Spying With Lana, intrigued enough by the ad to have a look. Read through it all very quickly (admittedly not hard given the number of pages so far).

http://www.shatteredstarlight.com/shattered-starlight/sucks-to-be-you-magical-girl/

From the creator of Fey Winds, not a huge archive yet but it's already had me in stitches, from the reveal of the name of the Ranger team (and the utter look of disdain from one of them that just. kept. on. going) and the promise of muffin related violence if certain people didn't behave.

I also liked the mostly monochrome look but still keeping the brightly coloured hair. I'm definitely following this one for sure.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

#2 [url]

Sep 6 16 4:20 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
I was surprised I liked it. I generally dislike magical girl stuff, but I also wasn't expecting a satire of it.

That's it exactly, the whole satire angle. Especially since I think in the actual flashbacks, there the implication some of them were really badly hurt or even died, there's the implication that their actions and powers (as well as their opponents) had actual consequences for them and people around them. There's humour and comedy but the underlying premise is being played both straight and seriously.

Quote    Reply   

Sindy

Living Spambot

#5 [url]

Sep 8 16 9:20 AM

A weird design coincidence and an immature mind and friend has tainted this comic for me into the trippiest crossover possible.

But you guys have fun.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#6 [url]

Sep 8 16 1:13 PM

Sindy wrote:
A weird design coincidence and an immature mind and friend has tainted this comic for me into the trippiest crossover possible.

But you guys have fun.

You just had to go and be a combo breaker, didn't you?

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#7 [url]

Sep 12 16 5:41 PM

Sindy wrote:

But you guys have fun.

OK ...

So are you going to share with the rest of the class or what?

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Sep 12 16 6:07 PM

Shan wrote:

Sindy wrote:

But you guys have fun.

OK ...

-gets popcorn- Seconded!

Quote    Reply   

Sindy

Living Spambot

#9 [url]

Sep 12 16 10:50 PM

UglyHyena wrote:

Shan wrote:

Sindy wrote:

But you guys have fun.

OK ...

-gets popcorn- Seconded!

I didn't want to do it in my original post (though I considered it) because I know jokes become unfunny when you have to explain them to someone, and especially when said someone is unfamiliar with every aspect of the joke.

But.

​I have this friend who likes pretty much the exact same stuff as me. She's also occasionally reading webcomics (and lurking BWW every now and then, though this is irrelevant).

​There's this game we're both liking quite a lot, which has this Empress of Evil.
So I linked my friend this page,​ with the added text "(EoE)'s been busy"
(if it's not clear, the magic girl outfit is element-for-element identical to hers, except she doesn't hate pants. It stuck out to me immediately and made me laugh primarily because I had -just- finished doing an art piece of her, and was closely acquainted with the outfit)
​But the friend one-upped me by saying that clearly those are her elite hand-picked enforcers.
​We then spent some time replacing the text in the exposition pages of Shattered Starlight with terms from the other setting (eg defending Earth became defending (EoE)'s homeworld). It ended up fitting hilariously well to the point my friend said she'd totally write a short crossover fanfic and I said I would totally illustrate it.
​Alas, both of us are extremely short on time and have like a million more urgent things to attend to. So this is one of those dreams that will stay dreams for eternity.

​(edit:links)

Last Edited By: Sindy Sep 13 16 1:06 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#10 [url]

Sep 12 16 11:14 PM

OK, now you see that's useful to know because from what you wrote, I took that to mean that you just didn't like it. Obviously the reality is just a bit more complicated (though you may actually still not like it, that option is not excluded - after all, you said for us to still have fun, we're just reading it. The implication is that you wouldn't be. The alternative, though is that you couldn't read it because of getting the giggles over what you just said, which could either be that you like or dislike it. Either is possible. Well, that's me done taking as many words as possible to overexplain something ...

That image isn't working by the way, it just goes to a divert. Noted link problems.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Sindy

Living Spambot

#11 [url]

Sep 12 16 11:28 PM

Couldn't read it because of the giggles. Still can't, even though that specific outfit is gone

Link is working for me. Just copy it manually or something. Maybe that works.

Mandatory complaint about Yuku.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#14 [url]

Sep 13 16 12:48 AM

I see now.

Ha!

Also new page is up, she jumps a fence and punches someone whose face we won't see until at least the next page!

Very exciting! I can hardly wait to see who is this mystery person (undoubtedly from her turbulent past but not someone we've seen in any substantial fasion yet but we'll be brought up to speed real soon, I'm sure).

OK, that sounded super sarcastic but I'm really being sincere, here. Loving this so far.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#15 [url]

Dec 14 16 8:22 PM

Just wanted to point out that I really like this first panel of page 44. I have it on good authority that these angled perspective shots can be quite tricky and time consuming to make.

Quote    Reply   

Beardfist

Regular User

#16 [url]

Dec 15 16 9:16 AM

It's rare that narrative webcomics can grab me, because I'm a damned stickler about mistakes--since it's the style of webcomic I'd want to make. But, well, I'm really impressed with the first twenty pages of this so far. I love the style, I love the art--and some of those establishing shots are absolutely gorgeous. I like the tone, the way that we can tell who characters are and how they behave from what they do or the way they say things, and I like that the ham-fisting of information down our throats is... at least somewhat organic, though still a little bothersome. So far the pacing seems alright, even if I have never been and will never be a fan of the 'foreshadow events to be discussed later' style of introduction. It's still got problems here and there with paneling and WORDSWORDSWORDS, but I think I enjoy that they're in there. Adds a spice of authenticity to the fandangle. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Dec 19 16 8:43 AM

It looks ok

the art style overall is quite impressive - screams of college art student (but in a good way)

however, a lot of the characters, especialyl the female ones, seem to quite regularly have that tumblr-grade red-nose thing. I can't stand that.

but ok, its only 45 pages in and looks innocent enough so far.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#18 [url]

Dec 19 16 9:53 PM

This may be one of the only comics I've seen that focuses on what a raw deal it is to not be a special snowflake in a powers-having universe, without it being a "check your privilege" kind of delivery.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#19 [url]

Dec 19 16 11:00 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
This may be one of the only comics I've seen that focuses on what a raw deal it is to not be a special snowflake in a powers-having universe, without it being a "check your privilege" kind of delivery.

I think I get what you mean by that but could you please expand on that?

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#20 [url]

Dec 20 16 10:25 AM

Shan wrote:
SmashLampjaw wrote:
I think I get what you mean by that but could you please expand on that?
One of the current trends of political injection in superhero comics is to have the supers figure out they should be serving the normals. I don't mean protecting them, I mean taking direction from local/world government rather than being morally-driven individuals. My knowledge of comics is limited, but I read stuff people insist I should look into. The most ham-fisted example I can think of is Mark Millar's stillborn reporter storylines in the Marvel Civil War, where Captain America gets shamed into silence for not being on Facebook or elected. The whole MCW was garbage, but the reporters' stories ("Embedded", I think) were the preachiest and stupidest. The least obnoxious I can think of was DC's Kingdom Come, where Superman comes to the conclusion the Justice League should be taking directions from the UN after events I won't spoil because it was actually a good story.

Shattered Starlight has taken a rather grim approach from the other direction. The comic has the magical girls basically saying normals automatically have their memories erased so their otherwise-constant fear won't fuel these monsters, assuming they don't just get eaten. It kind of reminds me of how other genres have medical examiners or doctors shown talking impersonally about the dead, because it's a way of detatching themselves to avoid being emotionally overwhelmed on a daily basis.

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help