Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

Lead

Jan 13 17 5:21 AM

Tags : :

I thought Lapse did some impressive work with their last few pages but this webcomic just kicks up at least another notch.

​It's a new webcomic but it's already completed one chapter and it's got really impressive art. Being in black and white really works for it, too.

​Basically, it seems to be a horror anthology - but the stories are connected to what I'm sure is going to be an overarching theme from what I'm seen so far and someone in the comments was spot on, it made them think of a Western Junji Ito. I guess that makes sense, not just from the creator using the name 'Rasen' in the comments section - the sequel to The Ring was called this (means 'spiral' in Japanese, Ito created "Uzumaki" = vortex.)

​Not as twisted as Ito's stuff so far but it's early days yet.

Read in the dark for maximum effect.

http://melvinastherapy.com/comic/1/
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

#2 [url]

Jan 14 17 1:33 AM

Extra creepy as story on the site (one-shot)

http://melvinastherapy.com/phasmatodea/

and if you want to see some of what Junji Ito's all about, you can google

The Enigma of Amigara Fault

Army of One (but add Junji Ito)

The Hanging Balloons

They're all hosted on Imgur (check to see if they're read right to left or left to right, I think they might vary.)

Warning, *highly* disturbing and hence not everyone's going to want to subject themselves to them ...

Quote    Reply   

Beardfist

Regular User

#3 [url]

Jan 14 17 8:20 PM

Horror comics never really clicked with me, for whatever reason. I've been trying to figure it out for a while. I like everything in the Enigma of Amigara Fault, for example, until the very last page. The 'reveal' that seems to come at the end of every horror strip always sortof spoils the atmospheric buildup that comes before it. I had the same problem with Uzumaki: no matter how disturbing the images were, or how nightmarish and haunting certain concepts were, I was always so much more into the mystery than the revelation. I think too often horror creators and writers write the reveal to bring our worrying and wondering to an end, whereas I like shit that's left completely unexplained (I know Uzumaki is left this way in a narrative sense, but I mean overall as a resolution to the dread of 'what comes next?'). But that's a very particular niche. One of the most haunting stories I've ever read is "The Hour After Westerly," a short about a guy who loses track of an hour of time and has no idea where he was or what he did with it. Not really a premise that would catch on with all too many people, I think.

That unrelated shit aside, I really really enjoy this comic. The art starts very solid, perhaps a little stiff, and then gets really, really good. It makes very good use of the color scheme it allows itself to have, has a great variety of poses and makes use of the infinite canvas in a way I find interesting. Storytelling and pacing seem pretty dope, and the spooky visuals--even if they still don't click with me--are legitimately disturbing. This goes in the 'actually want to read' bookmark folder, as opposed to the 'should probably read before complaining about something that gets fixed' one.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#4 [url]

Feb 1 17 3:04 AM

Well, the current page is such that if I opened my bedroom door and saw that, I'd be moving - like straight away.

Out the bedroom window if necessary.

No, I don't care how high up we are, either.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 1 17 8:42 AM

HONESTLY SAME.

Also I am familiar with Junji Ito's works... or at least some of the most famous ones, and indeed it reminded me a lot of them.
This person also seems to love horror movies so there is a lot of passion put into this project!

Last Edited By: UglyHyena Feb 1 17 9:35 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help