Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

Lead

May 12 17 8:32 AM

Tags : :

I've been wondering, Kraken ... what else do you read (for genuine fun, I hope ... ?).
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Kraken

Forum Leech

#1 [url]

May 12 17 12:50 PM

Shan wrote:
I've been wondering, Kraken ... what else do you read (for genuine fun, I hope ... ?).

Hmm... let's see... it;'s not a complete list, but it gives you an idea:
OLD FLAMES (Comics I started reading a long time ago and still have affection for, flaws and all):
Sluggy Freelance, Penny Arcade, Girl Genius, Order of the Stick, Achewood

CURRENT FAVES (the ones I look forward to the most, even though some update sporadically)
Kill Six Billion Demons, Darths & Droids, Gunnerkrigg Court, Supernormal Step, Power Nap

GOOD FOR A LOOK (I check in on these every so often for fun)
Manly Men doing Manly Things, Rusty & Co., Hamlet's Danish

WANT TO MAKE TIME FOR THESE (I'm not caught up, but I've read enough to know I want to give these more of a try):
Atomic Robo, The Meek, Mare Internum, Thunderstruck, Miss Melee

STRANGELY INTRIGUING (I wouldn't defend the quality, but these comics are trying something I'm interested to watch unfold)
Flipside, Strong Female Protagonist

SHEER MORBID CURIOSITY (speaks for itself)
Goblins, Dresden Codak

SOD OFF (used to follow these, not even any amusement value left)
Sinfest, Questionable Content, whatever that thing Dave Willis is doing right now

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#2 [url]

May 12 17 5:27 PM

For a moment there, I thought the capitalised names were the names of webcomics and I'm wondering "Why have I never heard of these?"

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#3 [url]

May 12 17 10:34 PM

Well, there I was thinking that I didn't specifically have to mention "Thank goodness you're not just hate reading Goblins but also stuff you actually enjoy."

Shows what I know and have learned in my time here.

Quote    Reply   

Kraken

Forum Leech

#4 [url]

May 13 17 8:10 PM

Shan wrote:
For a moment there, I thought the capitalised names were the names of webcomics and I'm wondering "Why have I never heard of these?"

I think "Sheer Morbid Curiosity" would be a great name for a webcomic!

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

May 30 17 7:53 AM

Oh boy, I get what you mean. I have read my fair share of Zootopia fan comics and they are a never-ending well of cuteness, tragedy, overly romantic moments and (in the best case) kickass police stories with hilarious comedy and touching moments. But most never stop or get anywhere and it consumes your soul trying to wait for something good to happen when the only thing that got you into them were the characters and the setting of the film. Even the good ones are not exempt from overly long plots (the comic based on the concept art and dark plot was thousands of pages long and multiple artists), and after a while of lurking the webs looking for more good comics I broke down and couldn't take it anymore. Ever since I ignore anything that is more than a single image of Zootopia lest I fall down the rabbit (and fox) hole again, but the urge is still there because I love that movie (damn it Disney, why is it so good?).

On a more related note, I'm keeping up with a webcomic called Out of Placers which I think has potential. Anyone else knows about it?

Last Edited By: Charles Chroniel May 30 17 8:37 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

May 30 17 7:46 PM

FernandoLemon wrote:
"it consumes your soul trying to wait for something good to happen"
That was me watching The Haunting of Sunshine Girl. Anyone else know that series?

Never heard of it but a quick google search revealed to me its an ongoing tv show from 2010, which means it would take weeks of non-stop watching before I can scratch its bottom. Truely, tv archives are for time travelers nowadays.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

May 31 17 5:35 PM

Actually, it was a YouTube series. I managed to watch that many episodes because they're short. They're never longer than 3 minutes.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

May 31 17 6:06 PM

FernandoLemon wrote:
Actually, it was a YouTube series. I managed to watch that many episodes because they're short. They're never longer than 3 minutes.

Oh, maybe I confused my search with another of similar inquiry. I confess I didn't look too much into it so any misinformation is entirely my fault. But that aside, 3 minutes doesn't give much room for a deep experience, is the show really good?

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jun 1 17 5:11 PM

The premise is as follows. Sunshine (MC) and her mom move into a new house. Sunshine thinks it's haunted. She looks up information and gives the viewers a tour (it's filmed in a vlog style). Then some paranormal stuff happens; but by that point 30 episodes or so have passed.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jun 1 17 11:14 PM

Charles Chroniel wrote:
Oh boy, I get what you mean. I have read my fair share of Zootopia fan comics and they are a never-ending well of cuteness, tragedy, overly romantic moments and (in the best case) kickass police stories with hilarious comedy and touching moments. But most never stop or get anywhere and it consumes your soul trying to wait for something good to happen when the only thing that got you into them were the characters and the setting of the film. Even the good ones are not exempt from overly long plots (the comic based on the concept art and dark plot was thousands of pages long and multiple artists), and after a while of lurking the webs looking for more good comics I broke down and couldn't take it anymore. Ever since I ignore anything that is more than a single image of Zootopia lest I fall down the rabbit (and fox) hole again, but the urge is still there because I love that movie (damn it Disney, why is it so good?).

On a more related note, I'm keeping up with a webcomic called Out of Placers which I think has potential. Anyone else knows about it?

Love Out of places - such an original and interesting setting. A shame it doesn't update more frequently, but the artist also has an ongoing comic version of "The lusty argonian maid" on the artist's dA page. It is hilarious and awesome

As for good zootopia fanfictions, then I have actually compiled a google doc with a master list of all the stuff I've read: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rMJOqHn7V3pf3WUK6hwdEQwacDHDPS-OwYmS0FKCqEI/edit?usp=sharing - anything marked as (læst) means I have read it. The bottom ones is the smut collection, haven't read most of those. But every story in that list is worth reading.

some of the non-smut stories get a little dark, others get really sappy, while one of them reads more like House set in Zootopia, which is awesome.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jun 2 17 2:28 PM

My only issue with Out of Placers is that is one of those "practice comics" in which the author is learning the trade as they go. This is not necessarily a bad thing but it does detriment the comic in its potential to foreshadow or at least present richer details in each page. An example of this is Val's current problem with human proportion and physiology: while there is some degree of difference between most human characters, there is still a lack of detailing that would make them individuals with a unique presence, which means they all linger too close to the same-face syndrome (if you ever saw the human version of Lopin you may have noticed it looks like Ran just cosplayed as Lopin). This prevents each human character to be distinguished by anything else than their color and clothing, and that is a bit troublesome since Val has gone a long way mastering any other specie to the point we can tell Yinglets and Baxxids from one another, so humans don't get to have the same presence as them despite being an important faction. That's why I get the feeling that once Val gets to master his drawing the story will go up to eleven, because he already knows how to build a world and interesting characters with a good conflict, we just need a high definition perspective of it all to further immerse ourselves in the events that are happening or may happen.

By the way, I checked that list of yours, thanks for the suggestions but I don't feel like I have time to invest myself on zootopia fanfics at the moment, I'm still drained from the last time I did. I'll keep it in mind though.

Quote    Reply   

plarblman

Living Spambot

#15 [url]

Jun 2 17 5:17 PM

I wish I read more, but lately I've been getting more into audiobooks as it's just easier for me since there are lots of times where I could easily listen to something instead of reading a book, like commuting. I finished the LOTR trilogy not too long ago (each book clocks in at roughly 20+ hours) and a short while ago I finished Helsreach by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. Not entirely sure what I want to read next, but my ultimate goal is to become well-read enough that I can be a decent creative writer myself.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#16 [url]

Jun 3 17 2:49 PM

plarblman wrote:
I wish I read more, but lately I've been getting more into audiobooks as it's just easier for me since there are lots of times where I could easily listen to something instead of reading a book, like commuting. I finished the LOTR trilogy not too long ago (each book clocks in at roughly 20+ hours) and a short while ago I finished Helsreach by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. Not entirely sure what I want to read next, but my ultimate goal is to become well-read enough that I can be a decent creative writer myself.

Have you ever thought of killing two or more birds with one stone and making a webcomic yourself?

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jun 6 17 2:34 PM

Charles Chroniel wrote:
My only issue with Out of Placers is that is one of those "practice comics" in which the author is learning the trade as they go. This is not necessarily a bad thing but it does detriment the comic in its potential to foreshadow or at least present richer details in each page. An example of this is Val's current problem with human proportion and physiology: while there is some degree of difference between most human characters, there is still a lack of detailing that would make them individuals with a unique presence, which means they all linger too close to the same-face syndrome (if you ever saw the human version of Lopin you may have noticed it looks like Ran just cosplayed as Lopin). This prevents each human character to be distinguished by anything else than their color and clothing, and that is a bit troublesome since Val has gone a long way mastering any other specie to the point we can tell Yinglets and Baxxids from one another, so humans don't get to have the same presence as them despite being an important faction. That's why I get the feeling that once Val gets to master his drawing the story will go up to eleven, because he already knows how to build a world and interesting characters with a good conflict, we just need a high definition perspective of it all to further immerse ourselves in the events that are happening or may happen.

By the way, I checked that list of yours, thanks for the suggestions but I don't feel like I have time to invest myself on zootopia fanfics at the moment, I'm still drained from the last time I did. I'll keep it in mind though.

I guess I'm not that savy on detecting types of webcomics - because I don't get that impression from Out of Placers. I get more of a "whoever made this can't stop comming up with new and creative shit for her setting, with the lore and shit that just oozes "I have such a fun setting in my mind, I can barely figure out how to tell it"

I've seen webcomics from reasonably seasoned cartoonists fall into the same trap, if they get a random muse up their ass and start a new original project. 90% new interesting lore, 10% characters and actual story. Speed of plot: glacial.

Shit like Goblins or Erfworld comes to mind - Thunk and the joker behind Erfworld both clearly have shitloads of lore in mind, but can't get themselves to update enough to balance their 'input' of new ideas to their output in comics.

and honestly, Out of Placers is showing a lot more promise IMO than Goblins, and considering that Erfworld has degenerated into a graphic novel with the occational illustration, then... ya

Quote    Reply   

Beardfist

Regular User

#19 [url]

Jun 7 17 8:20 AM

Bryan Burrough's 'Days of Rage,' though on the stack afterwards is a re-run of Mark Twain's 'Letters from Earth,' Huxley's 'Brave New World,' Francis Fukuyama's 'The End of History and the Last Man,' and come the 20th the newest Goodnight Punpun omnibus is translated.

I need to find a politically-minded webcomic that isn't batshit insane to read through. I love the batshit ones as much as the next guy, but I kinda want to see how that style's done properly - or, at least, not conspiratorially.

Quote    Reply   

plarblman

Living Spambot

#20 [url]

Jun 7 17 9:29 AM

Shan wrote:

plarblman wrote:

Have you ever thought of killing two or more birds with one stone and making a webcomic yourself?

A webcomic? Certainly not, partly because I'm not much of an artist (or have the cash to pay for one), and partly because I know that the webcomic format is not the best for long-form storytelling. I was thinking more along the lines of a novel, except my creative writing experience is limited and I'm currently stalled on what to do next. What I'm trying to do right now is learn more about the process and what goes into telling a good story, rather than the stream-of-consciousness writing that I used to do.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help