Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

#21 [url]

Dec 20 16 10:42 AM

SmashLampjaw wrote:

Shan wrote:

SmashLampjaw wrote:
This may be one of the only comics I've seen that focuses on what a raw deal it is to not be a special snowflake in a powers-having universe, without it being a "check your privilege" kind of delivery.

I think I get what you mean by that but could you please expand on that?

One of the current trends of political injection in superhero comics is to have the supers figure out they should be serving the normals. I don't mean protecting them, I mean taking direction from local/world government rather than being morally-driven individuals. My knowledge of comics is limited, but I read stuff people insist I should look into. The most ham-fisted example I can think of is Mark Millar's stillborn reporter storylines in the Marvel Civil War, where Captain America gets shamed into silence for not being on Facebook or elected. The whole MCW was garbage, but the reporters' stories ("Embedded", I think) were the preachiest and stupidest. The least obnoxious I can think of was DC's Kingdom Come, where Superman comes to the conclusion the Justice League should be taking directions from the UN after events I won't spoil because it was actually a good story.

Shattered Starlight has taken a rather grim approach from the other direction. The comic has the magical girls basically saying normals automatically have their memories erased so their otherwise-constant fear won't fuel these monsters, assuming they don't just get eaten. It kind of reminds me of how other genres have medical examiners or doctors shown talking impersonally about the dead, because it's a way of detatching themselves to avoid being emotionally overwhelmed on a daily basis.

Coincidentally, I was just rereading the Civil War entry on Wikipedia just a few hours ago. It wasn't Facebook, it was myspace (that dates things to a very specific time even more than the most clearly defined sediment levels recorded in geology.)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

#23 [url]

Dec 20 16 7:59 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
Yes, but did you have any thoughts on the greater discussion? The on-topic one? :P

I just really like that the comic acknowledges it totally sucks to be a normal in its universe. (It seems to really suck to have powers, too.)

Oh, don't you go there with my simply giving a minor clarification to a point you raised in the first place. In a thread I started no less.

You hear me? Just so we're clear?

EVEN YOU DON'T GET TO GO THERE EVEN WITH YOUR FANCY MODERATOR POWERS AND THREAD BIFURCATING ABILITIES AND ALL THAT.

*ahem*

I think it's actually a very interesting idea but it can be very tricky to pull off. Superheroes to varying degrees can be very powerful but then so can politicians with their ability to persuade. That's their superpower if you like. We see it all the time with politicians of all stripes. I'm sure most of us if not all of us have been guilty at some point of our lives of saying that politician or prominent figure just said or did something stupid but the best ones know full well what they're doing and more often than not, it works for them.

Now in the world of Shattered Starlight specifically (I was getting around to getting there eventually), obviously we have some way to go yet but it's clear (and that's one of the things I quite like about it) is actions have consequences and either causing or being caught up in a violent event, something where a lot of destruction has been caused can be psychologically scarring regardless of how we got there. I like that they're looking at that.

"One of the current trends of political injection in superhero comics is to have the supers figure out they should be serving the normals."

Now as for this and they've touched on this too in Shattered Starlight is that I can totally see that a lot of superpowered people would go as far as to actually want this. Sure bureaucracy is tedious and seems unnecessarily complex but some degree is necessary. Someone has to deal with the fallout and clean up the mess afterwards, not to mention the ongoing negotiations with all the various intersecting levels and branches of government this would involve. I could see most people, superpowered or not, just throwing their hands up and being happy to let other people take care of it. We've already seen at least one person on Shattered Starlight with powers whose job it is to do at least some of that and they're clearly not always thrilled about it.

That's another interesting point, superpowered people don't have to be distinct from the normals in terms of the exercising of power, incorporation into the system is another possibility, Agents of SHIELD has an Inhuman recently put into a senior administrative post. Sure, he's had a fight or two but much of what he's had to do has been juggling competing administrative pressures. Another excellent comic out of the UK (and 2000AD) was Zenith, where among other things, we see one superhuman character through the course of several stories, climb the political ladder on the way to Prime Minister of the UK.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help