Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 7 17 11:13 PM

Tags : :

Hey gang

Any of you keeping tabs on the most recent 'plot developments' in the Questionable Content webcomic? I know its already been reviewed, but this latest arc... fuck me

It doesn't have anything to do with trans people or anything like that - but fuck me if the resolution to this arc doesn't just reek of shit writing and Jeph completely failing to produce a fulfilling resolution to the buildup

I am of course talking about the whole "the fat girl works at the robot pit fight, learns that her friend is there because the evil boss has blackmail on her, the blackmail is that the boss has encrypted some of robo-friend's memories (at robo-friends request because lol-robot-ptsd) but oh snap, the memories were in fact just deleted"

considering how much time and buildup there was to that revelation, then I consider that one of the most unsatisfying arcs jeph has shit out recently. IMO it also shits all over his own setting, I mean, has nobody heard of a fucking backup? Apparently not
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 8 17 10:53 PM

fuck me

I wrote all that stuff yesterday, thinking that Jeph was just being lazy

But today's update? http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3414

Every single robot-related plot thread wrapped up in a single page. Talk about ass-pull. I guess Jeph really didn't want to continue any of the robot-centric plots anymore.

I haven't seen story arcs wrapped up this quickly and this hackjoby since Star Wars Episode 3!

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Apr 17 17 6:32 PM

You know, that "one panel-one resolution" strip isn't the problem. At least each of those resolutions could be seen coming, although "Let's just give the building to the nice robot" is kind of cop-out -I mean, who died and made that RIB (Robot in Black) king? The memories being deleted is anticlimactic, but it was discussed as a very real possibility. Also, we all have a very good idea about what's in those memories. It's not like Bubbles is a blank character who "has some memories, but God knows what they are about." We know some terrible shit went down in a warzone, and it was either morally ambiguous or outright wrong.

The deleted memories are still a cop-out, though. Gives Bubbles a VERY convenient blank check to completely sever ties with the underground ring and Corpse Witch (ANY way Bubbles wants to), and it saves Jeph from having to come up with some past political/military story. You know, even if the memories were found intact, it would probably be best to not show to us what they were. That story would be so irrelevant to the comic, and QC already has a problem of "important stuff" lore and plots being in there without JJ thinking all the implications through. Like all these afterthought discussions of legal status of robots etc.

The sudden, ass-pull resolution didn't come then. It came when the RIB was introduced in the first place. Complete Deus ex machina. All-powerful organization, their motives are unknown, their means are unknown, how they noticed this plot and why they care is unknown, what the organization even is -unknown. They are just a plot device to be like, "Then some guy shows up and magically solves everything."

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 22 17 1:12 PM

Agreed - it was a big ol' asspull.

But who cares? the mentally handicapped robot can now join the rest of the cast as some kind of 'damaged' person - and bond with miss daddy issues over 'bad memories'

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

May 2 17 7:45 PM

webkilla wrote:
 the mentally handicapped robot can now join the rest of the cast as some kind of 'damaged' person - and bond with miss daddy issues over 'bad memories'

Yep, you called it. There's one other thing I thought might happen, but didn't want to assume. The past few strips I keep seeing signs of it, though. Looks like those two are gonna be a couple soon. I wouldn't assume that if this wasn't QC by JJ, simply because Faye is straight through and through. But well, I guess things are gonna change.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#7 [url]

May 2 17 7:56 PM

webkilla wrote:
sweet titty-fucking christ - 10K a month (minus patreon's 30% cut) - fucking hell

exterminatus when?

Patreon gets a 5% cut plus about 5% transaction fees.

Also, they've been reporting the figure you get after they deduct all that since late 2015.

So that's been between $9,500-$9,999 a month after all of that. Then there's advertising and all those other revenue streams separate from that too ...

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

May 4 17 1:37 AM

Shan wrote:

webkilla wrote:
sweet titty-fucking christ - 10K a month (minus patreon's 30% cut) - fucking hell

exterminatus when?

Patreon gets a 5% cut plus about 5% transaction fees.

Also, they've been reporting the figure you get after they deduct all that since late 2015.

So that's been between $9,500-$9,999 a month after all of that. Then there's advertising and all those other revenue streams separate from that too ...

Fucking hell

That is just sad. Well, if nothing else then he can probably afford a good therapist

I guess the only reason he doesn't just end the comic is because of that fat paycheck - but looking at the shitty plots and mini-arcs he's been running with recently? I think he's running out of ideas

I mean, pretty much everyone's issues have been resolved - and even tank-buster robo-girl is literally being helped to break out of her shell.

Maybe that's why we've seen so many new characters introduced over the last couple of months? To get some new drama into the story, since everyone else seems to have become basically just hipster normies that don't have any really noteworthy issues left in their lives.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

May 4 17 1:03 PM

webkilla wrote:
I guess the only reason he doesn't just end the comic is because of that fat paycheck - but looking at the shitty plots and mini-arcs he's been running with recently? I think he's running out of ideas

I mean, pretty much everyone's issues have been resolved - and even tank-buster robo-girl is literally being helped to break out of her shell.

Maybe that's why we've seen so many new characters introduced over the last couple of months? To get some new drama into the story, since everyone else seems to have become basically just hipster normies that don't have any really noteworthy issues left in their lives.

I agree. There hasn't been any plots about the many, many characters in the cast. It's down to Marten, Claire, Bubbles, Faye and Pintsize for gags. Dora and Hanners are just there for these guys to have someone to talk to, and they were pretty central characters. In fact, Hannelore's entire quirky character has been forgotten. I think it's not just running out of ideas. He found a couple of new ideas, mostly with the robot characters, and he focused on them almost to the point of exclusivity. For a slice of life comic with such a large cast, I really like the focus to switch between different characters more often, instead of months and months of focusing on the same 4-5 characters.

LICD was an even worse example of it for a long time (at least the entirety of 2016). It has a smaller cast than QC anyway, is much more focused on a single protagonist anyway, and then it forgot about most of the supporting cast. It had run out of ideas in an even more spectacular fashion. Several times it started a storyline, interrupted after 3-4 strips with ConTales or similar recurring feature, never to return to it. If it didn't abandon the storyline, it would just do 4-5 strips on it and give a half-assed "conclusion." It was abysmal. Thankfully, Ryan snapped out of it a couple months back, and I hope so will Jeph.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help