Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

Lead

Nov 4 16 12:46 PM

Tags : :

OK, so at least before when the below was happening, at least we knew where we stood. Then we had that phase when it was luring our posts in ... and then eating them (if this thread goes, the next one is definitely going to be called Forum Status Three: The Domination). Now that was even worse, at least before we couldn't waste our time. Are we now back to normal yet or is it too early to say?

That does it, I'm definitely bringing back a new forum from my next shady business deal next week. The other option I'm looking at would get us a very workable platform that I know has better functionality than this, even when it's working properly (or seems to be). Possibly a drawback might be that for all intents and purposes, we'd become a subsiduary of Comic Fury ....

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

#2 [url]

Nov 4 16 1:29 PM

This is my canary test. If this thread and its posts survive the weekend, then I'm putting back my other posts as best as I can recreate them. The ones worth putting back, that is.

We can still keep this forum online, like the slashdot or whatever it was before it. Maybe even keep the Zoophobia thread running as some kind of legacy reserve (it's its own subculture anyway).

I'll see what I can bring back with me. Alternatively, even though this is still unlikely, becoming part of the Comic Fury site architecture has a certain ironic appeal too ...

Quote    Reply   

Sindy

Living Spambot

#7 [url]

Nov 6 16 2:06 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
Forum was down again, but it came back up with what look like all the posts still in it...

what look like
what look like
what look like
what look like

SMASH HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED, NO OTHER EXPLANATION FOR THAT GRAMMAR

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#9 [url]

Nov 6 16 2:18 PM

Why rush? There was just as much chance the forums would lie in wait for your post and eat it at a later date anyway. Surely our memories aren't that short to what just happened (this isn't the first Forum Status Thread, remember?)

Then there's the other obvious fact. You get your post up before the forum goes down. Even if it survives, who's going to be able to read it then?

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#10 [url]

Nov 6 16 2:31 PM

On the subject of bringing things back online, I'd like to resurrect the Webcomics Authority.

Or at least the logo.

Now who can I talk to about that?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Nov 6 16 3:23 PM

I can't remember specifically posts disappearing. The main problems I have with Yuku as is the following:

- "Quick reply" at the bottom whether or not you logged in, so if you posted anything before you log in, then it will wipe it
- Extended downtimes
- Riddled with ads on mobile devices (some of the ads on desktop seem to be malicious, it will try to download things I didn't tell it to download)
- Problems that often don't go unfixed (remember when we were avatar-less periods?)
- Editing posts is unintuitive. Every forum I've been to has the post you made, then you fix it. Here it provides a blank then expects you to create an entirely new one, only giving you a topic preview of what you wrote.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Nov 6 16 4:18 PM

I saw on the yuku support forum that on november 4 they were moving some forums to a new server and that's why things have been wacky.
I'm not sure if our problem is because things are getting fixed or because it hasn't been fixed and at this point I'm afraid it may never get better.

Quote    Reply   

plarblman

Living Spambot

#13 [url]

Nov 6 16 5:13 PM

The problem with this forum have been more than just server outages. The software on here is persistently buggy. American Dork listed many most of them, which have been ongoing problems for a long time.

Also, for anyone having a problem with trying to post while not logged in, simply log in, then click back and your post will still be there, so you can click quick reply. But if you're having a problem with editing posts, you're better off just canceling out because something got messed up in the software. Your post should still be there. You may want to click on source and edit in BBCode if you're still having problems.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#15 [url]

Nov 6 16 7:00 PM

izzus wrote:
I dunno I never had too many problems editing a post. The remove formatting button helps a lot.

[left]izzus!

[url=

Last Edited By: Shan Nov 6 16 7:02 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#17 [url]

Nov 10 16 12:06 AM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
The forum is randomly going offline for about half an hour at a time. I strongly advise copying your post before attempting to submit it.

In all seriousness, shouldn't we move to a new forum? Even if I haven't been phrasing it in the most serious way possible, I really am going to meet with my computer engineer relatives (like tomorrow and for the next two weeks) and I think I can get us set up with a better forum option in the not too distant future.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#20 [url]

Nov 20 16 2:18 PM

@Shan: That's fantastic.

The forum seems to have been stable a few days now, if not a little slow. Anyone experiencing crashes or white pages?

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help