Remove this ad

kyrtuck

Heavy User

Lead

Nov 4 16 9:31 AM

Tags : : , , , , ,

A comic thats been around for a few years now.  I first followed it on DA, then saw that it was on Comic Fury.  Even had a teeny tiny tvtropes page with like four tropes on it...

Kay and P is a slice of life urban fantasy about these monster people (collectively known as ammortals) living in the city amongst humans, but humans see the ammortals just as other humans, or don't see them at all.  The one exception so far being the human heroine Kay.  The plot may have a few bumps too, like once it was said that ammortals don't have any magic abilities, but later on, at least some of them do.

There are hipster/libtard/SJW vibes, like Kay being a bisexual, ploy-dating, college student with pink hair highlights, or a little fantastic racism among ammortals, like skeletons aren't well liked because theyre made rather than born.  But never once does it feel like its trying to cram some message or agenda down your throat. Its always managed to stay a cute, warm friendly story alternating between humor and drama without much mood whiplash.  And I think the art is really great, with the colors, shading, expressions, and the artist has a good eye for layouts as well.

EDIT: Doesn't start having other ammortals until issue 10.  Dammit, sorry bout that.

Last Edited By: kyrtuck Nov 5 16 4:14 AM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#3 [url]

Nov 4 16 4:24 PM

I don't really care for it, personally. In fact, I'm not even sure on the skeleton, I think they state its male but it doesn't act like one, and before anyone says "Well, the skeleton is actually gay", that's a little hard to swallow if you have no genitalia, no hormones, and were never even human to begin with.

Secondly, I can't take someone seriously if their avatar is this cartoonishly stereotypical hipster/punk person, so either someone is doing some fantasizing about the ideal "punk/hipster life" or a total douchebag who I might see in a bus while simultaneously laughing silently and keeping my distance.

Thirdly, this is at least code yellow NSFW, as the 12th page (not including the cover) has the female protagonist waking up in her underwear...with no bra of any sort.

EDIT: Goddamn, Yuku is terrible at post editing

Last Edited By: American Dork Nov 4 16 4:37 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

kyrtuck

Heavy User

#5 [url]

Nov 5 16 4:13 AM

I never cared for the poly-dating thing myself, but it gets less prominent in the later issues.

ALSO, I shoulda mentioned it doesn't get to the other ammortals stuff until issue 10.   Dammit X(

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Nov 5 16 12:33 PM

kyrtuck >> "or a little fantastic racism among ammortals, like skeletons aren't well liked because theyre made rather than born."

Funny, I never actually thought about fantasy racism as a SJW thing, I thought it was a natural thing humans do - push someone apart because they perceive them as inferior or as a threat - therefore it extends to other rational beings by virtue of being a natural self-defense mechanism.

Then again, it has to make sense for its world and not be like, an extended metaphor for human issues. Like, say, there be elves who don't like dark elves because in the story dark elves use dark magic associated with necromancy and disease: that makes sense. Elves not liking dark elves only because of their dark skin, tho? That's reaaaally testing my suspension of disbelief, unless it is meant as a joke, in which case I tell you "dude, that's too easy of a joke to make".

American Dork >> "In fact, I'm not even sure on the skeleton, I think they state its male but it doesn't act like one, and before anyone says "Well, the skeleton is actually gay", that's a little hard to swallow if you have no genitalia, no hormones, and were never even human to begin with."

He reminds me of the robot from that old cartoon Time Squad (I liked that series). I guess in these cases, MST3K mantra applies: "It's a cartoon. Don't think too hard about it."
Also I am glad I am not the only one who is annoyed at the author's avatar... but whatever, it is not my call to make. Use whatever avatar you like, darling.

Anyway, it seems a pretty cute comic indeed. I might give it a read when I have some time.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Nov 10 16 3:33 PM

Ok, I'll bite

Art quality is high - like, really high - this is very well drawn.

That said, then the first ten pages of the comic is a mess of shitty introductions... I mean, the setting seems to be a contemporary real world - but then... suddenly skeleton?

and its first at page 10 we're told that only the girl can see the skeleton. I would have pointed that out a bit earlier... and apparently the skeleton can pick stuff up, its just invisible to others...

how the fuck could it move around in a densely packed club? Seriously - throughout the comic its repeatedly pointed out that the skelly is invis to normies. All the other magic creatures appear as normal humans to normies because... shitty writing that doesn't explain shit. How can the skelly move about in normal society without bumping into people!? one of the biggest plotholes in the comic.

that said, then the comic does present the girl in a very nicely "not perfect" form - she gets tired, she's a mess in the morning, so on. Works with me, but fuck if this comic is slow about introducing anything that even smells of a plot.

I can't even tell from the first twenty pages if this is a slice of life comic, or if its meant to actually have a longer overarching plot. Fuck it - binge mode:

Page 25 - ok, big points for pointing out hipster music bullshit. Like, big points.

150 pages in, ok - the comic takes a look at how messed up the girl's childhood was with growing up with an invisible skeleton. Only complaint I have is that we're supposed to be believe that nobody ever saw it move stuff around? No, that's just too far out. Still, it reinforces the idea that the main character is flawed - and that works well.

Though... fuck me - 150 pages in - and its not just slice of life, its slice of life with no sense of progression or anything really happening. Hell, 150 pages in, issue 5, we're still being introduced to new things like her past or the fact that the skeleton apparently eats thing. Like, for real. It doesn't just fall down through the rib cage either.

Does the skeleton poop?

page 213 - so... she's bisexual? Well that came out of nowhere. We've only seen her date/flirt with men so far into the comic, which had been going for over a year at this point. Lazy writing, but its a minor nitpick

Here the comic finally seems to get into gear and get interesting:

275 - some random joker shows up who can hear the skeleton? no explanation how... ah ok - suddenly we're shown all the magic shit living in the real world, via some magic veil or bullshit.

300 - ok, so the rap try-hard moron is a little more than that. that's a nice twist

332 - santa is real apparently

352 - magic bug infestation? the cure is apparently dank nugs

and more random shit

It took me about 2 hours to power-binge through the archive of this.

Its in-offensive not-harry potter "human in a magical realm" type slice of life. Short mini arcs, very little if anything that even smells of a long-term arc. There is the occational scare, but five pages later its pretty much all forgoten.

ARound page 500-ish there are hints of a long term sub-plot about shadowy somethings that might be working to wipe the main character girl's mind so she can't see magic creatures anymore - because normie humies aren't supposed to be able to do that to begin with. But fuck, that sub-plot only seems to get maybe a page or two every 80 pages or something.

I bookmarked it for the M-W-F comics I watch - the art alone is worth keeping tabs on this for. The plot? meh, its bland and inoffensive, but with a reasonably unique twist, though comics like skindeepcomic.com does the "secret magic world that exists in parallel to normie humans" much better, and even has long overarching plots, though it updates much slower.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Sindy

Living Spambot

#10 [url]

Nov 12 16 12:12 AM

[insert mandatory Sindy post]

Eeeeehhhhhhhhh art is just polished tumblr style. It decayed awfully from a competent semirealism uniqueish style where the skeleton looked like a skeleton and the anatomy was competent to a run off the mill crap I see in a million deviantarts. Her painting got better with time, but her lines are wobblier and her basic stuff went to the shitter (anatomy, perspective, etc). She also stopped trying poses and angles out of her comfort zone.

Also her latest post is another bs on how the world is ending and minorities' lives are threatened because Trump is now president.

Fuck this shit.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Nov 13 16 10:00 PM

kyrtuck wrote:
Ahhh, Webkilla....are you the type who would stick his hand into the Invisible Man's mouth to see if it would disappear?

I would fist kittens just to write about my new warm flesh meowling flesh gloves

As for Sindy's comment on the art style - ya - it has degraded. Maybe in an attempt to rush the art more for more updates, or maybe because the artist just got lazy? Who knows

compare this most recent update: http://kayandp.thecomicseries.com/images/comics/122/01c382b11ee97320122507bc9a84f1742051021218.jpg

to this, one of the first pages: http://kayandp.thecomicseries.com/images/comics/c6027604669ada1a9af5e375ab1fd3dd353754872.jpg

without the 'eye brows' the skeleton simply can't emote nearly as well - that makes it lose a lot of its character

as for interpretting my post as a recommendation? That's one way of looking at it - I guess. Start around this page: http://kayandp.thecomicseries.com/comics/264

You will seriously not be missing ANYTHING if you skip everything before that. Up until that point its purely just lol-random slice of generic life with girl and her 'maybe' imaginary skeleton friend. Its after this that things get interesting.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Nov 14 16 6:46 AM

webkilla.classic.fr wrote:
as for interpretting my post as a recommendation? That's one way of looking at it - I guess.

I was talking about SkinDeep, but that last one is also a good idea for starting with this comic.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Nov 14 16 9:45 AM

UglyHyena wrote:

webkilla.classic.fr wrote:
as for interpretting my post as a recommendation? That's one way of looking at it - I guess.

I was talking about SkinDeep, but that last one is also a good idea for starting with this comic.

ah ok - yes - I can highly recommend that comic. It has very interesting world-building, interesting characters, though it updates maybe only once or twice a month...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help