Remove this ad

M

Heavy User

Lead

Nov 20 16 12:59 PM

Tags : :

I imagine some of you are already thinking "Good Riddance".

Anyways. Title pretty much says it all. I used to lurk here for a long time because it gave me a lot of helpful writing tips. Eventually made an account to start trying to contribute.

Then I made the mistake of getting involved in the politics thread. I'm a pretty liberal guy, the majority of the long-time users here are pretty alt-right, it was obvious that I was just wasting my breath by trying to argue with anyone on anything.

So, I tried to stay off the politics threads and just lurk elsewhere around the site, but I've since realized that most of the threads I'm interested in seem to have increasing amounts of spillover from the politics thread, and that's true with most of the site.

​I guess I just don't have the patience to wade through all the political bullshit floating around these days.

Maybe I'll visit every once in a while if I'm looking for writing tips, but I can probably find those elsewhere.

So yeah. Enjoy your site.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

#5 [url]

Nov 20 16 10:25 PM

M wrote:
I imagine some of you are already thinking "Good Riddance".

Anyways. Title pretty much says it all. I used to lurk here for a long time because it gave me a lot of helpful writing tips. Eventually made an account to start trying to contribute.

Then I made the mistake of getting involved in the politics thread. I'm a pretty liberal guy, the majority of the long-time users here are pretty alt-right, it was obvious that I was just wasting my breath by trying to argue with anyone on anything.

So, I tried to stay off the politics threads and just lurk elsewhere around the site, but I've since realized that most of the threads I'm interested in seem to have increasing amounts of spillover from the politics thread, and that's true with most of the site.

​I guess I just don't have the patience to wade through all the political bullshit floating around these days.

Maybe I'll visit every once in a while if I'm looking for writing tips, but I can probably find those elsewhere.

So yeah. Enjoy your site.

I'm obviously part of the Left Faction here and for some time, I didn't realise (nor did it occur to me) that anyone here would be any different. That's actually turned out to be a good thing. I still have plenty of places where my people outnumber the Right 99 to 1 or more but here I can actually improve on presenting my arguments about what I believe in. It's like debate school that way.

Also, and this is important, we can mostly for the best part put it to one side and actually talk about webcomics. I've already gotten some excellent feedback which I have to sit down and study. Now, I could always have started a website and posted whatever I like but this is much better, I'm actually improving (even if slowly) in learning how to write. 

TL;DR - We don't have to all agree on everything and we can compartmentalise (and that's another thing I've been practicing).

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Nov 21 16 8:49 AM

M wrote:
I probably should. My friends tell me that most people don't think of themselves as useless, withdrawn fuckups.

Oh my, hon. That's awful. I had the feeling by some of your posts that you really weren't feeling ok. Like, you'd get angry or frustrated, then a few hours later you'd come back and apologize, like you were doing the best to stay calm but weren't able to. It may be the symptom of a strong depression... are you able to afford/search a psychiatrist?

Quote    Reply   

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

#7 [url]

Nov 21 16 10:05 AM

UglyHyena wrote:

M wrote:
I probably should. My friends tell me that most people don't think of themselves as useless, withdrawn fuckups.

Oh my, hon. That's awful. I had the feeling by some of your posts that you really weren't feeling ok. Like, you'd get angry or frustrated, then a few hours later you'd come back and apologize, like you were doing the best to stay calm but weren't able to. It may be the symptom of a strong depression... are you able to afford/search a psychiatrist?

I second that. While talking to other/friends can be beneficial, proffesional help can be more helpful then other peoples opinions or self diagonosis.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#8 [url]

Nov 21 16 10:17 AM

Having dealt with and done research projects in psychiatry/psychology, as general advice for anyone ever going down that route, take as much time doing as much research as you can to find a good and reputable practitioner in that department.

(I have a certain ... antipathy towards many of the people in that field.)

Quote    Reply   

Sindy

Living Spambot

#9 [url]

Nov 21 16 10:32 AM

Thirded.

Don't be too proud to seek help.

That aside, as one of the people you referred to, Imma say two things - we aren't as far-right as you think (hell, I'm voting liberal), and we, or at least I, don't want you gone.

That thread gets heated and everyone is venting, so it seems extremely toxic.

Anyway. Take some time off from the thread, take some time for yourself, and hope you'll be better.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Nov 21 16 11:27 AM

Nothing good ever comes out of discussing politics, because nobody will ever agree on anything, so I don't touch the stuff. Don't feel too bad about it and you don't have to leave.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

SmashLampjaw

Living Spambot

#11 [url]

Nov 21 16 4:54 PM

Pink Rabbit wrote:
Nothing good ever comes out of discussing politics, because nobody will ever agree on anything, so I don't touch the stuff.
I ban politics and religion discussions on any forum I'm an admin of where it's possible. Sadly, it's impossible here (and I lack the authority), since we're reviewing things that are often political.
M wrote:
I mean this as no insult, but if you're feeling worthless there is probably something grounded in reality to that. The positive side to being even partially right about that is you can diminish or eliminate those feelings it causes by changing.

You have a few options for accomplishing this.

The hardest one is self-improvement. Ideally, you need to find some marketable skill you have an improve it. The difficulty comes from the fact it's time-consuming and you'll be undermined by your current emotional state. The payoff is being rewarded financially for something you earned. It's like multiple layers of validation all at once.

The second one is to take pride in whatever work it is you do now. Everyone has limits on how much skill they can achieve, but there aren't hard limits on dedication and most people are lazy. This allows you to build a reputation and deserve it, which will also help.

The third option is the most accessible, but it doesn't have as much of a payoff as the other two. Find something constructive to create with your hands. It has to be something physical; it is much harder to convince yourself you've done anything it it only exists in a computer or on paper. It could literally be cleaning and organizing your surroundings, gardening, pretty much any craft... the nature of what you do is only limited to constructive things you can do with your hands that result in something different you can see.

If you're a gamer, you might realize all three of those things are represented in games in some way. You can get a temporary, fragile boost by playing a game that simulates one of the things I've mentioned. Pure skill games are rare; you're pretty much looking at Super Hexagon (reflexes) and Papers, Please (attention to detail). There are more than a few blindingly difficult games that require memorizing things and a number of exploration games that take thoroughness to complete, to fulfill the dedication route. There are also a staggering number of crafting, cleaning, and organizing games for the third option (I'd probably recommend Viscera Cleanup Detail, because it's a cross of #2 and #3 despite what its name implies). None of this will help you more than actually carving a block of wood or throwing out things you don't really need to increase how much free space is around you, but I don't know your situation.

Issues composing posts in Yuku's editor?  See this guide to using BBCode.

Quote    Reply   

Sindy

Living Spambot

#12 [url]

Nov 21 16 5:15 PM

As sad as it sounds, games are my coping mechanism. They work as long as you don't get competitive. So, try to avoid shooters and MOBAs. MMOs are good if you can keep yourself in check (I can't, I need my virtual penis competitions in WoW).Avoid player vs player or team anything - it will only make you feel worse.

Games with achievement systems give you some good "Hey I'm not total shit" points without having to finish the game.
Sandboxy games are good too.
Sims is mindless fun,

But they're temporary fixes.

PS: try to take magnesium or mineral supplements and drink plenty of liquids and get healthy amounts of sleep. Magnesium deficit causes the blues in a lot of people and it's not something a lot of people are aware of (I had it prescribed for depression and chronic fatigue). Also, if your blues are combined with fatigue and sluggishness, check your thyroid hormones.

Keep us updated.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Nov 21 16 6:22 PM

I second what Sindy says, I think what M needs first of all is professional help (and probably medications) to help him fix whatever chemical imbalance might be causing his problem, then it is a good idea to follow Smash's advice, once he is more stable mentally and physically, to avoid falling back into such state.

Also Shan, according to your 1984 comparison, would that mean John Solomon is Emmanuel Goldstein?

Last Edited By: UglyHyena Nov 21 16 6:58 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#14 [url]

Nov 21 16 8:01 PM

I have miuld depression myself and take medication for it.  Yes, professional help does work if you can find the right person, just as you need to find the right general practicioner, dentist, plumber, etc.

I've known other people with your problem on the internet.  One person ended up using St. John' Wort.  Dunno if it worked but at least he no longer complains of depression-to us, anyway.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Nov 21 16 8:06 PM

LongTom wrote:
One person ended up using St. John' Wort.

Ohh I tried that one! The problem is that you have to be very constant with it and take it for like 2 months or so to start seeing any changes, and my state was too bad for me to do that. Besides, I am not sure if it works on some people, but hey, it has no side effects I know of so it could be an alternative.

Quote    Reply   

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#16 [url]

Nov 22 16 3:01 AM

UglyHyena wrote:

LongTom wrote:
One person ended up using St. John' Wort.

Ohh I tried that one! The problem is that you have to be very constant with it and take it for like 2 months or so to start seeing any changes, and my state was too bad for me to do that. Besides, I am not sure if it works on some people, but hey, it has no side effects I know of so it could be an alternative.

That's the case with any medication at all.  It might work on some people but not others, or some people might be allergic to it.  Not everyone can take aspirin either-that's why there is Tylenol.

​BTW, the same person who is taking St. John's Wort had told us how suicidal he was and ready to destroy himself before.  He has told us implicitly that he doesn't want to hear about the election anymore.  (When you think about it, name any election at all where some people were unhappy with the results.)

Quote    Reply   

plarblman

Living Spambot

#17 [url]

Nov 22 16 6:01 AM

Ok I now have a chance to sit down and respond to this. M, I'm sorry you're going through hard times. If you feel that you need to stay away from the forums, take as long as you like. Even though I've been around a long time I'm not a moderator on the forums, though in the future I'll do what I can to make sure political discussions outside of the general topics board are kept to a minimum. Personally I'm not overly fond of politics myself, the only time I ever speak up about it is if it is on a topic that concerns me, usually having to do with sophistry or authoritarianism. In either case, I hope you do come back, as I've never enjoyed only speaking to people who agree with me. Being too comfortable in my own opinions, ironically, makes me uncomfortable.

Anyways, I see the others above me have given some good advice, but I'd like to offer some more, if you're still around: Keep yourself as occupied as possible, so that you don't have time to dwell on your own feelings. It's not a 100% effective solution, but it's a good start, especially in combination with the other suggestions above. Plan out your day and set goals for yourself. They don't have to be big, the point is to make yourself feel productive and that you're working towards a better situation. That certainly helped me get through Grad School when I was feeling the crunch and started to doubt whether anything I was doing was worth it.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#18 [url]

Nov 22 16 5:11 PM

I think is all a good demonstration of this place in general. We may have our differences, and they can sometimes be big fiery explosive differences but I don't think anyone takes it personally. So I think that's worth noting in any discussion you or anyone else has here, just in case any of us might feel otherwise after an exchange, chances are, they're actually not.

Quote    Reply   

Beardfist

Regular User

#19 [url]

Nov 24 16 1:38 PM

I was going to post this a couple days when it was perhaps more relevant, but the fucking login server wasn't functioning.

I think, if nothing else, the outpouring of advice and well-wishes you've seen here should show that, while a lot of these lads may be of a far different political bent--to the point of blades drawn, militantly scathing arguments as regards that--there is a real and genuine concern and appreciation for what you bring here, and a belief that by staying there's quite a lot more good to be had of it. The political season gets everyone's blood boiling, and for some the shifting of seasons can further agitate the problem. I've been so distracted with this shit, shifting between 4 jobs to one that finally pays well, and general laziness (mostly that) that I've gotten virtually nothing done on the creative level I desire. (And I still haven't made a wiki page for that stupid furry yiff comic.) So I know how these things in particular can get to someone, and if things are going on in your life above and beyond them, well! It's quite a lot to contend with. But I wouldn't go thinking that people here are to any regards eager to see you off, and I would suggest that you'd be making a mistake to retreat from the place.

If it frustrates you, taking a break never hurt anyone. But in so far as anonymous internet people can be friends, I think you're among pretty good chaps here. Indeed, just perusing through, there's quite a lot of takes and advice on how to help yourself feel better and progress--and I imagine you'd be hard-pressed to find that sort of candid empathy elsewhere. Especially elsewhere that has a political thread open! One thing that I've learned in talking politics over the years is that, ideally, it is in many ways like taking to a stage for a bout of improvisational comedy. You are still going up there to express yourself, and your performance is based around your experiences, knowledge, perspective--there's no script or paradigm to follow but what you provide. The scene can go in so many different ways and evoke so many different emotions, and you'll feel them to some degree honestly. But at the end of the skit, the actors go back into being their normal selves, perhaps having learned something new to take up the next time they need to improvise. (And then they all realize that they're going to die alone and drink themselves into the sorrowful stupor of theater studies majors.)

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Nov 26 16 7:09 PM

Man, I wonder how M is doing. I hope he is alright.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help