Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Jun 7 17 12:11 PM

plarblman wrote:

Shan wrote:

plarblman wrote:
I wish I read more, but lately I've been getting more into audiobooks as it's just easier for me since there are lots of times where I could easily listen to something instead of reading a book, like commuting. I finished the LOTR trilogy not too long ago (each book clocks in at roughly 20+ hours) and a short while ago I finished Helsreach by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. Not entirely sure what I want to read next, but my ultimate goal is to become well-read enough that I can be a decent creative writer myself.

Have you ever thought of killing two or more birds with one stone and making a webcomic yourself?

A webcomic? Certainly not, partly because I'm not much of an artist (or have the cash to pay for one), and partly because I know that the webcomic format is not the best for long-form storytelling. I was thinking more along the lines of a novel, except my creative writing experience is limited and I'm currently stalled on what to do next. What I'm trying to do right now is learn more about the process and what goes into telling a good story, rather than the stream-of-consciousness writing that I used to do.

There's always fanfiction.net

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#23 [url]

Jun 7 17 2:02 PM

I guess I'm not that savy on detecting types of webcomics - because I don't get that impression from Out of Placers. I get more of a "whoever made this can't stop comming up with new and creative shit for her setting, with the lore and shit that just oozes "I have such a fun setting in my mind, I can barely figure out how to tell it"

I've seen webcomics from reasonably seasoned cartoonists fall into the same trap, if they get a random muse up their ass and start a new original project. 90% new interesting lore, 10% characters and actual story. Speed of plot: glacial.

Shit like Goblins or Erfworld comes to mind - Thunk and the joker behind Erfworld both clearly have shitloads of lore in mind, but can't get themselves to update enough to balance their 'input' of new ideas to their output in comics.

and honestly, Out of Placers is showing a lot more promise IMO than Goblins, and considering that Erfworld has degenerated into a graphic novel with the occational illustration, then... ya

Oh no, this doesn't mean you are not savvy when it comes to webcomics, I think this is just one of those situations when two people approach the same thing from different angles. From my part I 100% love Out of Placers and eagerly await for its next page, I just think that its a bit of a shame that the first pages of the comic now feel a bit lacking in detail because the new ones are so great in comparison, so there is hardly any room for any meaningful reference to their respective scenes whenever a new page implies something from past events. But that is strictly my opinion because I'm the kind of person that likes to revisit something and find out that the meaningful things were always in the background since the beginning, so no matter what I think, Out of Placers is improving and won't stop which is always a good thing when it comes to webcomics.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Jun 7 17 3:00 PM

Charles Chroniel wrote:

I guess I'm not that savy on detecting types of webcomics - because I don't get that impression from Out of Placers. I get more of a "whoever made this can't stop comming up with new and creative shit for her setting, with the lore and shit that just oozes "I have such a fun setting in my mind, I can barely figure out how to tell it"

I've seen webcomics from reasonably seasoned cartoonists fall into the same trap, if they get a random muse up their ass and start a new original project. 90% new interesting lore, 10% characters and actual story. Speed of plot: glacial.

Shit like Goblins or Erfworld comes to mind - Thunk and the joker behind Erfworld both clearly have shitloads of lore in mind, but can't get themselves to update enough to balance their 'input' of new ideas to their output in comics.

and honestly, Out of Placers is showing a lot more promise IMO than Goblins, and considering that Erfworld has degenerated into a graphic novel with the occational illustration, then... ya

Oh no, this doesn't mean you are not savvy when it comes to webcomics, I think this is just one of those situations when two people approach the same thing from different angles. From my part I 100% love Out of Placers and eagerly await for its next page, I just think that its a bit of a shame that the first pages of the comic now feel a bit lacking in detail because the new ones are so great in comparison, so there is hardly any room for any meaningful reference to their respective scenes whenever a new page implies something from past events. But that is strictly my opinion because I'm the kind of person that likes to revisit something and find out that the meaningful things were always in the background since the beginning, so no matter what I think, Out of Placers is improving and won't stop which is always a good thing when it comes to webcomics.

Fair enough

I generally really like comics that show great progress in its art and writing. Comics like SSDD @ poisonedminds.com - it started out as a lol-random furry slice-o-life comic, but now? sweet jesus it has one of the most convoluted and deep long-game ongoing plots I have ever seen in a webcomic (with an impressive amount of lore to boot) - and this comic has a ton of hints and tidbits early on in the comic that tie in later stuff, but that's par for the course since its a british time-travel comic. Dr. Who should have this guy as a writer.

Hell, even mediocre webcomics like BIBP have come a fair bit of way, at least art-wise - but it has stagnated, hard - though that seems more to be a concious choice by the cartoonist.

schlockmercenary.com is also a great example of art and writing improvement - I mean... its been posting daily for over 17 years, and the art has improved by leaps and bounds since  then

and plarbl: what if I'm not? :p

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help