Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Nov 21 16 4:57 PM

I few days back (but after the latest crash) I got the error page that eats or reposts the post. Right now I'm having a slow loading of the forum as a whole.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

plarblman

Living Spambot

#24 [url]

Nov 25 16 7:53 PM

Here's something I've found that may help: If the site itself isn't down but you're getting a pageload error, sometimes if you can get to a specific subforum or thread, you're able to go back to the main page by clicking the link at the top.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#25 [url]

Nov 25 16 8:55 PM

Ah, I should probably post this tip:

If you are logged in and submit a post and all you get is a white screen, DO NOT CLOSE THE TAB OR HIT BACK. Just leave the tab open and looks to see if the forum is up in a separate tab. Use this new tab to monitor when the forum is up again. If the forum is up, see if your comment posted. If the forum is up and your post has not appeared, jump back to the white screen tab and hit F5. Refreshing a page that broke in the middle of a forum submission causes your browser to reattempt it, and as long as you have not closed the tab or hit back, what you tried to submit will remain in memory.

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#28 [url]

Dec 1 16 2:14 PM

Well, looks like we're back for now.

I'd like to suggest at least considering looking at this (among other things.)

http://www.quertime.com/article/15-best-online-forum-platforms-software-free-and-paid/

Also, if anyone wants to make use of this the next time this happens, my friends over here:

http://bronzebeta.com/

haven't objected if we want to regroup the next time this happens in order to wait for further instructions.

You don't need to create an account to post on anything like that, instructions are all quite clear if you want to add a password to the name and also how to change it later.

It's a linear posting board. Yes, it's a Buffy posting board (directly descended from the original WB board and almost 20 years old soon) but don't worry, it's not a left wing trap, I actually fled it in late 2015 because its politics was getting just a bit too right wing for my tastes. So of course, I really dodged a bullet of political discussions there (and fell into a pit trap here.)

Anyway, everyone's really nice and there's a bolt hole if we need to get in touch with each other (at least until another plan is made.)

Well, it's there, anyway. Beats being able to see the board but not be able to communicate.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

plarblman

Living Spambot

#30 [url]

Dec 2 16 12:47 PM

Ok, well NOW the desktop site is working for me. Still, this is super annoying. I think we should have an interim backup plan for communication next time the forum goes down; I'm thinking of posting a link on the main site for whatever backup site we use to make sure people know where to go. I'd rather not use someone else's forum except as a last resort, and I doubt many people here are that enthusiastic about Buffy.

EDIT: Strangely enough I could only get the webcached version of the main page of the forum while on chrome, but the live version of every other page works fine. I think I'll bookmark every subforum for now.

Last Edited By: plarblman Dec 2 16 12:54 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#32 [url]

Dec 2 16 1:33 PM

How bizarre. I logged in, and instead of finding the cold comfort of a solid white page with no information, I find myself seeing the site while logged in.

The forum is noticeably faster. I think we may be toward the end of the server migration.

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#33 [url]

Dec 2 16 3:38 PM

plarblman wrote:
Ok, well NOW the desktop site is working for me. Still, this is super annoying. I think we should have an interim backup plan for communication next time the forum goes down; I'm thinking of posting a link on the main site for whatever backup site we use to make sure people know where to go. I'd rather not use someone else's forum except as a last resort, and I doubt many people here are that enthusiastic about Buffy.

EDIT: Strangely enough I could only get the webcached version of the main page of the forum while on chrome, but the live version of every other page works fine. I think I'll bookmark every subforum for now.

We don't really talk about Buffy as much these days given it went off the air more than 10 years ago. Right now, there's the usual debate about the myriad crimes of the Obama administration, so it's business as usual (it's why I took a breather for over a year, yes there's some to varying degrees who agree with that and some of us who ... agree with less of it.)

Anyway, that's beside the point. If there's a failure here again and everything else fails including the backup plan, we're ... well, you're (I've been there on and off for more than a decade) all welcome there as a point to regroup, get a message out or whatever. Like I said, if the building's on fire and you have to meet somewhere as designated by a fire drill, well, it's there if you need it.

I can't see how exactly it would ever be needed (plarblman's idea is better, good job there) but ... well, it's there if all else fails, for what that's worth.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#34 [url]

Dec 3 16 7:57 PM

OK, here's one of the forum types I'd like to suggest if we move again.

http://www.chud.com/community/

I don't know if this is a custom or off the shelf forum (I suspect the former) but what I do like is that if you click on the name of a poster, you can see their last 1000 posts listed in reverse order.

Also, this page lists the forums last posted in in reverse order regardless of the subforum it's in. I think that feature could be useful.

Regardless of what we go for if we move, I'm thinking at least the former of those features would be nice in our new destination, currently, Yuku seems to only see you see the last handful of posts unless I'm really missing something.

Quote    Reply   

oddguy

Living Spambot

#36 [url]

Jan 11 17 9:43 AM

and now
a tale off oddguy
world's best admin

told myself I'd log in regularly
kept that promise for 2 weeks
emailed yuku about the problem
they told me they have been changing a bunch of stuff since getting into a partnership with a new company
told me the tech issues might keep happening for a little while longer, probably stop soon
didn't bother to tell any of you

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help