Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 22 17 4:52 PM

Tags : : , ,

For many years, I was a reader of Misfile. Like, not a hyper fan, but I did keep up to date with it for quite a while. I picked it up back when I didn't know what quality was, and since it took me three days to get caught up with it at the time I first read it, I mainly kept reading out of habit. Looking back, the comic was dumb, but there were one or two moments that I did geniunely enjoy, and I did like one of the characters (forget his name, but he was the brother of the chain-smoker angel guy).

But, as the title suggests, I stopped reading it. There was a story arc that happened that literally would have been a perfect place to end the plot, but they instead completely ignored the obvious solution in favour of churning out more pointless filler. It was around two or three years ago when I rage quit, so this rant will be based on memory. That's what I would like to rant about today, because I've been sitting on this for a while, and I just wanna get it off my chest. Plus, there's already an article written about it, so I'll basically be preaching to the choir. Also, since I quit out of frustration some years back, I really don't want to go digging through the archives to link to specfic pages. You'll just have to take my word for it.

For those of you who don't know, the premise of Misfile is that an incompitant Angel-Dude got kicked out of heaven for being terrible at his job. But just before he was fired, he accidentally changed the main character's gender from a boy to a girl, and completely erased two/three years off of this other girl's life (via "misfiling"). The story is about getting the Angel-Dude to do enough "good deeds" to get back into heaven so he can right the wrongs he made, and everyone will live happily ever after. Keep the bold stuff in mind, folks, because I'm going to be coming back to it.

Now, onto the story arc I was talking about. So, the main characters meet a racing kid (because our Ex-Man likes car racing) who is diagnosed with cancer or some other fatal illness. Basically, this guy has only two or three years to live, tops. (Or months. My memory's foggy on the details.) Our Ex-Man is like "hey! this is the perfect opportunity to do a good deed!" and, while the Angel-Dude is hestitant, he agrees to heal Cancer-Kid. They meet up with Cancer-Kid, finding that he had lost all his hair due to kemotherapy or something. They tell the Cancer-Kid that the Angel-Dude can heal him, and at first the Cancer-Kid doesn't buy it (after being to other spiritual healings that didn't work), but then shuts up when Angel-Dude sprouts wings in front of him, and heals him with a single touch. (Doesn't get the hair back, though, which you'd think the Angel-Dude would be able to fix, but whatever.) After a moment of being dazed, Cancer-Kid snaps to his senses and says to Angel-Dude that "you gotta come with me to the hospital! There are, like, 13 other people there with the exact same condition!" At this the Angel-Dude gets all hestitant and is like "you know, this is why I didn't want to heal him in the first place", and the Cancer-Kid storms off in a huff. Next day, we find out from Cancer-Kid's girlfriend that Cancer-Kid is refusing to go to the hospital to see his friends after the encounter with Ex-Man and Angel-Dude, and...for some reason the GF assumes that Ex-Man slept with Cancer-Kid and that's why he's all ashamed. The story arc ends pretty much on that note, and then proceeds to a story arc where Ex-Man has a spa day with his/her GF (the girl mentioned in the previous paragraph).

Um. I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS. Remember how the entire premise of the comic was getting Angel-Dude to do enough good deeds to get back into heaven? HE WAS JUST GIVEN THE PERFECT OPPORTUNITY TO DO SO. Since the comic (from memory) will let him back into heaven based on the number of good deeds he does, why doesn't he go to the hospital and heal all those people with that illness? Heck, why not just camp out in the hospital indefinitely and heal every single person who walks through the door? Sure, revealing yourself might be a bit of a risk, but Angel-Dude is an ANGEL! He has supernatural powers! Can't he just turn invisible or something?

And the thing is, this is a win-win situation, no matter how you look at it. If he heals everybody in the hospital, good or bad, each healing will count as a good deed. Even if healing the bad people causes them to continue to be bad (like healing a mob-boss's gunshot wound and then he goes out to cause more crimes), then that'll be A: counter-balanced by all the grandmothers he's healing, and B: will definitely get the attention of God and other higher-up angels. Even if he heals every single person in the hospital, INCLUDING THE STAFF, word will get out to the world that "hey, there's this one random hospital that has had miracle healings for every patient, so we should take our dying-grandpa there". In other words, he will NEVER run out of people to heal because people would come far and wide JUST to get healed at this hospital! It'd only be a matter of time before the authorities in heaven call him back up and give him his job back.

Now you may hypothetically ask "what if all that mass-healing was seen as a negative and caused too much of an effect on fate/destiny/whatever? Wouldn't he be called back to heaven just to get him to stop causing trouble and make him a janitor or something?" To that, I say the main point of the premise was to get Angel-Dude back into heaven. In an earlier chapter, Angel-Dude even asked his brother if there was a way to break in. Even if, after excessive miracle healings, he assigned to working as a plumber or something, he still ended up in heaven. So there's nothing stopping him from doing a Solid-Snake mission into his previous workplace, secretly fixing the mistakes he made, and then sneaking back out again and resuming his other job like nothing happened. BAM! Problem solved!

But no. Instead, we're subjected to ex-man going to a spa and s/he's tooottallllyyy embarassed because spas are such a girly thing to do! Tee hee hee~

I'm sorry, but no. No, Misfile. I can put up with a lot of stupid stuff, but not this.

And just so someone doesn't say "oh, but the creator probably has an ending for the series down the line, and a lot more plotpoints to explore", I say no. I might buy that argument with Gunnerkrigg Court, but not with Misfile. This is the comic that's been updating daily for years without any real breaks--ergo, it's SUPER SUPER LONG ALREADY. If the story had ended here, it STILL wouldn't have been soon enough.

Whew. There. Glad that's out of my system. Thank you for reading, and I hope that the actual ending the series comes out with is a lot stupider than my ending. Because REALLY.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

kyrtuck

Heavy User

#1 [url]

Mar 23 17 5:54 AM

I haven't read the series, but I heard there was something about the Ex-man having turned out to be a woman all along, and the real misfile was of having fake memories of being a man?

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 23 17 10:37 AM

kyrtuck wrote:
I haven't read the series, but I heard there was something about the Ex-man having turned out to be a woman all along, and the real misfile was of having fake memories of being a man?

*bangs head against wall*

Of course. Of COURSE that's how it plays out. It's not like Misfile had the intelligence to end the story with the curing of the cancer patient. Let's just throw that EXTREMELY CONVENIENT monkey wrench into the mix!

I remember reading on a fan wiki for Misfile many years ago that they noted that pretty much all the fans shipped Ash (Ex-Man) and Emily (Girl who lost 3 years) together, but they were split on whether or not Ex-Man should turn back into a guy or not. WHELP, THAT PRETTY MUCH ANSWERS THAT QUESTION. Let's just sweep the ethical dilemma of a person having their gender changed against their will, and whether or not they should change back, under the rug while we're at it. Because that's the way it "always was".

Speaking of which, where was THAT story? Where was the story of young Ex-Man/Ex-Woman adjusting to becoming a man? Why was THAT story just kept in silence and ignored while this one was the one worth telling? What? Because they couldn't get enough fanservice out of it? I mean, you're telling me that Ex-Man/Ex-Woman just silently went along for the ride when transforming into a dude while he/she put up such a big fuss about becoming a woman again? Isn't that sexist in itself??

Before I was just frustrated; now I'm mad. I mean, one of the key plot points was that Ex-Man used to be a man and was uncomfortable with being a woman. And they milked that sucker for all it was worth. They milked that sucker for every dime. But now they don't even have to account for ANY OF THE QUESTIONS THEY THEMSELVES RAISED about the issue.

MISSSFFFIIILLLLLEEEE!!!

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 27 17 12:33 AM

ya I get that kind of bullshit

I would actually argue that some good writing could have explained the situation - like, angel-tard could have argued "If I do something too high-profile the media will catch on to me, which is a nono"

but IIRC, from what very little I read of the comic years ago, then that aspect is never ever addressed in the comic.

Quote    Reply   

ohitsyou

Living Spambot

#4 [url]

Mar 27 17 6:21 AM

SpazzticBunnyhood wrote:

kyrtuck wrote:

*bangs head against wall*

Of course. Of COURSE that's how it plays out. It's not like Misfile had the intelligence to end the story with the curing of the cancer patient. Let's just throw that EXTREMELY CONVENIENT monkey wrench into the mix!

I remember reading on a fan wiki for Misfile many years ago that they noted that pretty much all the fans shipped Ash (Ex-Man) and Emily (Girl who lost 3 years) together, but they were split on whether or not Ex-Man should turn back into a guy or not. WHELP, THAT PRETTY MUCH ANSWERS THAT QUESTION. Let's just sweep the ethical dilemma of a person having their gender changed against their will, and whether or not they should change back, under the rug while we're at it. Because that's the way it "always was".

Speaking of which, where was THAT story? Where was the story of young Ex-Man/Ex-Woman adjusting to becoming a man? Why was THAT story just kept in silence and ignored while this one was the one worth telling? What? Because they couldn't get enough fanservice out of it? I mean, you're telling me that Ex-Man/Ex-Woman just silently went along for the ride when transforming into a dude while he/she put up such a big fuss about becoming a woman again? Isn't that sexist in itself??

Before I was just frustrated; now I'm mad. I mean, one of the key plot points was that Ex-Man used to be a man and was uncomfortable with being a woman. And they milked that sucker for all it was worth. They milked that sucker for every dime. But now they don't even have to account for ANY OF THE QUESTIONS THEY THEMSELVES RAISED about the issue.

MISSSFFFIIILLLLLEEEE!!!

Have you thought of requesting to add more to the review? Misfiles review itself is pretty barebones, and I dont know if the original author is even on these forums any more. Also, you seem to know a lot about Misfile and have written reviews before.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Mar 27 17 9:09 AM

kyrtuck wrote:

That was a popular fan theory that happened to be totally compatible with the rest of the series, but apparently the author denied it for the most implausible "retroactively turned into a woman"/because gender bending. A shame, because that could've been a more interesting twist and would avoid the tired "gender bender" tropes about how in the end, it's more or less permanent.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#6 [url]

Mar 27 17 4:05 PM

American Dork wrote:

kyrtuck wrote:

That was a popular fan theory that happened to be totally compatible with the rest of the series, but apparently the author denied it for the most implausible "retroactively turned into a woman"/because gender bending. A shame, because that could've been a more interesting twist and would avoid the tired "gender bender" tropes about how in the end, it's more or less permanent.

There's a Japanese manga and anime (of course there is) which predates Misfile that has this exact same plot twist.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#7 [url]

Mar 27 17 4:49 PM

Now, as for the rest, funnily enough I just went back to reading Misfile after more than a year, so having caught up on the backlog, I think I've read the whole thing (3,000 pages as of about the 20th of July 2016 and updates 5 times/week).

A quick couple of things, an angel publically going around healing people left right and centre healing people isn't really a good deed. Centuries if not millennia of religious debate has been centred around the debate over why God just doesn't end suffering on Earth with a metaphorical wave of the hand. One reason it really isn't is because obviously if there's unambiguous proof that God exists, people are going to believe he exists and I believe there's a whole thing about free will and people finding their way to that conclusion which absolute proof of God's existence gets in the way of, being that proof eliminates the need for faith.

Also, just refer to the main character as Ash, it's less letters and characters to type, for starters (they're named after the lead character in Evil Dead).

Quote    Reply   

drisko

Regular User

#8 [url]

Mar 28 17 2:12 AM

kyrtuck wrote:

Nah, that was a fan theory that a lot of fans latched onto and insisted was canon, even though the author said time and again that wasn't the case.

So I used to be a fan of the comic, or moreso a fan of what it could have been. There was an attempt to make it an anime that fixed some of the problems and it sounded interesting, but that fell through. The reason I stopped reading was when that guest writer for Webcomic Overlook reviewed the arc in the twelfth book and it made me realise how pointless the whole thing had gotten.

The problem with the comic is that it's suppose to end when Ash, the main character, graduates high school, but started when he was a Junior, so the comic is supposed to take place over 16 months or so. But Chris, the author, very clearly has nothing planned out besides that. Bunnyhood mentioned the good deed thing, but in the comic it's explicitly stated that the only good deeds that have counted so far are the two exorcisms the stoner angel has performed. Anything else is "Just stuff you're supposed to do" and don't contribute to his sentence. Ash has said a few times he's going to do whatever he can to get the angel back in to heaven, except that he can't. No one can until they find another ghost thing to exorcise. And the ending has been telegraphed for years, there's a side plot where angels are getting killed and there's some issue with Heaven... that started back in 2007. It's so obviously going to be how the angel gets back into heaven and it's been teased for nearly a decade. 

Besides that stuff, there's no real story because a big part of Ash's character is a stubborn refusal to change because he thinks it's accepting the situation, except he does nothing but whine and complain, so we get Ash learning the same lessons over, and over, and over again. And every time a new, potentially interesting arc is introduced... it's pushed away immediately. Ash gets a girlfriend named Missi, they quickly break up and we're told they'd been together for weeks and he does really like her, but it's never shown. A fan favourite, Kate, is getting married and gets Ash to be the maid of honour, but all Ash has to do is buy a dress and show up to the wedding. Then Kate is nine months pregnant out of nowhere, despite never showing before, and gives birth. And Ash is made the godmother, but his life changes in no way. Even the second main character, Emily, barely does anything and is constantly overshadowed by Ash. 

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Mar 29 17 3:07 AM

Rabid fans of gender bend comics and whatnot tend to be... well... rabid

I mean, just look at the Steven Universe fandom - every single character in that show has a rich fanon about their sexuality, gender(s) and what labyrinthine ships they are part of - and nobody gives a fuck what the actual makers of the show think

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Mar 30 17 9:10 PM

Huh, I take a break from this forum for a bit, and all of a sudden there are more posts on this thread. XD

I am glad that the plot twist about the gender-bend being a gender-bend of the original gender-bend does make me feel better. So Misfile DOES have some credibility in that regard.

If I were to add onto the Misfile review, I'd just add my little rant tacked on somewhere. And even then, I'd probably have to dig through the archives and find pages where such things are mentioned. As made evident by other commentors, I'm pretty foggy on a lot of the details (I completely forgot about the missing AKA dead angels thing). I would probably need someone like Shan's help too.

Speaking of which, if healing people left and right doesn't count (which, come on, it's Misfile--it's too stupid to take the other stuff into consideration), and the weird exocism thing IS how Angel-Dude is supposed to earn their way back, then why don't they ask Satan's Daughter to introduce them to some sort of cult full of demon-possesed people?

I guess the main issue with Misfile is the same issue I had with Gunnerkrigg Court recently--they go on for far too long. (My friend pointed out that Gunnerkrigg Court has been going on longer than the Harry Potter books.) And, yes, Gunnerkrigg Court is WAAAAYYYY better than Misfile. But with Gunnerkrigg I just woke up one day and realized I didn't care. If I really wanted to find out what happened to the characters I had grown attached to, I could just make up my own ending in my head, and get on with my life. It would take less time and effort that way.

I mean, some of the best stories out there are stupidly long too, but what makes a long story good is that it doesn't feel like it's wasting your time. And, I get it--filler sometimes needs to happen, but there's a time and place for it. It shouldn't take up 50+% of the entire plot. :|

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

#11 [url]

Mar 30 17 9:21 PM

Well, generally I don't see a problem with adding to the Misfile review. When I first came here, even though the Exiern review was written in 2013, it didn't cover anything past the earliest days of 2008. So, after I got permission, I brought it up to date (which was late 2015 at the time).

So, if one or some or you bring it up and get mod approval to do so (important point) then provided your modifications are approved, then they can be added.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Apr 3 17 5:31 PM

The author could easily put in the simple context of why the angel didn't help Cancer dude. The simple context is there is a balance between order and chaos, good and evil, the sick and the healthy. If god just came down and helped everyone then what would be the point of order? I like to think that the devil and the lord basically made a deal to have the perfect reality honestly for this. Devil gets to do some shit to cause shit to happen and God gets to do some good shit that causes good things to happen to set things in motion.

TL;DR: Theory of Relatively and cause and effect probably would be a great thing but the Author is an idiot.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#14 [url]

Apr 3 17 5:50 PM

If this ever comes around to being updated, I want to contribute some input given I've read the whole thing.

"I am glad that the plot twist about the gender-bend being a gender-bend of the original gender-bend does make me feel better. So Misfile DOES have some credibility in that regard."

Like I said before, this exact same thing has been done before by the Japanese (of course it has) in both manga and anime form which finished before Misfile even started. So that, if nothing else would block that avenue off if for no other reason than being a knockoff.

"The problem with the comic is that it's suppose to end when Ash, the main character, graduates high school, but started when he was a Junior, so the comic is supposed to take place over 16 months or so. But Chris, the author, very clearly has nothing planned out besides that."

Well, I think it's how he makes his living. Just from the Patreon, it's currently $132/page and there's about 22 pages a month.

https://www.patreon.com/misfile

Even if people have caps on their total a month, I'd be estimating around $2000/month minimum, probably more. Add to that the pins he sells, the Paypal donation buttons, the occasional Kickstarter, merchandise and advertising, I wouldn't be surprised if relatively speaking among webcomic authors, he's doing quite well, all things considered.

I can certainly understand keeping it going if the income is what you have to live off.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#17 [url]

May 14 17 9:12 PM

I think it was Misfile that led me to here (how I got to Misfile is a whole separate story). I think I read the archives a couple of times but stopped about a year ago or so. Then I caught up, I'm currently up to date. There's certainly lots of things I think are issues with it but I generally don't have strong views either way about it.

Then something like this happens.

(edit: link changed - I was referring to this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/683971833/color-the-gray-misfile-and-6gun-mage-art-book/posts/1883160 which is one of thesehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakimakura)

I might be understating things just a bit but it's not just me who finds this just a bit problematic, is it?

Last Edited By: Shan Jun 4 17 3:23 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#18 [url]

May 14 17 10:27 PM

I suppose I should mention that it was "Boston And Shaun" that brought me here.  I did see that comic because author Shaun Reveal used to be a reader of "Newshounds" along with me, but when I looked at his webcomic, it seemed so odd to me.  Reading the review here explained it all to me.  And Shaun Reveal (now long gone) seemed like such a nice person too.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#19 [url]

Jun 4 17 3:07 PM

Latest news.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/683971833/color-the-gray-misfile-and-6gun-mage-art-book?ref=nav_search

Under normal circumstances, I'd say it's definitely not going to make it but it's Kicktraq profile is weird. Just as you think it's levelling off, it surges again.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/683971833/color-the-gray-misfile-and-6gun-mage-art-book/

The one thing I want to bring up here is that the lead character from Misfile, Ash looks like their upper body is on a much larger lower body than they actually have when drawn ... well anywhere else I've ever seen them. Even in the background of this actual cover. Anyone else find this ... perplexing?

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help