Remove this ad

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#81 [url]

Jan 21 17 11:21 PM

Essay Mod wrote:
PVP has generally hovered around "just barely good enough for me to never rag on it", but I think it handles the political stuff really with the current storyline, in which Cole's DnD game is blatantly an excuse for him to complain about politics. It's a nice little way of talking politics while making fun of itself for talking politics and annoying the shit out of people who just want a story.
I'll grant that I can actually see people upset by this election acting like crybabies in their gaming session like that. Is that the limit of how the author reacted, though?

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

FMan

Casual User

#83 [url]

Apr 30 17 4:34 PM

I realize this thread is kind of dead, but the latest satw is a real doozy (I'm just going to post the link and have a rundown since it takes me like 20 minutes to remember how to insert an image everytime I do it, even with the guides help) https://satwcomic.com/home-decorator

Basically it's a single panel, with America, Sister America, and Russia. Russia is moving an America themed armchair, America and Sister America are standing to his left. The dialogue is as follows

>Sister America: Why is Russia moving stuff around in our house? Aren't you going to stop him?
>America: Don't be silly. There's no Russia here. How would he even get in?
>Russia: I want your couch over by the door. Help me move it.
>America: Sure thing, boss!
>Sister America: *sigh*

It's actually really starting to piss me off how humon is pushing this stuff, and only about America. All their other comics about the other countries continue to be the usual light, "here's something funny that was on the news/from history" sort of stuff (except when it comes to brexit, actually), but every comic with America has to be about Trump and how he's a bigot, bumbling fool, or secretly controlled by Russia or whatever the smear du jour is.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#85 [url]

Apr 30 17 4:58 PM

a) Threads don't really die here, if there's something new and relevant, I imagine that's OK to post.

b) Well, they did give the Russians at the base advance notice to leave before the bombing started, so make of that what you will (Box Y - is collusion and putting it on for show: Box Z - avoiding bombing Russian troops is generally sensible policy if you don't want to create a level of conflict that presumably wasn't there previously ... Pick your box or nominate contents for Boxes A to X, I can't think of every possibility ...).

Quote    Reply   

FMan

Casual User

#86 [url]

Apr 30 17 5:00 PM

People are going to be calling Trump a Russian puppet until he's out of office, then the history books are going to start insinuating it. It's easy, impossible to disprove, and conjures up the image of a communist menace for the older generations, and a conservative, bigoted government for the younger. Even if we actually straight up went to war against Russia there would still be people saying it's because Russia told Trump to do it for whatever reason.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#87 [url]

Apr 30 17 5:09 PM

Well, there's still people who believe unironically that Barack Obama was born in Kenya or somewhere else not part of the US and/or that he's a Muslim. Hard if not impossible to disprove a negative. One of those crosses politicians of all stripes have to bear, I'm afraid.

Quote    Reply   

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#88 [url]

Apr 30 17 6:38 PM

Shan wrote:
Well, there's still people who believe unironically that Barack Obama was born in Kenya or somewhere else not part of the US and/or that he's a Muslim. Hard if not impossible to disprove a negative. One of those crosses politicians of all stripes have to bear, I'm afraid.

There are still people who believe that Jack Kennedy was assassinated by the CIA, despite all the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.  There are people who say that Fidel Castro was pushed into an alliance with the Soviet Union by American pressure, despite the fact that Fidel himself laughed at that claim.  Or that Idi Amin was a cannibal, despite the fact that in Africa, the term "Cannibal" actually means somebody who is particularly evil rather than one who eats human flesh.

Quote    Reply   

#90 [url]

May 1 17 4:12 AM

ya and the pettiness of it all is what gets the me most

Obama never had to face the same level of scrutiny.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

FMan

Casual User

#91 [url]

May 1 17 5:26 AM

The difference for Obama is that he had the support of the MSM, so all the crazy conspiracy theory stuff was rightly ridiculed, when it was talked about at all. With Trump, they'll take just about any excuse they can get to try and make him look bad, only changing the claims just enough so that they can't be seen as being libelous or slanderous. Basically, instead of getting articles like 'is Obama a secret muslim? Here's several ways that claim is total bull', you get 'is Trump secretly a Russian puppet? here's any possible connection to Russia we could find'.

Quote    Reply   

#92 [url]

May 1 17 5:49 AM

Agreed

But hey - the way they're going at it they'll just further alienate all the Trump voters, and get him another 4 years come 2021.

...and lets be honest, if Trump gets a second term then - dear gods - we will see some shit, because at that point he wont have to answer to anyone.

Quote    Reply   

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#94 [url]

May 2 17 3:14 PM

kyrtuck wrote:
Hey, why not?  Some people never stopped calling Obama/Hillary Muslim puppets, even though they started wars killing muslims.

So?  The biggest killer of Muslims by far are other Muslims.  The Islamic State is the worst place you can be if you're the wrong flavor of Muslim.

Quote    Reply   

#95 [url]

May 3 17 1:57 AM

Agreed.

But hey - if nothing else then the plus of this whole election cycle appears to be that with the rise of independent center and right leaning online media, then a shitload of US voters have become aware of just how nakedly biased and partisan mainstream media is

Quote    Reply   

kyrtuck

Heavy User

#96 [url]

May 4 17 6:20 AM

On an unrelated note....am I the only one getting tired of Brother America looking like Trump in SATW?  Once or twice as a gag would've been enough, but now I'm getting tired of it, even if Brother America was always supposed to represent Republicans/Conservatives.

Quote    Reply   

#97 [url]

May 4 17 9:15 AM

kyrtuck wrote:
On an unrelated note....am I the only one getting tired of Brother America looking like Trump in SATW?  Once or twice as a gag would've been enough, but now I'm getting tired of it, even if Brother America was always supposed to represent Republicans/Conservatives.

Humon is an SJW. But in the very light end of the spectrum - but ya, she's a 100% trump hater, and changed Brother America out of anger and frustration.

That her SATW comic never went full SJW is probably chiefly because she's managed to reign that stuff in. Well, until now

Quote    Reply   

#98 [url]

Jun 8 17 7:02 PM

When you're absolutely surrounded by people in your industry who not only follow but shape the party line, there's no way they'll allow you to rise if you're any different.

This works the same regardless of which side of the aisle you're seated on. And let's not pretend that the Left dominates all that many industries.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#99 [url]

Jun 8 17 7:32 PM

Destroyer wrote:

When you're absolutely surrounded by people in your industry who not only follow but shape the party line, there's no way they'll allow you to rise if you're any different.

This works the same regardless of which side of the aisle you're seated on. And let's not pretend that the Left dominates all that many industries.

Also, let's not the leanings of the people at the very top of the so-called Left dominated entertainment industry.

Does the name Steve Mnuchin (executive producer of Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman) ring a bell? Senior Marvel Executive Ike Perlmutter? (and so on)

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#100 [url]

Jun 8 17 7:40 PM

Long Tom wrote:

UglyHyena wrote:
Don't go generalizing, LongTom...

Back on topic, an artist I like made this:

http://kozispoon.deviantart.com/art/The-Murika-Revolutions-644656323

I think it does summarize the, uhmmm.... landscape seen after the elections.

There's violence from the anti-Trump crowd, yes, but it's not like 2000 where the loser demanded a recount.

Missed this one at the time but it's worth noting that the initial recount was automatically triggered under Florida state law because of how narrow it was so that first recount was happening no matter what anyone did or didn't say.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help