Remove this ad

Jacob Jones

Regular User

Lead

Dec 30 16 5:21 PM

Tags : : , , ,

Normally I tend to stay out of this part of the forums because I feel like covering a bad webcomic is a lot more exciting or interesting than finding a good webcomic. But for this one, I think i'll make a little exception.

Gwendoline is a webcomic about three metal singers and their daily escapades across the town. Now as you know, we have a webcomic currently in the running to be in our wiki called Love Metal; which also deals with the genre of metal. But where this one fails, this actually succeeds.

Why? Let me explain.

Unlike with Love Metal, this webcomic actually respect the genre of heavy metal and the personalities of heavy metal rockers. On stage, they portray themselves as anti-establishment, loud, tough and overall bad-ass. Off stage, they tend to pretty much tend to keep those same personalities; but are somewhat downsized to seem more realistic. This is in example of the characters, Gwendolyn, Banshee and Melanie. Now what you'll notice is that their colors represent the colors of the Powerpuff Girls, Kelly is red, Sheena is green and Melanie is blue. And their personalities seem to represent the personalities of the PPGs. Kelly is a leader and considered smart, Melanie is more easy-going and sensitive and Sheena is the tough girl who seems aggressive. Take with it what you will, but to me; it's a nice little tip-off to a popular cartoon show.

It helps that the art is really good. Character movements are realistic, but not stiff, facial expressions are also impressive and always stay consistent. It may look slightly anime-ish, but the faces do manage to show some great expressions. The art is also pretty creative, especially with the outfits of the main three characters. I also like that there is something that stands out for all of them. Kelly has a top hat, Sheena has her tank top and Melanie has her jacket.

The story structure seems to be decent enough too. Moving along smoothly to the next part, and carrying an equal balance from one story to another and giving them a conclusion. Sheena's story pits her with an accidental pervert of a fan (who turns out to be an actual pervert after all) and Kelly and Melanie spend the night across town, getting into trouble and stuff. I personally like Melanie and Kelly's story just a little better than Sheena's; there's just a certain chemistry between the two that makes them roll off of each other. That's not to say Gwendolyn's story is strong either, their both legitimately good.

In conclusion: Gwendoline may not be the greatest webcomic you'll read, but to me; it captures what heavy metal is like on and off the screen and to me is exactly what Love Metal should have been all along. Check it out if you want.

http://gwendoline.thecomicseries.com/comics/first/
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Dec 30 16 7:32 PM

Interesting if a bit too fanservice-y for my taste. But I wanna know how Kelly and Mel get out of this situation, so I'll follow it.

The artstyle is pretty interesting, and the characters manage to be likeable despite being absolutely chaotic.

My only complaint it that it is too new yet. Like, it only started this year, latest page was posted today.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help