Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

Lead

Nov 15 16 1:23 PM

Tags : :

Would it be also OK to ask in this thread if anyone knows of any alternative forum platforms so we could at least have the option of discussing them (or have awareness of them for possible changes in the future) even if there are no immediate plans to change at this time?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

#1 [url]

Nov 15 16 2:01 PM

OK, I only now realise it might have been advisable to have started a new thread on this, I'll leave that up to you to decide. Still, *this* has been happening all day and this isn't the only day, so at least considering moving house so to speak should be on the agenda somewhere IMO.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#3 [url]

Nov 15 16 2:28 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
Like I told you in the other forum thread, that's something to bring up with Oddguy.

1) L'espirit d'escalier. What can I say? I think of what I should have said/done after I did it.

2) Didn't see what you said because straight afterwards, I tried to come back and edit it - and I couldn't get back in. Like to anything - at all.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#5 [url]

Nov 16 16 4:05 PM

To derail your derail: We're both men(?) of science. Have you tried analyzing forums as a sociological structure? It might make it more obvious why the one thing I actually enforce on a semi-regular basis is keeping people vaguely on-topic.

Forums are particularly interesting structures. Threads are (typically) single-subject discussions or single-item discussions that can last for years. Threads can also act like micro-cultures separate from the forum / subforum they're in. For example, Zoophobia and Goblins both have forum members who don't participate anywhere else. There are people in those threads who might not even read other threads and don't behave anything like the rest of the members.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

#6 [url]

Nov 18 16 6:07 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
To derail your derail: We're both men(?) of science. Have you tried analyzing forums as a sociological structure? It might make it more obvious why the one thing I actually enforce on a semi-regular basis is keeping people vaguely on-topic.

Forums are particularly interesting structures. Threads are (typically) single-subject discussions or single-item discussions that can last for years. Threads can also act like micro-cultures separate from the forum / subforum they're in. For example, Zoophobia and Goblins both have forum members who don't participate anywhere else. There are people in those threads who might not even read other threads and don't behave anything like the rest of the members.

My gender seems to vary depending on where I am on the Internet. Not that I do that on purpose (though I won't deny that when I work out what's going on, I do sometimes lean in and lean in hard for the comedy factor).

In this case, I basically went from, bringing it up about the forums itself, to then thinking, maybe actually starting an actual dedicated topic, then thinking maybe the thread about the bbc code was appropriate since it was related to the WYSIWYG interface on Yuku, then changing my mind, then changing my mind even more and going back to delete the posts but before I could, being locked out of loading the site for at least 2 days (I gave up trying to get back in after a few hours).

I noticed Zoophobia was its own subculture which the rest of us rarely went into and the rest of them rarely came out of it. I guess that makes it the Bio Dome of The Bad Webcomics Wiki. I wonder who's Pauly Shore?

Goblins seems to be a bit more of a hybrid as I think there's more people going in and out of that one.

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#7 [url]

Nov 18 16 10:00 PM

Shan wrote:
My gender seems to vary depending on where I am on the Internet. Not that I do that on purpose (though I won't deny that when I work out what's going on, I do sometimes lean in and lean in hard for the comedy factor).
My assumption was you were a non-confrontational man, probably in his mid-to-late 20s. It has no influence over how I interact with you, beyond my tendency to refer to you as "he".

Shan wrote:
I noticed Zoophobia was its own subculture which the rest of us rarely went into and the rest of them rarely came out of it. I guess that makes it the Bio Dome of The Bad Webcomics Wiki. I wonder who's Pauly Shore?
Basically. I only posted in there last week because I opened the thread on accident. It was obvious early on the discussion was not for me and I have no interest in what's going on in there. For all I know they're bicycle jousting or engaging in vampiric cannibalism or arms running. Outside of Sindy, I don't even think I've ever interacted with any other member from that thread. Maybe I've that guy with the Dick Tracy avatar pop up in another thread... not sure...

It's actually entirely normal for forums, particularly ones with larger populations or ones with more diverse subforums, to have several subcultures that not only have their own territories but who recognize it's going on. Whatever the forum is linked to tends to determine the dominant/default culture.

Shan wrote:
Goblins seems to be a bit more of a hybrid as I think there's more people going in and out of that one.
It does have more traffic, but its still got its own subculture. You may notice the things you feel like saying in there are completely different than in the rest of the forum.

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Last Edited By: SmashLampjaw Nov 18 16 10:03 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Sindy

Living Spambot

#8 [url]

Nov 18 16 10:09 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:

Outside of Sindy, I don't even think I've ever interacted with any other member from that thread. Maybe I've that guy with the Dick Tracy avatar pop up in another thread... not sure...

Lies.
thisgirl and Bert posted there too.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#9 [url]

Nov 18 16 10:27 PM

Sindy wrote:

SmashLampjaw wrote:

Outside of Sindy, I don't even think I've ever interacted with any other member from that thread. Maybe I've that guy with the Dick Tracy avatar pop up in another thread... not sure...

Lies.

Well, it's not like he's keeping close track everyone.

I, on the other hand ...

Quote    Reply   

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#10 [url]

Nov 18 16 10:33 PM

Sindy wrote:
SmashLampjaw wrote:
Lies.
Huh. If I ever knew knew that, I'd forgotten it.

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help