Remove this ad

Shan

Living Spambot

Lead

Jun 6 17 8:12 PM

Tags : :

OK, something I've noticed a bit of confusion or at least lack of knowledge about how to create a new review, so I was thinking that a formalised outline, say in a pinned thread as one possibility could be helpful (for example, in the Is This Comic Bad or Not section, a thread called something like "Before even starting a draft of a new review, read this."

and then saying something like:

If you think something should be reviewed, please follow these steps.

1. Start a thread in the Bad or Not/Most Wanted section as appropriate for the webcomic.

2. Make a case for why it should be reviewed in the thread. Do not start a draft until you get approval.

3. If approval is granted by a moderator saying clearly "You may start a draft of a review." (Moderators are etc) you may then begin.

4. Make this draft in your sandbox. If you do not have a sandbox/this is your first review, create one here like this etc.

5. Await assessment and possible suggested changes by a moderator etc. Make changes as indicated and await repeat assessment

At no time create a new article in the Wiki without prior clear approval. (I.e. Complete and repeat Step 5 until it's clearly stated you can create a new article).

Obviously don't word it exactly like this (you know, do it better) but the key thing is have something where anyone can just link to what to do instead of having to write and rewrite it (from those of us in the know) and something people starting out can find.

I know there's sections in the Wiki that sort of cover this but not exactly like this (in fact, it's not always realised that the forum accounts and the Wiki accounts are different accounts on different sites).

I was figuring we can use this thread to hash out ideas about all this and if a pinned thread is created, maybe even people can also specifically state in that thread as well as the webcomic specific thread a request to initiate the webcomic review creation process a la like that flowchart I made.

I mean, at the moment, it's all a bit ad hoc isn't it?

Process works:

http://badwebcomicswikiforum.yuku.com/topic/960/Starwarriors#.WTd74mh97IU

Sort of works:

http://badwebcomicswikiforum.yuku.com/topic/812/Last-Nerds-Earth-Made-Cyanide-Happiness-Guys#.WTd8kmh97IU

(No-one who's currently a mod specifically made the statement "Start a draft" before there was a draft.)

Eh ...

http://badwebcomicswikiforum.yuku.com/topic/963/Rain?page=2#.WTd8NWh97IU

(Well, this one's still fresh so I don't need to explain it.)

Systems Failure:

http://badwebcomicswikiforum.yuku.com/topic/369/Floraverse?page=2#.WTd8DGh97IU
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#1 [url]

Jun 7 17 2:53 AM

It took some egging for me to convince everyone else to incorporate a review of the "Sandra And Woo" webcomic.  Of course, since that time, said webcomic got worse and nobody would disagree that the webcomic now belongs here.

Quote    Reply   

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#4 [url]

Jun 9 17 2:29 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
With #3 it's often a matter of seeing if there's reasoned popular support as well.

Like with the original review of Adam4d.  We rejected it because it criticized thw webcomic for the wrong reasons.  I wrote what I felt to be a more valid one.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#5 [url]

Jun 9 17 2:57 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
With #3 it's often a matter of seeing if there's reasoned popular support as well.

Well, that would be still a mod decision in the end, though wouldn't it?

Of course that would be after us non-mods had said something to indicate we thought that was a good idea and then a mod seeing that popular support from the masses could then give the thumbs up based partly on that and their own opinion.

Referring back to my flowchart and the Initial Proposal Box to No to Try Again Later, that didn't contradict what you were saying before about Homestuck taking years (also the other examples which took a long time to get a go ahead) as there's no timeframe on that. It could indeed cycle around those two boxes for years before breaking free from that loop to the acceptance stage.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jun 9 17 3:11 PM

This is a good idea and the way you put it is just as helpful, Shan, specially with the chart right there. I would also like to add a suggestion of my own which I think could benefit both the reviewers and the readers:

Could we update the rating summary shown in each review?

I know the current limit is 5 points (and only because I saw the Review Template by chance) which when present signifies the webcomic covers that area like a boss, but even then I don't understand what exactly each point represents since there are so many things that could be right or wrong with a comic depending on who reviews it. Do the points signify this to all of us?

1=Terrible 2=Bad but tolerable 3=Average 4=Good 5=Awesome

Or:

1=Terrible 2=Average 3=Good 4=Great 5=Awesome

Or:

1=The hell is this crap? 2=Oh, fridge doodles 3=Meh I've seen better 4=Bland and factory-made but works 5=Awesome

Or how about:

1=Humanity is doomed 2=A monkey did it and its charming 3=Robots make good art but its kind of bland 4=Hell yeah, this rocks my socks 5=God himself has done it, my life is complete

I know BWW is not striving to be a bunch of professional critics respected by the world and used as the ultimate reference, but as a reader it always baffled me how meaningless the ratings are in the end because I didn't know what the reviewers had as a consensus to say among themselves "this means this and this means that and so numbers have weight". Where's the value?

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#8 [url]

Jun 9 17 3:20 PM

SmashLampjaw wrote:
Nah, I meant approving a comic in the first place is sometimes a reasoned popular argument thing.

... and sometimes a comic is so bizarre Oddguy just calls dibs. Ebola Files was hilariously insane.

The Ebola Files review justifies the entire existence of this site. That was glorious.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#9 [url]

Jun 9 17 5:18 PM

Charles Chroniel wrote:
This is a good idea and the way you put it is just as helpful, Shan, specially with the chart right there. I would also like to add a suggestion of my own which I think could benefit both the reviewers and the readers:

Could we update the rating summary shown in each review?

I know the current limit is 5 points (and only because I saw the Review Template by chance) which when present signifies the webcomic covers that area like a boss, but even then I don't understand what exactly each point represents since there are so many things that could be right or wrong with a comic depending on who reviews it. Do the points signify this to all of us?

1=Terrible 2=Bad but tolerable 3=Average 4=Good 5=Awesome

Star ratings on webcomics, like those on movies, consumer products, etc., are pretty arbitrary.  Adding half-star rating does help a little.  And we have [no stars given] for the truly reprehensible.,  They serve mainly as "quickie guides" to let you know what aspects of a webcomic might be good or bad.  And they also point out rare instances of webcomics being very good in oine aspect but bad in another.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jun 9 17 7:00 PM

Star ratings on webcomics, like those on movies, consumer products, etc., are pretty arbitrary.  Adding half-star rating does help a little.  And we have [no stars given] for the truly reprehensible.,  They serve mainly as "quickie guides" to let you know what aspects of a webcomic might be good or bad.  And they also point out rare instances of webcomics being very good in oine aspect but bad in another.

It does make sense if its an overview of the comic. I still would like a more defined approach but then again art is too subjective to measure in exact criteria (even if we only take into account the technical details), so I won't push the matter if everyone else feels this part of the reviews work already as intended.
Thanks for the clarification, by the way.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Jun 9 17 7:13 PM

Charles Chroniel wrote:
1=Humanity is doomed 2=A monkey did it and its charming 3=Robots make good art but its kind of bland 4=Hell yeah, this rocks my socks 5=God himself has done it, my life is complete

I don't know about everyone else, but this is the scale i've been using.

Quote    Reply   

Nomstuff

Regular User

#12 [url]

This seems like the most appropriate place to ask, is there a good way to save the images from links in reviews?

for when the plug is inevitably pulled on them. It leaves half the review useless.

Quote    Reply   

Shan

Living Spambot

#13 [url]

Nomstuff wrote:
This seems like the most appropriate place to ask, is there a good way to save the images from links in reviews?

for when the plug is inevitably pulled on them. It leaves half the review useless.

Imgur

Quote    Reply   

Long Tom

Living Spambot

#15 [url]

webkilla wrote:
You can also upload images to the wiki

Yes, that would be the best idea because images have been known to disappear from other sources.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help