Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 6 17 11:46 AM

Tags : :

Okay, so I joined Tapastic recently to upload a webcomic I've been working on, and have been frequently checking out the Tapastic Home Page for comics to read. That's where I see a thumbnail for this comic: The Little Merman. And every time I see it, I either let out a loud "UUUUGGGGHHHHH" or mentally scream "WWWWWHHHHYYYY?!"

Let's talk fairytales for a second. They're public domain stories so any artist or writer can throw their hat in the ring when it comes to interpretations. Same goes for Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid. I've seen good retellings, I've seen bad retellings, but this one takes the cake for me in terms of sheer frustration.

My problem with the Little Merman is not that it's retelling Hans Christian Andersen's story (despite what it claims), but because it's a retelling/shameless-rip-off of the Disney movie!

UUUGGGGHHHHHH!

It's like the creator said "hey, what if I changed Ariel's gender from the Disney movie? That would totally make it an original concept, right? RRIIIIGGGHHHTTTT?!" But, from the 6 some pages that are posted, that's pretty much all they did. (That and replacing Flounder with one of Ariel's sisters, who can teleport between the palace and the sunken ship.) THEY DIDN'T EVEN CHANGE ARIEL'S NAME FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! THIS IS BORDERLINE PLAGERISM!

We don't know what gender the Prince will be, but if I've learned anything from Tapastic, they love BL comics, so I'm betting Eric will remain the exact same. So, in other words, this comic is/will be a word-for-word retelling of the Disney movie, except the leading lady is a dude now.

THIS IS SO LAZY, IT HURTS!

Say what you will of Tsubomi Blue Dreams, say what you will of Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch (and I do, with pleasure), but at least THOSE dumb retellings had the originality to come up with their own characters/character designs and plot elements! THIS COMIC IS COPYING THE DISNEY MOVIE, RIGHT DOWN TO THE MARKETING PICTURES, AND CALLS IT A DAY.

And this comic has 809 Subscribers.

Why.

What is wrong with humanity.

UUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH...!

Last Edited By: SpazzticBunnyhood Mar 6 17 12:28 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Mar 9 17 11:00 AM

Jacob Jones

Long Tom wrote:
Another "Project 2nd", evidently.

[left]No, man. That's not a Project 2nd.

​At least this one LOOKS like it was drawn.

Touche. Still--similar in principle.

kyrtuck wrote:
So its like a word for word ripoff of the Disney movie's script?  Shit-damn that is lazy!

I know! >.< How is it so popular?![/left]

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Mar 13 17 1:04 PM

Thought maybe Ursula would get genderbent too.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

ohitsyou

Forum Leech

#9 [url]

Mar 13 17 1:12 PM

I think the worse part, to me, is the fact the author could not be bothered to change Ariel's name to a boys name. I mean, why not call him Aryan...er...Aaron. It would make more sense.

Also, dosent rule 63 Ariel look like a pallete swap of Disney's Alladin?

Quote    Reply   

FMan

Casual User

#10 [url]

Mar 13 17 2:46 PM

Ariel is actually a male hebrew name (it means lion of god), so while it might be best known as a female name for you, it is also a male name. Not to say it isn't lazy as all get out to just keep the name as Ariel.

Quote    Reply   

ohitsyou

Forum Leech

#11 [url]

Mar 13 17 3:15 PM

FMan wrote:
Ariel is actually a male hebrew name (it means lion of god), so while it might be best known as a female name for you, it is also a male name. Not to say it isn't lazy as all get out to just keep the name as Ariel.

Oh, did not know that.

Quote    Reply   

thisgirl

Regular User

#12 [url]

Mar 14 17 12:03 AM

To be fair, there are probably hundreds if not thousands of webcomics ripping off of popular Disney movies especially the most popular ones like Alice in Wonderland and Little Mermaid. Throw in some BL and it's an easy grab at favorites. 

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Mar 14 17 5:40 PM

Pink Rabbit wrote:
Thought maybe Ursula would get genderbent too.

[left]
They couldn't be bothered to change Ariel's name. I seriously doubt that they would through the effort of genderbending Ursula.

ohitsyou wrote:

FMan wrote:

[left]Oh, did not know that.

Me neither, but I think I'm still going to dock it points for that. I mean, even if we don't assume that Disney's the Little Mermaid takes place in Denmark, it's still CLEARLY not set in the Middle East.
thisgirl wrote:
To be fair, there are probably hundreds if not thousands of webcomics ripping off of popular Disney movies especially the most popular ones like Alice in Wonderland and Little Mermaid. Throw in some BL and it's an easy grab at favorites.

Ugh, really bothers me how true that is... =___=

On the other hand, I've recently found a really cool/original Alice in Wonderland retelling (which appears on the surface to be nothing more than a genderbend retelling, but then when you look closer, it isn't).

EDIT: Also, apparently the quoting format hates me. XD[/left][/left]

Last Edited By: SpazzticBunnyhood Mar 14 17 5:44 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Mar 22 17 3:54 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
If this were long enough to review, I'd definitely support that.
SpazzticBunnyhood wrote:
EDIT: Also, apparently the quoting format hates me. XD

Check out the link in my signature.

Thank you. Annnnddd, I feel like an idiot now. XD

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help